Author Topic: Some questions on cheese and dough  (Read 768 times)

Offline superbob15

Some questions on cheese and dough
« on: June 21, 2012, 10:11:37 AM »
About to attempt my first chicago style Pizza. I have some questions that I couldn't find the answers to.

1). I know that I should coat the top of the crust with a layer of sliced mozzeralla, but about how much is that? I'm terrible at eye-balling measurements and I don't want to get too little/too much. Also, if I can only find low-moisture, part-skim blocks is this fine? It sounds like people here swear by whole-milk.

2). I used the recipe by DKM on the website and it used A LOT of oil in the dough. I had to work it in for a while, but a lot of the other recipes I'm finding call for little to no oil and smaller mixing times. Are these just two syles of making dough?

Thanks!

Aaron

Offline dmcavanagh

Re: Some questions on cheese and dough
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 11:33:34 AM »
If I'm  doing any style of pizza where i am putting the cheese directly on the dough, I like to use slices which I get cut from the deli. Not too thick slices layered on top of the dough do it for me. When the cheese will be underneath sauce, part skim is ok. Part skim tends to brown or burn too much when placed on top of a pie. YMMV

Online Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
Re: Some questions on cheese and dough
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 01:49:47 PM »
The keys to proper deep dish dough are (1) high oil and (2) very short knead times.

Here is VCB's recipe, which explains the whole procedure, cheese and all: http://www.realdeepdish.com/RDDHolyGrail.pdf

Really, that DKM dough recipe should be dropped from the site, or at least have a warning attached.  Deep dish knowledge on this site has come so far from that recipe...it really shouldn't be up there at all.  I'm sorry you spent your time making that dough.  I'd pitch it and go with something more authentic (e.g., no cornmeal!).

Good luck!

Garvey

« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 06:39:57 PM by Garvey »