Author Topic: New Roundboy Oven in MD!  (Read 3570 times)

Offline Bigfoot21075

New Roundboy Oven in MD!
« on: May 02, 2012, 06:41:35 AM »
Hi Everyone,

First, I wanted to thank everyone for thier help and expertise! It was a long tough decision as to how to chose an oven let alone find one that did everything I want yet did not break the rather small bank.

After a ton of back and forth, I went with the ROundboy located here;

http://www.roundboyovens.com/

Since I live only a few hours away and have a F350 truck, I decided to go up to PA and pick it up in person. This way I could meet the owners/designers and check out the operation. VERY innovative to say the least! Here are some pics, all in all we picked it up Friday, began construction on Sunday at 9am and had it done by 1pm. Looking back it would have been nice to have a third person for a few pieces (maybe I am getting old), the top pieces are hard to do alone while the wife is balancing the front and back. The construction was very easy technically and the directions were super clear.

Offline Bigfoot21075

Re: New Roundboy Oven in MD!
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 06:42:41 AM »
Setup really went well, I did have to clean up the firebricks a bit to make them all lay level.

Offline Bigfoot21075

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 06:44:58 AM »
Have been doing small fires everynight, despite a few rainey days coming up I think Saturday is Pizza day!!

Offline slybarman

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 10:03:43 AM »
Cool. I am jealous.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 12:07:46 PM »
Very nice. Looking forward to seeing the pies!
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline Ranger5oh

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 01:41:27 PM »
I am very interested to know how you like your oven.  I am in the market for one, and would like to hear your experience with this oven
Nom nom nom....

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 03:30:17 PM »
Wow, what an easy setup!  Looks great.  Very interested to see how it cooks, and what you cook in it!

Offline DarqMan

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012, 11:40:12 PM »
Very nice oven.  Wish I had one....   :-D

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 08:38:25 AM »
Cool little oven the small barrel ovens my friend sells are too small but these look right sized what the size of the finished cooking area ? and If you care to share the price ?
Have fun !!
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Bigfoot21075

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 06:06:44 AM »
Cool little oven the small barrel ovens my friend sells are too small but these look right sized what the size of the finished cooking area ? and If you care to share the price ?
Have fun !!
John

Did my first ever pizza cook on it this weekend. The floor area seems plenty big enough (I made 12" FAR FROM ROUND pies  :-D). The floor is 28" accross. I moved the coals over to the side and had plenty of room for the pie. The oven, stand, door and chimney cap go for $1999.00 with shipping included anywhere in the US (mainland). I paid $1700.00 and picked it up myself in PA.

The size held me off for a while too, I was worried that it would be too small until I talked to the owners wife. She cooks in it all the time. She cooks everything that I want to and then some, so I went for it figuring I could always sell it on Craigslist if I hated it (you could take it apart and move it if need be).

Also, they point me to one Roundboy owner who uses it mounted on a trailor as a very successful business. If he can crank out enough pizzas to make a living than I figured I would be fine.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 06:25:56 AM by Bigfoot21075 »

Phar Lap

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 02:53:53 PM »
Very interesting looking oven...what range of hearth and dome temperatures are you getting when the oven is fully fired?

Thanks!

Offline woodovenbaker

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2012, 09:56:08 PM »
Did my first ever pizza cook on it this weekend. The floor area seems plenty big enough (I made 12" FAR FROM ROUND pies  :-D). The floor is 28" accross. I moved the coals over to the side and had plenty of room for the pie. The oven, stand, door and chimney cap go for $1999.00 with shipping included anywhere in the US (mainland). I paid $1700.00 and picked it up myself in PA.

The size held me off for a while too, I was worried that it would be too small until I talked to the owners wife. She cooks in it all the time. She cooks everything that I want to and then some, so I went for it figuring I could always sell it on Craigslist if I hated it (you could take it apart and move it if need be).

Also, they point me to one Roundboy owner who uses it mounted on a trailor as a very successful business. If he can crank out enough pizzas to make a living than I figured I would be fine.
Hi there,
If you are in MD and shopped around prior to making your decision, have you looked into Bread Stone Ovens? They have the FGM oven and wanted to get your opinion as I was thinking of getting one from them. The price is about the same and the chamber of the ovens seams to have a better design.
Any help and suggestion is appreciated.
Thanks,

Offline Bigfoot21075

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2012, 07:19:24 AM »
Hi there,
If you are in MD and shopped around prior to making your decision, have you looked into Bread Stone Ovens? They have the FGM oven and wanted to get your opinion as I was thinking of getting one from them. The price is about the same and the chamber of the ovens seams to have a better design.
Any help and suggestion is appreciated.
Thanks,

I did look at Bread Stone, in fact I went to Antoine's house to see his, he has a 28" floor Grand Mere in his back yard. First off, Antoine is a first rate guy by all means. He is a professional Chef and is very knowledgable. I liked the Bread Stone and almost bought it. The ovens are true Italian wood fired ovens to be sure, very high quality.

Even his absolute best price was still twice what the Round Boy costs for the same size oven without the stand. I could not find any benefit of buying the Grand Mere over the Round Boy. The finished ovens weigh about the same so thermal mass is similar.

For me it came down to this, both ovens sem equally capable of making great pizza as well as other food. The Round Boy is half the cost and assembles in a day. YMMV.

Offline DarqMan

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2012, 07:59:41 PM »
I did look at Bread Stone, in fact I went to Antoine's house to see his, he has a 28" floor Grand Mere in his back yard. First off, Antoine is a first rate guy by all means. He is a professional Chef and is very knowledgable. I liked the Bread Stone and almost bought it. The ovens are true Italian wood fired ovens to be sure, very high quality.

Even his absolute best price was still twice what the Round Boy costs for the same size oven without the stand. I could not find any benefit of buying the Grand Mere over the Round Boy. The finished ovens weigh about the same so thermal mass is similar.

For me it came down to this, both ovens sem equally capable of making great pizza as well as other food. The Round Boy is half the cost and assembles in a day. YMMV.

My mileage is about the same as yours bigfoot.  I've been cooking in my RoundBoy every chance I get and I'm loving it. My son specifically asked if he could bring some friends over tomorrow night so they could try my pizza. To me, that's an honor.  My son is 18 and lives with his mother.  To want to come over WITH friends so they can try my pizza in the RoundBoy is a real compliment.

Offline breadstoneovens

• Vendor
    • Bread Stone Ovens
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2012, 08:50:28 PM »
First off, Antoine is a first rate guy by all means. He is a professional Chef and is very knowledgable. I liked the Bread Stone and almost bought it.
Thank you for the positive feedback. ;D Your Round Boy looks great. I hope you have a lot of fun with it.

Antoine
WFO cooking is about passion.

Offline Bigfoot21075

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2012, 08:41:29 AM »
Thank you for the positive feedback. ;D Your Round Boy looks great. I hope you have a lot of fun with it.

Antoine

Those are the absolute facts Antoine! You are first rate and the ovens you sell are terrific. In fact RobynB on here has one in her house and her pies are what I (and many others) strive for. I was just too $$ challenged.

I also appreciated the effort you put into finding a contractor to help if I needed and even going so far as supplying references! Your customer service was fantastic!

Offline slopeyjoe

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2012, 10:18:27 AM »
So now that you have had the roundhouses for a couple of months, do you have any regrets?  I am 98% buying one next week, just have a nervous buy finger!

Offline Bigfoot21075

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2012, 06:20:21 AM »
So now that you have had the roundhouses for a couple of months, do you have any regrets?  I am 98% buying one next week, just have a nervous buy finger!

Hi!

Sorry I missed your post. No - the Roundboy has been doing GREAT. For me the key was  not being whimpy when building the fire. I was building it WAY too small and was just getting a little fire going. a few pieces of kindling and a log or two will never generate a lot of heat. Now that I have it down, I have the oven ready in an hour both roof and floor.

The other big tip - get a banjo peel. It is a small 8" ish metal peel that is invaluable in making a 60 - 90 second pizza. We make pizza every Sunday at a minimum rain or shine. Our biggest problem was with pies sticking to the wood peel on launch but we are getting better at that.

The Roundboy has weathered torrentual rains and crazy outside temps with no hesitation. We are really enjoying the roundboy.

I see you are in Sheppardstown. Nothing like a handful of darts at the Meck followed by Bangers and Mash at the Bavarrian.... Mmmm mmmmm
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 06:21:52 AM by Bigfoot21075 »

Offline slopeyjoe

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2012, 07:59:51 AM »
Bigfoot,  Thanks for the info and tips.  I can't wait to get the oven, just ordered it yesterday and will be picking it up next Friday.  Can I ask where you bought your oven tools at.  Was it through GI Metals, Frankie G, Forno Bravo, or somewhere else?

Offline Bigfoot21075

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2012, 06:59:12 AM »
I bought the 40" from here

http://fgpizza.com/store/page15.html

The other regular peels I got at Bed Bath and Beyond.

pizzapan