Author Topic: Aurelios Pizza Perfected!  (Read 28689 times)

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
Re: Aurelios Pizza Perfected!
« Reply #150 on: February 19, 2015, 08:07:28 PM »
    :o   Geeezz.......you must be the owner!  :chef:

$5 Big Macs.  Cool Runnings Mon.
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline OTRChef

• FoodFamtastic
« Reply #151 on: February 19, 2015, 08:09:09 PM »
Yea that's true but malt has been around forever and modern emulsifiers have been around since the 20's.  Bakers have used those sorts of things for awhile.  I've read that there are flours that come with the malted Barley premixed in as well.  Didn't Joe start out making beef sandwiches?  Maybe he was making his own bread dough and that's how he started making pizza?  Could have just been a happy accident. 

Just pulled this one out of the oven

You know, many people have asked me "what is the difference between NY thin crust and Chicago thin crust" and I reply...if you can bend or fold the slice of pizza, it's not from Chicago!

Joe did not start making beef sandwiches...he started out making pizza!

Offline PizzaGarage

« Reply #152 on: February 19, 2015, 08:47:53 PM »
You know what else is a main ingrediant for those old school chicago thin crusts from the 50's is fine/medium ground white corn meal. Adding 5-10% white corn meal makes a major difference in the crust and you can't even tell it's corn meal in the finished crust.  Taste and texture changes, and honestly, for the better.

Offline PizzaGarage

« Reply #153 on: February 19, 2015, 08:53:23 PM »
And maybe it's me, but I think their sauce is way too sweet and my goodness they use conveyors!  They went commercial I guess with so many stores maybe they had to move to chain store ovens....

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #154 on: February 19, 2015, 08:58:04 PM »
And maybe it's me, but I think their sauce is way too sweet and my goodness they use conveyors!  They went commercial I guess with so many stores maybe they had to move to chain store ovens....

That's something about their using conveyor's because they sure seen to enjoy a lot of mileage out of those old black & white pics of Joe and his deck ovens, no?
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline PizzaGarage

« Reply #155 on: February 19, 2015, 09:25:58 PM »
Maybe, it's classic so good advertising.

I've been to quite a few ( friends like it ) and they all use the conveyor, including the lombard location which is one of the older ones....maybe someone can comment on some of the others....

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #156 on: February 19, 2015, 09:30:07 PM »
All decks at the three I go to in NWI and Homewood.  I've heard people say Homewood had conveyors, but I peeked into the kitchen and saw a ton of deck ovens in there.  That place is the Show.

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #157 on: February 19, 2015, 09:49:31 PM »
I worked at the franchise in oak brook terrace in 86, and it was there for quite a while before i worked there, at least 7 yrs...and they had conveyors.  And I remember the dough went into huge sanitary grey garbage cans.  I never remember any balls around.  I thought they'd cut it to weight and rough ball and run through a sheeter.  The memory is grey on that though.  The sausage was bulk and went into a machine called the monster that you out a pizza under it had holes and would push the bulk so it would slowly extrude then cut the sausage and it would drop on the pizza.  I had to clean the monster every night......it was a nightmare.   So wishing I paid better attention. 
"My Doctor says I swallow a lot of aggression.  Along with a lot of pizzas!!"

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #158 on: February 19, 2015, 10:09:22 PM »
I had to clean the monster every night......it was a nightmare.   So wishing I paid better attention.

We had one in '71 and hated it because of the cleaning. Boss never could get it to work right though so it didn't stick around long.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline PizzaGarage

« Reply #159 on: February 19, 2015, 10:16:35 PM »
I worked at the franchise in oak brook terrace in 86, and it was there for quite a while before i worked there, at least 7 yrs...and they had conveyors.  And I remember the dough went into huge sanitary grey garbage cans.  I never remember any balls around.  I thought they'd cut it to weight and rough ball and run through a sheeter.  The memory is grey on that though.  The sausage was bulk and went into a machine called the monster that you out a pizza under it had holes and would push the bulk so it would slowly extrude then cut the sausage and it would drop on the pizza.  I had to clean the monster every night......it was a nightmare.   So wishing I paid better attention.

That's the PizzaMatic Sausage Dispenser.   They are still made and I think, but not sure, Home Run Inn uses them....

Offline ChiG

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #160 on: February 20, 2015, 05:41:49 AM »

I remember the garbage cans as well in Homewood. They did then weigh and sheeted it. The pans were oiled well and pre set up with the dough for the next day as well. The pans were all on racks in bags in the walk in. They got pulled before the store opened, and throughout the night as needed. They had 2 conveyor ovens, and a ton of deck ovens. The kitchen was huge. The "old ovens" were mostly used for the stuffed and calabrese pizzas. Also, the were used after the conveyors for well done/extra crispy pizzas. They needed all the ovens too. That store is damn busy on the weekends.

Edit: I HATED cleaning the Monster. We had full time dishwaasher, but us kids on the line had to pre clean it to get all the sausage out of it, as not to waste it. It was a major PITA.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 05:45:02 AM by ChiG »
“Sleep late, have fun, get wild, drink whiskey and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind but falling in love and not getting arrested.”

Offline ChiG

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #161 on: February 20, 2015, 05:43:31 AM »
Chig.  Since you worked there and know the pizza what can you tell us about the products they use and the sauce.....

The sauce is made off site and came in bags. The  sausage as well. Wish I could be more helpful there.

Edit: As I stated in another thread, the cheese is 1 part chelino - 2 parts Mozzarella
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 05:50:43 AM by ChiG »
“Sleep late, have fun, get wild, drink whiskey and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind but falling in love and not getting arrested.”

Offline OTRChef

• FoodFamtastic
« Reply #162 on: February 20, 2015, 06:44:12 AM »
Two videos of the Homewood operation:

Offline ChiG

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #163 on: February 20, 2015, 09:38:15 AM »
That video reminded me. There are two of those double conveyor ovens for the restaurant and two for the pick up/delivery side as well. The view in the first video is from about the middle of the bank of ovens towards the restaurant side. it goes back about the same distance the other direction for the pick up side.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 09:40:46 AM by ChiG »

Offline OTRChef

• FoodFamtastic
« Reply #164 on: February 20, 2015, 09:56:40 AM »
Making my dough today for Sunday's pizza. I'll try the diastatic malt powder for this batch.

Offline OTRChef

• FoodFamtastic
« Reply #165 on: February 25, 2015, 07:48:36 AM »
Making my dough today for Sunday's pizza. I'll try the diastatic malt powder for this batch.

I did not see or taste any difference using the malt powder vs malt syrup. However, it is a lot cheaper to use. Since I do bake my own bread, I will keep this product on hand.

pizzapan