Author Topic: Maryland - source for GM All trumps?  (Read 2890 times)

Offline slybarman

Maryland - source for GM All trumps?
« on: June 22, 2012, 09:43:56 AM »
Hello:

Has any Maryland member come across Gold Medal all trumps in a local store - preferably a grocery chain? If so, what store and where? What size bag?

Thanks.

Offline pizzablogger

Re: Maryland - source for GM All trumps?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 09:57:02 AM »
Hello:

Has any Maryland member come across Gold Medal all trumps in a local store - preferably a grocery chain? If so, what store and where? What size bag?

Thanks.

Saval Foods in Jessup, Maryland stocks All Trumps in both the bleached/bromated and the unbleached/unbromated versions.  50 pound bags only. They will allow an individual to do a cash on delivery pick-up at their location. They need you to give them 90 minutes lead time, so call in before you arrive at the location. Pay cash at the window (cash only) and pick up your flour. Easy.

I was just there this morning for some AT unbleached/unbromated and Grande Ovoline fior-di-latte. --K  

http://savalfoods.com/
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline slybarman

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 09:59:45 AM »
Thanks for the info. I hope I can find something under 50 lbs as that would be enough for . . . . well, a very long time. If I can't maybe a few people would be interested in splitting a bag. Does all trumps only come in big bags?

I still hope to make it up to your pizza stand one weekend. Which market are you in?

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 10:00:47 AM »
@Pizzablogger, what are they charging these days for 50# sacks? Around here, I just paid $13.50 for a 25# sack of flour (not GM All Trumps), prices have gone up quite a bit since a couple of years ago.
Rest In Peace - November 1, 2014

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 10:04:43 AM »
@slybarman, If you can't swing the 50# bag, I have had very good results using, GM Better for Bread unbleached, unbromated, right off the grocery store shelf. Hell of a lot easier to get and you don't have the storage issue. Personally, I think a lot of the hype over flours is way overrated.
Rest In Peace - November 1, 2014

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 11:10:25 AM »
slybarman,

Fredís Music and Tasty Licks BBQ Supply sells a 5 lb. bag of All Trumps for 7.95 http://www.fredsmusicandbbq.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=flour   I donít know what the shipping cost is though.  Fredís business is in Shillington, Pa.  Fred is a member of the forum.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline slybarman

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012, 11:21:00 AM »
Thanks Norma. Shipping is $8.95 by USPS. That is a viable option if I cannot find it local.

scott123

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012, 12:46:59 PM »
Steve, no offense to Fred, but that's $17 for 5# of flour. 50# at Saval should run you about that much.  It's also flour that may not be all that fresh, and, more importantly, it will be spending a good chunk of time in warm UPS trucks/warehouses right now. Time and heat are highly detrimental to flour.

There's no way that the flour you get from Fred will be as fresh as Saval, who, because they're selling to industry, has a steady turnover of product.

Spend the same amount of money and go with the fresher flour.  If there's no way you'll ever be able to use the 50# before it goes rancid/buggy, then either throw half out or contact a local food bank and see if they let you donate 25#.  Food banks can get pretty fussy about open containers- if that's the case, bring the whole bag to them with two 5 gallon plastic food buckets and let them open it and split it in half. If that route becomes a hassle, put a post here offering free flour to the first person to respond. For free flour, someone will bite.

Btw, if you're purchasing bromated All Trumps for blending with other, weaker flours, that's fine, but if you're buying it to use straight for NY style, I wouldn't recommend it.   Slightly weaker bromated flours such as Spring King and Full Strength are superior in this role.  Give Saval a call- they should carry those as well.

Offline slybarman

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2012, 02:06:53 PM »
Scott:

Those are valid points to consider. Thank you. Unfortunately, the collapse of the housing market has stranded us for the time being in a house that is really too small for our needs. Storage in the kitchen and pantry is pretty tight, so I am not keen to deal with a 50 lb bag of flour.

I was looking to use the bromated all trumps straight for NY style, but I will keep an eye out for those other brands.

scott123

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2012, 02:39:04 PM »
Steve, you don't have to store 50# of flour.  Get rid of/give away what you can't store. You're not paying any more and you're getting a far fresher product.

Heck, buy the flour, and, on your way home, find a dumpster and pour out half of it (or more).

Offline slybarman

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2012, 02:40:46 PM »
Yes, if I can find it at the same price or close to it, I agree that is the way to go.

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2012, 06:14:53 PM »
I'm in MD, and interested in splitting the bag with you if you like.  Kelly probably would be too, since he's already paying for it. 
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

scott123

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2012, 07:25:22 PM »
Kelly's using unbromated AT, while Steve is looking for the bromated version.

Offline slybarman

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2012, 07:33:05 PM »
I should probably make sure I understand the advantage of the bromated flour. My understanding is that it can enhance structure as well as browning at lower temps. Is that accurate?

scott123

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2012, 07:43:56 PM »
Enhance structure- absolutely.  Bromate doesn't really effect browning, though.

Offline slybarman

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2012, 08:43:41 AM »
I'm in MD, and interested in splitting the bag with you if you like.  Kelly probably would be too, since he's already paying for it. 

OK then, we'll just need to sort out what when & where.

Offline slybarman

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2012, 11:27:58 AM »
I picked up a 50 lb bag of all trumps today - bromated. Anybody that wants some can have it for free, but you have to come pick it up and bring something to put it in.

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2012, 12:19:14 PM »
What area of MD?

Offline slybarman

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2012, 12:29:03 PM »
Riva - between Annapolis and Davidsonville.

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2012, 12:38:49 PM »
That's pretty close to me.  If I can get away this weekend, I'll PM you for directions. 

Thanks!

pizzapan