Author Topic: worst pizza you ever had  (Read 19072 times)

Offline yaddayaddayadda

• I Love Pizza!
Re: worst pizza you ever had
« Reply #60 on: October 07, 2007, 08:46:25 PM »
No votes yet for Ci Ci's?!?  Makes papa john's an pizza hut look like gourmet treats.

Offline abatardi

• It's MOOPS!
« Reply #61 on: October 07, 2007, 09:56:51 PM »
No votes yet for Ci Ci's?!?  Makes papa john's an pizza hut look like gourmet treats.

There was one vote recently.  I've never been there... I gotta try it now.  :-)

"My worst pizza vote would go to CiCi's in the Kansas City area.  It's a buffet, someone mentioned it here, it's garbage."

- aba
Make me a bicycle CLOWN!

Offline Furo

« Reply #62 on: October 08, 2007, 08:26:47 AM »
ABA,
If you value your digestive track at all please stay away from CiCi's and Pizza Street (same concept and both in Kansas City). It is the worst next to a frozen Gino's Pizza. The best thing I had at either one was the salad bar and it was slim on choices. These places stay in business by having all you can keep down buffets  at a very cheap price, like around $3.99. It might be good to take a scout troop to for a cheap feed, or your mother-in-law.
Woody.
Being crazy isn't a necessity but it sure is FUN!

Offline bolabola

• extra crispy please
« Reply #63 on: October 11, 2007, 04:56:21 PM »
I live in a very small town and new owners took over a place called Best Pizza which was horrible..
they had a picture in the local paper of the new owner tossing dough in the air and thought woohoo..maybe we have something good here..
went in on saturday night at 7pm and nobody was in the place..I ordered a large pepperoni ( $22 :o)
I ended up waiting 35 minutes for this slop..I watched him make it and couldn't believe my eyes..
he used a rolling pin to roll out the dough and then a large cookie cutter tool to make it perfectly round..
then some kind of roller to put little holes in the dough..plopped on horrible canned sauce topped with some funky kind of comercial cheese blend..
I ended up taking it home and took 2 bites and threw the rest in the trash..
It made wonder if I had to wait 35 minutes what would happen if he got busy..
I really felt sorry for him but didn't have the heart to tell him how to run his business or to checkout pizzamaking.com..
I give him no more then one year before the for sale sign comes up..
Pizza Rocks

Offline acoustic blues

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #64 on: October 11, 2007, 09:24:50 PM »
Absolute worst pizza I ever tried to consume, was from  a Pizza Hut in a small town halfway between Houston and Dallas TX.
Words cannot describe that swill.
The place was packed when I walked in, so I thought I had a chance. Boy was I wrong. All I had was one bite and threw the rest away.
And there wasn't a BBQ joint to be found to make up for it :'(

AB

Offline wolfsblood07

« Reply #65 on: October 13, 2007, 05:32:24 PM »
ABA,
If you value your digestive track at all please stay away from CiCi's and Pizza Street (same concept and both in Kansas City). It is the worst next to a frozen Gino's Pizza. The best thing I had at either one was the salad bar and it was slim on choices. These places stay in business by having all you can keep down buffets  at a very cheap price, like around $3.99. It might be good to take a scout troop to for a cheap feed, or your mother-in-law.
Woody.

Good God in heaven I forgot Pizza Street.  That one is horrid just like CiCi's.

Offline abatardi

• It's MOOPS!
« Reply #66 on: October 13, 2007, 07:43:33 PM »
So it makes me wonder about all these horrible places that actually thrive in some areas... do the local populations simply enjoy it?  Do you think they would enjoy "good" pizza if it were suddenly available to them?  I wonder because I'm moving shortly (I won't say the name of the town to protect the innocent) and I have yet to find good pizza there.  I have checked online review sites like yelp and all the places that get rated 5 stars all end up being terrible to me but the locals simply LOVE them...

So bottom line, do you think it is just a local population thing enjoying the best that they have available or is their taste just that bad and they wouldn't enjoy good pizza if it were forced down their throats?  Because we all know pizza is one of those things were everyone has an opinion and like what they like, myself included...

- aba
Make me a bicycle CLOWN!

Offline sourdough girl

• First the bread, NOW the pizza dough!
« Reply #67 on: October 13, 2007, 08:41:34 PM »
aba,
I think that sometimes ignorance IS truly bliss... you grow up eating a certain kind of food, say, PIZZA and since that's all you know, it's what you love.  When presented with what the REST of the world considers good pizza, you don't like it because it's not YOUR pizza!  That's one of the reasons that I have been chasing NEPA Tommy's pizza... happy memories of summers in Pennsy, just me, my mom and doting grandparents in, basically, a foreign land to me.  And now, when I have finally captured it, I have proven to myself that, while good, I have romanticized it because it's a happy memory.  The pizza wasn't great...(and it wasn't trash) but the quest is done and I am sated.  I have started making REAL pizza again, and will only relapse once in a while to the era of Tommy's... when I'm feeling nostalgic for "the good old days"!

~sd
Never trust a skinny cook!

Offline Furo

« Reply #68 on: October 13, 2007, 10:24:00 PM »
aba & sdg,
I think that economics also play into their success. Many folks want a place thats quick and cheap, look at how many Chinese buffets there are and how many of those are horrible. So many families would rather fill their bellies and run than take the time to have a real meal. If they can eat all they want then greed kicks in and whether it actually tastes good becomes secondary. Generally the places that serve a decent meal are higher priced and slower paced, sadly I have seen some good places die out by trying to compete with these "cattle troughs".

aba,
Maybe if you let the location you are going to be known then some of the folks on the forum could make some suggestions for places to try. True that everybody's tastes in foods can vary greatly but as is shown by the number of people on this forum who try to replicate certain styles and types of pizza, we also share many specific tastes.
Good luck to you where ever you move.

Woody.

Being crazy isn't a necessity but it sure is FUN!

Offline Bryan S

« Reply #69 on: October 14, 2007, 12:27:31 AM »
So it makes me wonder about all these horrible places that actually thrive in some areas... do the local populations simply enjoy it?  Do you think they would enjoy "good" pizza if it were suddenly available to them?  I wonder because I'm moving shortly (I won't say the name of the town to protect the innocent) and I have yet to find good pizza there.  I have checked online review sites like yelp and all the places that get rated 5 stars all end up being terrible to me but the locals simply LOVE them...

So bottom line, do you think it is just a local population thing enjoying the best that they have available or is their taste just that bad and they wouldn't enjoy good pizza if it were forced down their throats?  Because we all know pizza is one of those things were everyone has an opinion and like what they like, myself included...

- aba
I think what happens is this. If the place you live in has no good pizza shops then you tend to like what's available. One of our top 3 places to get pizza before I started making my own no longer gets my order for pizza these days. They still make the best Boli but compared to my pizza, they get a YUK! from us for their pizza. I still on a very rare occasion will order from # 1 & 2 but only once in the last year.  My stepdaughter is a huge fan of crappy pizza and refuses to eat mine. " the school pizza is better Bryan" Man that hurts Bad to hear them words. :'(  But then again she would rather eat a frozen dinner than a home cooked meal.  ??? Kids these days.   ::)
Making great pizza and learning new things everyday.

Offline abatardi

• It's MOOPS!
« Reply #70 on: October 14, 2007, 08:45:44 PM »
My stepdaughter is a huge fan of crappy pizza and refuses to eat mine. " the school pizza is better Bryan" Man that hurts Bad to hear them words. :'(  But then again she would rather eat a frozen dinner than a home cooked meal.  ??? Kids these days.   ::)

haha that's too bad.  My wife is the same way though... pizza hut fanatic... bleh.

- aba
Make me a bicycle CLOWN!

Offline wolfsblood07

« Reply #71 on: March 03, 2009, 05:59:29 PM »
Bump!

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #72 on: March 03, 2009, 07:29:08 PM »
My own. The very first one to be exact...  :-X

Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline mmarston

• I can stop eating Pizza any time I want!
« Reply #73 on: March 03, 2009, 08:06:14 PM »
My first pizza was awful. It looked great but the dough was not fully cooked.
Yuck
Nobody cares if you can't dance well.  Just get up and dance.  Dave Barry

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #74 on: March 04, 2009, 12:32:12 PM »
I have not been to CiCi's or Pizza Street and probably never will, so I can't really say if they are the worst.

The most overrated would have to be Mystic Pizza, in Mystic, Connecticut.

The worst pizza I had recently was from Jerry's Bait Shop in Lenexa, KS.  They used to be an outlet for Pyramid Pizza, but apparently after the previous owners of Pyramid sold out to another owner, the licenses for various bars and restaurants for making Pyramid Pizza went with them.  What they NOW serve is some kind of poor, genetic clone of the previous Pyramid pizza.  Both my wife and I were extremely underwhelmed.  We went out to another, more reliable pizza place last night just to get the taste out that was still lingering in our collective memory. :-D
Let them eat pizza.

Offline lilbuddypizza

• Cheesy dude
« Reply #75 on: June 01, 2009, 10:53:24 PM »
Worst pie, New Orleans ,French Quarter, Mardi Gras, '06...had a craving after too many bead tosses and hurricane drinks, stopped off at a Daquari to go stand, who also hawked pizza.  Flat, 6 day old crust, plain tomato paste, and polyester cheese product.  I barely made it back to my room and then...
I think that may have been the year I was last there------those pizza joints were on EVERY corner it seems. Too bad.

Offline Jose L. Piedra

• Ebeddu e cavuru, e beddu davveru!
« Reply #76 on: June 03, 2009, 02:25:41 AM »
It was at a horrible buffet in suburban Montreal five years ago. The sauce tasted like canned tomato soup with added milk. Now let us never speak of it again.

-JLP
Scarsu d'ogghiu, e riccu di provolazzu ::)

Offline sabinoapizza

« Reply #77 on: June 03, 2009, 05:12:45 PM »
I believe that the worst tasting pizza still is satisfying on some level.
Sabino

Offline Miami_Pizzaman

« Reply #78 on: June 21, 2009, 11:05:34 AM »
Ok, lemme think ...

worst pizza-chain pizza: "Mia" from Pizza Hut. I wont eat it unless I'm starving. Little Ceasars tastes cheap but even that I find "charming".

worst supermarket frozen pizza: Ellio's pizza. To me it tastes like you're eating your freezer's inside panel of plastic. It has so little cheese it seems to be able to move freely in the pasty pool of sauce. (but i'll still eat it if i'm hungry enough.)

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #79 on: June 22, 2009, 10:05:20 PM »

Can't say much for their pizza, but the local franchise supports the heck out of the PTA and the cub scouts, so we eat our fair share...
Pizza is not bread.

pizzapan