Author Topic: Correct Pizza Oven Temperature  (Read 5877 times)

Offline MikeGR11

Correct Pizza Oven Temperature
« on: April 15, 2011, 09:45:23 AM »
I have a commercial pizza oven with stone on the bottom and a heating element on the top. There is also individual temp controls for the top and bottom. My question is: what is the correct temperature to cook the pizzas? do i need both the top and bottom heating elemnets on or just the bottom? FYI, i will be using pizza screens and my pizza is american style like papa johns and dominos.

Thanks, Mike.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
Re: Correct Pizza Oven Temperature
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 02:13:14 PM »
Mike;
It sounds like you might have a Bakers Pride deck oven. Normally, the top heat is expressed in low, medium or high, while the bottom (deck) temperature is set to a specific temperature. Since your oven sounds like an electric oven, some changes in temperature might be needed, but this is what I use as a basic setup for an oven of this type:
Bottom temperature 500 to 550F
Top temperature medium heat. Use the top heat adjustment to get the toppings baked along with the bottom of the crust.
Bake time will vary, but I normally look for something in the 12 to 15-minute range.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline jamieg

Re: Correct Pizza Oven Temperature
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 01:00:54 PM »
What if I could specify the exact temperature for both the bottom and top of the oven?

Can anybody recommend a ratio between top and bottom - bearing in mind the followiong conditions -

- the height of the oven is about 4 inches
- the oven is gas powered with a steal frame
- the pizza will be cooked directly on the stone floor (no screens)
- the flour is not Caputo (12% protein)
- hydration 70% (bear in mind the flour is dryer than Caputo - so itís more like 60%
- the cheese is dry mozzarella

The advice Iíve received so far is 330-350C on the base and 400C+ on the top.

Thank you,

jamie