Author Topic: Mozzarella making for neapolitan pies  (Read 645 times)

Offline fagilia

Mozzarella making for neapolitan pies
« on: September 26, 2014, 03:35:39 PM »
Hi.
I have tried this in the cheese part of the forum but with no success.
Iam interested in making my own mozzarella since close to my house there is a cheesemaker.
In sweden you cant buy curd and iam not interested in the citric acid easy version. I want to make the real deal with culture and so on. I can get a hold on all nessesary equipment i just need a good recipie or way of doing things the right way.
i really do have hope for this ;D since its one of my last pieces for a good margherita.

Offline sub

Re: Mozzarella making for neapolitan pies
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 05:12:13 PM »
Ciao fagilia,

this may be helpfull:

Lavorazione del fiordilatte

DISCIPLINARE DI PRODUZIONE DEL FORMAGGIO "FIOR DI LATTE APPENNINO MERIDIONALE.pdf

La lavorazione

Il Fior di Latte Appennino Meridionale prevede una lavorazione nella quale il latte intero crudo, proveniente da 1 o pi mungiture consecutive (che devono essere effettuate nell'arco di 16 ore) sia ricavato da bestiame bovino alimentato con essenze tipiche della zona di produzione e costituite prevalentemente da leguminose e da cereali conservate allo stato fresco e conservato. consentito l'uso di mangimi concentrati ed integratori. Il latte deve giungere al caseificio entro le 36 ore dalla prima mungitura e non pu essere termizzato o pastorizzato.

Fior di Latte

Il latte viene scaldato a 33-38C e vengono aggiunti , prima siero-innesto naturale proveniente dalla zona di produzione e poi caglio naturale liquido di vitello. La coagulazione avviene in 20-40 minuti , quindi la cagliata viene rotta fino alla riduzione della massa caseosa in granuli della dimensione di una nocciola. Quindi la cagliata viene fatta fermentare naturalmentefino alla sua maturazione sotto siero che avviene in 3-5 ore dall'aggiunta del caglio. Non consentito l'uso di acidi organici ovvero di correttori di pH di natura chimica.

Al termine della maturazione il pH risulta compreso tra i 5 e i 5,3, a questo punto la cagliata viene ridotta in listarelle poste in appositi recipientinei quali con aggiunta di acqua quasi bollente la cagliata viene fatta filare.

La pasta che si ottiene in questo modo viene tagliata in piccoli pezzi e modellata. Una volta ottenuta la forma questa viene fissata tramite l'immersione in vasche contenenti acqua fredda e poi le forme vengono immerse in salamoia ( la salatura pu essere anche effettuata durante la filatura). Non ammesso l'utilizzo dei conservanti.
mozzarelladop.it    disciplinare_mozzarella_1993.pdf

CAGLIO LIQUIDO NATURALE DI VITELLO
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 05:28:02 PM by sub »

Offline fagilia

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 05:52:12 PM »
Non consentito l'uso di acidi organici ovvero di correttori di pH di natura chimica.

Thank you sub this is a start. Funny that this was exactly what i was asking for ;D

But please let information rain iam sure more people out there are interested hopefully.

Do you need an earth ph meter to check the ph in curd or can you use a water ph meter and put in the curdwater? i ask since i have understod the ph is very important.

Offline fagilia

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 05:54:09 PM »
Does anyone knows how polly o for example stabalize the ph in the curd? How does one stop the ph to drop at the right moment?

Offline sub

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 05:55:56 PM »
Thank you sub this is a start. Funny that this was exactly what i was asking for ;D

You're welcome !

I can't help you more, I never tried to make my own mozzarella.

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2014, 06:50:01 PM »
I'm going to try to make some this weekend so if I am successful I will let you know. There are a bunch of videos on youtube showing how to do it. Basically you make the curds with citric acid and rennet, drain them, add hot water, and make the mozzarella. 

Offline fagilia

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2014, 01:24:54 AM »
Yes tinroofrusted.
makinf mozzarella with citric acid is actually pretty easy but is not the way it is made in naples. They use a culture more like normal cheesmaking to lower the ph. Sort of like we do with our starters.

But good luck with making it. Its actually pretty fun.

ok tganks sub. Hope somebody else has made in thd original way..

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2014, 09:33:33 AM »
Does anyone knows how polly o for example stabalize the ph in the curd? How does one stop the ph to drop at the right moment?

Don't they use vinegar?
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2014, 09:55:51 AM »
Do you need an earth ph meter to check the ph in curd or can you use a water ph meter and put in the curdwater? i ask since i have understod the ph is very important.

I'm not sure you need a pH meter at all. I would think that lots of mozzarella has been made in Italy without the aid of a pH meter. As the curd is ripening, you could cut off small pieces, put them in hot water, and see if they stretch. They won't stretch well until the pH is right. As for stopping the pH drop, that will happen when you put the curds in the hot water to stretch.

Will you make ricotta from the whey separated from the curd and use the remaining hot whey to stretch your curds?
Pizza is not bread.

Offline theppgcowboy

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2014, 01:07:22 PM »
Can Buffalo curd be had in the US?

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2014, 01:32:07 PM »
These are two recipes for making mozzarella.  http://www.culturesforhealth.com/make-traditional-mozzarella-cheese-recipe  and http://www.theprairiehomestead.com/2013/05/how-to-make-mozzarella-cheese-part-two-lets-do-it.html  I have never tried either though.  I went to a mozzarella making class at 
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=33290.msg329948#msg329948 The mozzarella was made from curds, but maybe the videos might help some.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline fagilia

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2014, 02:41:59 PM »
Ok thanks Norma. I will try the recipies at home first and then try to copy it at the cheese making Place.
The Machines there work in a different way than at home. They crash the curds into each other in a process to loose whey.
Last time i was there i Think i pikced the curds to late in the process since the final result was a bit too dry.

When i have been talking to pizzamakers in Naples they have told me they actually like dry fior di latte. The boss pizzamaker at franco manca said the same. Actually from my limited experience most fior di latte i have seen in real pizzerias have been drier and more yellow than the german bagged version iam able to buy in sweden.

Thanks Craig for the tip. Ill try and do this mozzarella as a start and maby ricotta later. I asked about the ph meter since last time i got curds i had to wait for 2 Days Before the ph came down to the right level. Probably the cheese they were making wasent mean to be so sour. Probably they have to amp up the Culture to fit mozzarella. I will follow one of Normas tips and see if it works faster.
But i have also read that agerola mozzarella ripens for at least a day to get more flavour. Almost as our dough. Dont know if it is true though.

I did read you can slo freeze the curds when it is at the right PH. Is that true?

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2014, 03:09:29 PM »
Ok thanks Norma. I will try the recipies at home first and then try to copy it at the cheese making Place.
The Machines there work in a different way than at home. They crash the curds into each other in a process to loose whey.
Last time i was there i Think i pikced the curds to late in the process since the final result was a bit too dry.

When i have been talking to pizzamakers in Naples they have told me they actually like dry fior di latte. The boss pizzamaker at franco manca said the same. Actually from my limited experience most fior di latte i have seen in real pizzerias have been drier and more yellow than the german bagged version iam able to buy in sweden.

Thanks Craig for the tip. Ill try and do this mozzarella as a start and maby ricotta later. I asked about the ph meter since last time i got curds i had to wait for 2 Days Before the ph came down to the right level. Probably the cheese they were making wasent mean to be so sour. Probably they have to amp up the Culture to fit mozzarella. I will follow one of Normas tips and see if it works faster.
But i have also read that agerola mozzarella ripens for at least a day to get more flavour. Almost as our dough. Dont know if it is true though.

I did read you can slo freeze the curds when it is at the right PH. Is that true?

I don't know about freezing and quality.  I would guess it would stop the pH drop as it would pretty much stop biological activity.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2014, 06:01:23 PM »
I don't know about freezing and quality.  I would guess it would stop the pH drop as it would pretty much stop biological activity.

Craig,

The Caputo Brothers Creamery does freeze the curds because they said the pH would change too much if the curds were not frozen.  Your guess was right the freezing is to stop the pH from changing.  8) There is a fine line for the pH from what I learned about in the class to be able to make fresh mozzarella.  The Caputo Brothers use a thermophilic starter culture from Canada to make their curds.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline fagilia

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2014, 01:49:26 PM »
Ok, thank you so far.
Yes the quality will probably change a bit but hopefully it will still be better than the mozarella i can get a hold of here.
We will see the Project is time consuming but i will try to make some soon.

Offline fagilia

pizzapan