Author Topic: Another Blackstoner - my adventures in pizza making  (Read 692 times)

Offline byamit

Another Blackstoner - my adventures in pizza making
« on: June 22, 2014, 07:37:10 PM »
I bought the Blackstone last November and have been working on making consistently awesome pizzas. I've been lurking on this forum for a while reading up on what everyone has learned. This weekend I finally had enough time to document some of my work and wanted to share with folks.

First off, as others have pointed out the Blackstone is a great device for folks who can't afford or don't have the space for a WFO. I'm renting so a WFO is on hold until I buy a place. In terms of managing the oven, here's some of what I've learned:
  • As someone suggested in another Blackstone thread, I bought two of these spatulas. Pop the heads of the spatula, bend them, and use them as a chauflector.
  • I start the oven on full power and get the center floor of the stone to about 825. Then I turn it down to 1/2 power to maintain the temp
  • Once I launch the pizza I turn the oven back to full power. The chauflector directs the flame right to the crust so it helps with the leoparding.
  • I originally used this bearing mod but have since removed it. It lifted the stone too high and caused my cheese and other toppings to burn before the pizza was done.
For the dough, I owe almost all my knowledge to this forum. I started by using the Dough Calculator to get the measurements right. I've been using IDY though I haven't looked much into ischia starters. Right now, I'm focusing more on coming up with better storage for my dough. The fridge is too cold, so right now using a cooler.

For the sauce, my local grocer started carrying the Cento San Marzanos. I use an OXO food mill with the largest grating plate and just pour the whole can into the mill. The only thing I add is a dash of salt.

For toppings, I've been having some fun experiments. The classic margherita is with fresh basil and mozzarella. I'm using Belgioioso which I'm not too happy with. It's too dry and can become rubbery sometimes. But I've also been trying out some new things. This weekend I tried using some fake pepperoni since I'm vegetarian, and I even tried a Paneer Tikka Masala pizza using the curry as the sauce.

So far everything has been pretty amazing. I've included some pictures below of the creations from this weekend. I tried a lower hydration dough (61%) than I usually do to see what happened. What I saw was that the crust didn't as much rise to it and the pizza definitely had more of a hold to it. It was still soft but definitely felt dryer.

Once I have a chance, I'll post my full toolset.

Offline vandev

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Another Blackstoner - my adventures in pizza making
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 09:41:45 PM »
Looks really nice...  I can tell you have been practicing..  Very nice leoparding...

C.

Offline dylandylan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 02:41:37 AM »
Great pies!   Good to meet a fellow vegetarian too.   I've also ventured into veg curry pizzas too - yours looks better than my attempts. That's good looking fake pepperoni, I can't find anything down here even close to that.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 08:31:46 AM »
I even tried a Paneer Tikka Masala pizza using the curry as the sauce.
Nice pies, but I'm especially in on that Paneer Tikka Masala.  Curry as the sauce combines two of my favorites (pizza & Indian food).  Thanks for posting,.
Dave

Offline byamit

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 10:41:10 PM »
Thanks! Now that I'm pretty comfortable with the dough and baking process it's fun to try out more eclectic toppings.

Offline byamit

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2014, 05:19:04 PM »
Here's a take on Saturday morning breakfast. Garlic infused oil, red and purple potatoes, cheese, and an egg. Topped it off with some salsa.

Offline byamit

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2014, 05:29:52 PM »
And one more from last night. Garlic infused olive oil, tomatoes, grilled eggplant, mozzarella, and basil. This one definitely goes down as the tastiest pizza to date.

Offline MotoMannequin

• My Photography Website
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2014, 07:41:27 PM »
Looks great! Funny coincidence we picked up some great looking eggplant at the farmers' market this morning, so planning grilled eggplant pizza tonight as well.

Offline dbarneschi

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2014, 05:53:35 PM »
Pies look fantastic! That leoparding is amazing. Inventive toppings as well.

Offline vandev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 05:52:07 PM »
looking very nice... ;D

Chris

Offline crkoller

• Food is an important part of a balanced diet
« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 07:50:28 PM »
Curry pizza, how have I never made this?! fellow vegetarian here too make sure you try this - http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=30522.msg307777#msg307777  It's my favorite non-traditional pie.

I am wondering if you could adjust the dough to a naan - neapolitan dough hybrid by adding yogurt or using ghee to enchance and flavor the crust...might justify some experimentation