Author Topic: My first attempts at neopolitan. Looking for feedback.  (Read 240 times)

Offline Jmancuso

• I Love Pizza!
My first attempts at neopolitan. Looking for feedback.
« on: April 21, 2014, 07:21:01 PM »
Here are a few photos from my first bakes in my blackstone oven. Overall I have been very impressed with the oven and with the pies, I just want to get your professional opinions. All of my pies so far have been baked in 75-120 seconds at stone temps ranging from 780f-900f experimenting with different temps and times each bake session. One thing that I have been experiencing and I'm not sure if it's good or bad technically is  puffiness of the crust near the center of the pie. I'm not sure if this is from excessive oven spring. I have been stretching the pies very thin, some to the point of the sauce soaking through if I don't get them launched fast enough but the center still ends up puffy. I personally like it but my fiancÚ would prefer a more soggy center requiring a knife and fork like some NP places we have tried.

Thank you
James

Offline Pab

• I Love Pizza!
Re: My first attempts at neopolitan. Looking for feedback.
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 06:16:56 AM »
Looks really good,and i bet it taste better.

I wish i could do just as good,but i`m struggling to get the puffiness.

May i ask what dough ratio ingredients you are using ?

I say again,for a first attempt your on to a winner.

Regards

Pab.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 02:21:38 PM by Pab »

Online mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 01:24:46 PM »
James, your pies look great. I see what you mean, you can see light thru the center of the cooked pie. I would think from your description that you are opening your skins pretty thin in the center and that may be contributing to the bubbles. No weight to hold the skin in place.
It may be helpful if we knew the weight of the dough ball and the size of the skin.
I would also like to see a list of ingredients and %.
Very Nice!

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline Jmancuso

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 09:05:16 PM »
Thanks for the kind words.
For the dough I have been using
100% caputo (red bag)
60,63,64% water ( I tried a different amount each time so far. I like the 60% best)
3% salt
.013% ADY

For the most part I have been following everything in Craig's instructions but fermenting at room temp 68-70 and using ADY. I ball after 24 hr bulk and if I notice it rising too quick I will put them in the fridge and take them out depending on how much time I think they need before baking 6-12 hrs 
I have been using 250 gr dough balls and stretching them to 11-12 inches. I have tried 240gr and 280 also but so far the 250 has been working the best for me.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 10:57:13 PM »
Looking good.

Is it a different kind of mozz on each pie?
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline Jmancuso

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 11:20:54 PM »
Looking good.

Is it a different kind of mozz on each pie?

Yes! Good eye. The first picture is Galbani by precious, it didn't seem to melt very good. The third picture is from an Italian market called Caputos that makes their own mozz. And the second is from another Italian market called Granatos I'm not sure if that one is store made.
Granatos also has their own label of canned tomatoes, in not sure of the manufacturer though. I have liked the crushed tomatoes the best, just putting them on plain and salting once they're on the pie. I'm not happy with my hand crushing of plum tomatoes. I have tried seeding them and then crushing by hand or pulsing in the food processor and blending back some of the juice for the right consistancy but I must be doing something wrong. I'm only ending up getting enough sauce for 1.5 pies from a 28 oz can.