Author Topic: Going to the Maximus  (Read 173 times)

Offline narmnaleg

• I Love Pizza!
Going to the Maximus
« on: September 16, 2014, 07:31:37 AM »
Hi all,

I've been on this forum only a couple of weeks and have been consistently wowed by the mastery of the members here. You have inspired me to try and improve my skills in the art of pizza making.

I received my Maximus WFO a couple of weeks ago and have been making pizza in it twice a week since ;D.
Thanks to all the information on this forum even my first attempt tasted great although it was a very stressful affair, with flour ending up in all the wrong places and only 5 out of seven pizzas that were eaten. :-[

Attempts two and three saw me fail by an even bigger margin, as I made newbie mistakes with my dough (dry skin, holes, sticking to pizza peel, sauce getting under the pizza somehow, etc.).

I thought I'd share my fourth attempt last Sunday as I felt for the first time more relaxed as I went through the now more familiar process. It felt actually relaxing and almost meditative. All feedback is welcome.

The dough was 1Kg Caputo flour, 65% Hydration, 20g salt and 7g IDY. I had it looking the part, kneading it multiple times. I became a little worried when I took it out of the fridge after 12 hours to find it had risen too much. It seemed to have giant bubbles on top and all the dough balls had got stuck to each other. I persevered and found that for the first time I was able to open the dough balls (is that what they are called? sounds like something Bart Simpson would say  :-D) properly. Ending up with what started to resemble proper pizza.

Here are my attempts with Lil Max:
- Broccoli ham mushroom
- Marge

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Going to the Maximus
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 09:27:53 AM »
Looks like you might need a bit more coals+fire.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline narmnaleg

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Going to the Maximus
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 06:24:11 PM »
Yes I think you're right. It's always going to be a struggle to get Max to Neapolitan high temps. The above were cooked at a fairly steady 550f. They took around 3 minutes.

Next time I will try to maintain the fire at around 650f. I'm still coming to grips with this oven.