Author Topic: Not San Marzano, but giving the local farm a shot for fun Good Sauce!  (Read 464 times)

Online jim baugh

• Jim's Galley Blog
My wife Donna said her friend Gene has all the fresh vine ripe tomatoes I can pic, soooo seeing how this Saturday is Neapolitan Pizza Night, thought is time to try a homemade pizza sauce with tomatoes from the Eastern Shore. The sauce turned out incredible. I used three different tomatoes, the best being a plum tomato he was growing and had a ton of them.
Simply skinned, seeded, then I took the meat of the tomatoes and did about a one minute sautť with a dash of olive oil and basil just to tenderize the meat a little. Worked like a charm. Also added just a dash of sea salt. Tasted great and look forward to using this for our pies this Saturday.
Next for tonight, making the Mozzarella cheese with extra butter fat.
Jim Baugh
Jim Baugh Outdoors TV

Offline Obsauced

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Not San Marzano, but giving the local farm a shot for fun Good Sauce!
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 11:41:09 PM »
My wife Donna said her friend Gene has all the fresh vine ripe tomatoes I can pic, soooo seeing how this Saturday is Neapolitan Pizza Night, thought is time to try a homemade pizza sauce with tomatoes from the Eastern Shore. The sauce turned out incredible. I used three different tomatoes, the best being a plum tomato he was growing and had a ton of them.
Simply skinned, seeded, then I took the meat of the tomatoes and did about a one minute sautť with a dash of olive oil and basil just to tenderize the meat a little. Worked like a charm. Also added just a dash of sea salt. Tasted great and look forward to using this for our pies this Saturday.
Next for tonight, making the Mozzarella cheese with extra butter fat.

some of the best tomatoes I had were the "jersey fresh" tomatoes. i use them for my NP pies (shhhhh)
instagram.com/obsauced

Online jim baugh

• Jim's Galley Blog
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 09:18:20 AM »
Yeah it is hard to turn down fresh tomatoes during the summer. Turned out a very good sauce. Made my "70's Motz cheese recipe last night. Will bake on Saturday night. Cant wait!
Jim Baugh
Jim Baugh Outdoors TV

Online jim baugh

• Jim's Galley Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 09:53:02 AM »
Here was last nights pie. The sauce was really good. First go at peeling and seeding fresh ones, will be doing from now on as long as I can get vine ripe.
Jim Baugh
Jim Baugh Outdoors TV

Online mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 09:59:09 AM »
Jim:

The views of the bottom of the pie were very brief - but it looked to me like the bottom was very blackened - I think you are having a heat balance issue - bottom is burning up before the top is done (video time at about 0:55).  I think you are overheating the stone beyond the capabilities of the oven.  Does that sound accurate?
Mitch

Online jim baugh

• Jim's Galley Blog
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 10:48:08 AM »
It was not perfect but not that bad. I left the pie on too long. Should have been off in probably around 35 seconds, then just domed it off for about 10. Itís a timing thing I am working on when baking temps at 900-1000, It all happens pretty quick! When the oven cools down a bit, around 700-800 deck that is when I cook the rest of the pies and the bottom is much more forgiving in a 2:30 or 3 min pie. But, still working on 900 degree version. It is just hard for me to take a pie off in 30 seconds, just not used to it, but in this oven when the temp gets up there, that is about how long it takes.
The cheese is homemade and high butterfat. I figure the only way to cook it at those temps and not caramelize is to bake the pie for fifteen seconds, then put the cheese on. But that seems clumsy in only a 30 sec to one min pie. I may just use the homemade high butterfat cheese on the lower temp baked pies, easier to control. Working on it.
The sauce was the real test here. First time I hand peeled, seeded and strained tomatoes to make sauce. It did make a difference. By making your own, I am pretty sure you skip one heat cycle on the tomatoes, because I am not heating them in the can (canning) so the tomatoes are even more fresh tasting. Really all I did was boil them very quickly, then peeled and seeded them. I braised them in a pan for about a minute and added dash of Sea Salt and basil, I think that was about it but only for a minute or two to incorporate the basil and soften the meat. Then put in the fridge, Worked really great.
I did top the sauce with thin sliced fresh romas, that is what you see on top of the sauce. Also the sauce was hand crushed not blended.
I will do this again but only during tomato season. I love cento canned san marzannoís, and use those when I donít have the time or canít find fresh tomatoes here. Our season is a little short, July-Sept is about it. Sure wish it was longer!
PS: I don't have any stills of last nights bottom crust, but I did get one from the last bake, the deck here was around 750-800. I think this one was around a 90 second to two minute pie
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 11:17:43 AM by jim baugh »
Jim Baugh
Jim Baugh Outdoors TV

Offline invertedisdead

• Ryan
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 12:25:30 PM »
It was not perfect but not that bad. I left the pie on too long. Should have been off in probably around 35 seconds, then just domed it off for about 10. Itís a timing thing I am working on when baking temps at 900-1000, It all happens pretty quick! When the oven cools down a bit, around 700-800 deck that is when I cook the rest of the pies and the bottom is much more forgiving in a 2:30 or 3 min pie. But, still working on 900 degree version. It is just hard for me to take a pie off in 30 seconds, just not used to it, but in this oven when the temp gets up there, that is about how long it takes.
The cheese is homemade and high butterfat. I figure the only way to cook it at those temps and not caramelize is to bake the pie for fifteen seconds, then put the cheese on. But that seems clumsy in only a 30 sec to one min pie. I may just use the homemade high butterfat cheese on the lower temp baked pies, easier to control. Working on it.
The sauce was the real test here. First time I hand peeled, seeded and strained tomatoes to make sauce. It did make a difference. By making your own, I am pretty sure you skip one heat cycle on the tomatoes, because I am not heating them in the can (canning) so the tomatoes are even more fresh tasting. Really all I did was boil them very quickly, then peeled and seeded them. I braised them in a pan for about a minute and added dash of Sea Salt and basil, I think that was about it but only for a minute or two to incorporate the basil and soften the meat. Then put in the fridge, Worked really great.
I did top the sauce with thin sliced fresh romas, that is what you see on top of the sauce. Also the sauce was hand crushed not blended.
I will do this again but only during tomato season. I love cento canned san marzannoís, and use those when I donít have the time or canít find fresh tomatoes here. Our season is a little short, July-Sept is about it. Sure wish it was longer!
PS: I don't have any stills of last nights bottom crust, but I did get one from the last bake, the deck here was around 750-800. I think this one was around a 90 second to two minute pie

Maybe the lighting but the pizza looks super crispy for a 2 minute bake. Mine are usually more spotted.

Online mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2015, 12:27:42 PM »
Maybe the lighting but the pizza looks super crispy for a 2 minute bake. Mine are usually more spotted.

Same here.  My guess is you are unlikely to get the right balance for Neapolitans, especially sub-60 seconds.  But, if you like it, then that is all that matters!
Mitch

Online jim baugh

• Jim's Galley Blog
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2015, 12:48:33 PM »
Yeah it is crispy but that is just my preference. We could soften it up a bit by throwing a pan in for a part of the bake. Your pies look great!
Jim Baugh
Jim Baugh Outdoors TV

Offline invertedisdead

• Ryan
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2015, 01:57:25 PM »
Yeah it is crispy but that is just my preference. We could soften it up a bit by throwing a pan in for a part of the bake. Your pies look great!

Thanks, limited by the broiler from getting any further with my quasi-neapolitan. I know I can make the bottom better but I don't think the top will keep up.
Are you stretching the pizza skin with oil instead of flour?

Online jim baugh

• Jim's Galley Blog
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2015, 06:19:59 PM »
I put a little evoo on the dough when I ball, that is usually the day before a bake. I donít put much, and there is nothing in the dough but 00 flour, sea salt, and my sourdough starter, and filtered water.
If your doing the oven, a good thing we do is broil off the top, high rack, and leave the door cracked so the element will not cycle. After a couple minutes, great oven spring and char, then I move it to the very bottom rack just over the element, also leaving the door cracked so no cycling. Also we pre heat the  oven for an hour before baking. This works really good, gets a great crust. I usually do this in a pan with evoo, gets a very crispy crust, just delicious.
Jim Baugh
Jim Baugh Outdoors TV

pizzapan