Author Topic: Mozzarella browning in WFO  (Read 243 times)

Offline kolo-01

• I Love Pizza!
Mozzarella browning in WFO
« on: July 21, 2016, 03:05:01 PM »
Hi, wanted to ask about anyone's opinions on the reasons behind my mozzarella is browning in my WFO @ around 420c and what can be done about it because its something I'm trying to avoid, I'm guessing its likely down to the type of mozzarella I'm using, its pretty good quality but is in a block and doesn't feel particularly moist, would anyone recommend moistening it up with a little water, or would wetter mozzarella be the only option? Has anyone else dealt with this?

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
Re: Mozzarella browning in WFO
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 03:11:36 PM »
Can you be more specific about the cheese you are using?

Brand/type?
Whole milk or part skim?

If you are using part skim, that can be the issue.  Also, for many/most pies baked at that temperature fresh whole milk mozzarella is used.  Certainly not dry - often so moist people dry it first.

I usually use brick type mozzarella - not the fresh mozzarella - and never have a browning issue as long as it is whole milk and not part skim.
Mitch

“We hate math,” says 4 in 10 – a majority of Americans

Offline kolo-01

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 03:46:11 PM »
To be honest, I'm not 100% about the type of milk used, here is a picture, what do you reckon?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 03:49:17 PM by kolo-01 »

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2016, 05:21:05 PM »
I think this is the company:
http://www.carnevale.co.uk/valerio-mozzarella.html

That sound right?

If so, the CH010 is probably what you have (I am guessing because it looks like the only one in 2.5 kg packs).

Anyway, there is no description of whole milk vs part skim, etc. so I don't think we have a way of knowing.

You may want to try another brand or try some fresh mozzarella "fior di latte"  You will definitely not have a low moisture problem, etc. and, as I mentioned, this is generally considered the more suitable cheese for Neapolitan level pizzas and temperatures.  The same company sells it - the CH113 and others in the list including the ones called bocconcini.

Best I can offer.....

BTW - your cheese is well past expiration....

Mitch

“We hate math,” says 4 in 10 – a majority of Americans

Offline kolo-01

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2016, 05:31:14 PM »
Thanks for your input, I'm looking for UK-made + vegetarian mozzarella, but there really aren't that many around, think I just need to look a bit harder.

The date format in the UK is day-month-year so its alright!

Offline schold

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2016, 05:39:29 PM »
Try a few different brands and adding the mozzarella while cold from the fridge.
Cooking is not a recipe, it's a philosophy - unless it's pastry, then it's chemistry.

- Marco Pierre White

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2016, 07:14:36 PM »
Kolo 101;
I don't know if they market in the U.K. or not but Galaxy Nutritional Foods is a good source for vegan and vegetable based cheese products. Just Google (Galaxy Nutritional Foods) to see their offerings which includes a vegetable based Mozzarella type product.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline kolo-01

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 04:41:06 AM »
Cheers Tom, bit it is just the vegetarian rennet I'd like the mpzzarella to use in order to make it vegetarian, not an entirely vegetable-based mozzarella

wordpress