Author Topic: Reverse Engineering Marta  (Read 179 times)

Offline hotsawce

Reverse Engineering Marta
« on: September 27, 2015, 02:07:16 PM »
Though Roman style pizza, I think reverse engineering Marta is a worthy thread here. The pizza is great and not completely unlike what I currently make, so I think this is a recipe we can easily add to the forum's repertoire.

I am using the article here
and will add further resources as I find them.

Some quick observations from the article and my own input:

- "The dough that starts with an un-refrigerated pre-fermentation"
- Picture 1 shows the ingredients. There is whole wheat flour in this dough (couldn't determine the ratio, though.) 
    *In picture 3, I can determine that Marta uses King Arthur Special Patent Flour; this is the commercial version of King Arthur's standard bread flour.
    * In picture 4, it looks as if instant dry yeast is used for the preferment. Note the brown specking towards the back of the bowl. Or it could be a whole wheat flour.
    * Picture 5 is interesting; the poolish number and time is stated. There is also a number, what looks to be "70 %" on the tape. I am unsure if this is hydration for the preferment or something else.
    * Picture 6 shows the preferment added to the bowl for final mixing. The caption beneath the photo states the poolish is mixed with additional water.
    * Picture 8. More flour is definitely added, and the caption under the photo states more yeast is added.
    * Picture 9's caption states the addition of salt.
- "The dough is then mixed further, portioned, and fermented in the refrigerator for as long as 36 hours"
- Pictures 12 and 13 show the dough ball sizes. They look small; unsurprising for how thin this pizza is.
- 14, through 18 show the stretching process. The ball looks to be hand pressed to a certain size before a rolling pin is used to evenly flatten the ball to a thin disc.
- The IR gun shows the front of the oven around 665f. This seems accurate. Working in a similar oven, I would estimate they bake around 665 in the front and no higher than 750 in the back.
- In the bake photo, the pies are positioned in two forward places in the oven. I would estimate the front is baking around 665 and the second most front is baking around 700.
- I also estimate the oven is well saturated with heat, as there is not a large rolling flame in the dome and the bottom looks well cooked before the top gets dark and spots.

I couldn't tell you what the hydration or thickness factor is. There is some whole wheat flour, but I couldn't tell you how much. There is a home recipe version of Marta's dough floating around, so that might be a good starting point. I make a pretty similar pizza at my place of employment, and would guess Marta is probably a little bit thinner, though we bake at similar temps.

Have fun, and feel free to contribute! Probably a great project for those of you with a blackstone!

Edit: Here is a home recipe for anyone interested in converting to baker's percents for comparison.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 02:20:31 PM by hotsawce »