Author Topic: Neapolitan Pizza and G3 Ferrari (modified) electric oven.  (Read 76499 times)

Offline tristan111

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Neapolitan Pizza and G3 Ferrari (modified) electric oven.
« Reply #420 on: April 25, 2014, 03:50:51 PM »
I have a general question: why you put more heating elements, if you get the same temperature with just the normal top heating element by using a fan or modifying the thermostat?

Which and why is the Bestron DLD 9070, the G3Ferrari Express Delizia ( Amazon: http://www.amazon.de/G3Ferrari-1XP20000-Express-Delizia-Pizzamaker/dp/B002VA4CDI/?tag=pizzamaking-20 ) or the G3Ferrari Express Napoli better for the simple modification?  Is this the new Delizia you were talking about?

Also I found this Express Napoli in the internet, they say it goes up to 450 degrees : http://pizza57.de/optima-pizza-express-napoli-pizzamaker-by-gabriele-ferrari
But its not a round heating elemnt, is that a problem?

Offline Probo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #421 on: April 26, 2014, 02:12:55 PM »
Nice mod Probo!  Beautifully done, and great pictures.  Thanks for sharing.
Dave

Thank you, Dave!

I am very happy to share their modification of the furnace and at the same time, I want to sincerely thank all active users of this forum, to help me get this stuff!
Guys, thanks for the detailed inventory changes own furnaces attached to them photos and answers to many questions!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 02:59:07 PM by Probo »

Offline Probo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #422 on: April 26, 2014, 02:37:55 PM »
Wow! Probo, that looks real neat and factory-like :)

What did you for isolation? Ceramic blanket or simillar? The dimmers are working ok and if you don't mind sharing, where did you get them (price)?

Thanks!

Thank you, really tried!  ;)

Power controllers, I bought at a local store and paid for them at $ 25 each.
While working well, and what will happen next, time will tell.
Their response: 150-2800W 220V
The most interesting thing that I ordered single heating element power 1600W 220V, and after installing it turned out that his power is greater than 2400W...

My advice to anyone who makes custom heating elements:
avoid errors and unforeseen manufacturers' unpleasant surprises necessarily buy regulators plus headroom!

Offline Probo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #423 on: April 26, 2014, 02:47:22 PM »
Colleagues, desperate lovers of quality pizza,
for fun I will say that for my own peace of mind and most importantly, family security, I found and used, a remarkable high- silica fabric KT-11-S8/3-TO - increased density of 600 g/m2 , thickness 0.67 mm, tighter weave "satin" and shrinkage at 1000 degrees C of only 1%!
It has a 100% heat resistance up to 1200 degrees C!

With all this it is environmentally friendly, while its production is not used, no tar and paint, at any temperature does not emit odors and vapors, as well as it did not fall off any fluff! (not to be confused with fiberglass)
I used it between the upper and lower lid and steel straps, and also, I isolated all the wires inside the stove stocking - braid of the same fabric, only slightly lower density.
I recommend!

http://www.ekowool.ru/assortment2

bmihalje,
that's exactly what I used inside the oven, work out fine, but the aluminum foil as a reflector of heat, just mandatory!

See post "Reply # 339" there also see photos of fabric and braid of the same quality.

Offline sub

« Reply #424 on: April 27, 2014, 05:15:27 AM »
I have a general question: why you put more heating elements, if you get the same temperature with just the normal top heating element by using a fan or modifying the thermostat?

A powerfull heating element keep the temp inside the oven stable and gives more heat from radiation.

But one more question: Should the heating element stay red hot all the time ? I ask, because mine does not. In the beginning it gets red hot indeed but after some time, although the control light always is on and the thermostat doesn't shut off, the red hot glowing of the heating element disappears and the element is almost black color again.

Is this normal ? If not, what do you think could be the cause ? (Btw, I only have the standard, pac-man type, element).

Yes the heating element stay red until you let the oven open, I don't know why it turn black is it still hot?

Here's what happened at the first test:
Caputo Pizza, 55% hydration, 0.20 g yeast, salt 50 g/l, 24 hours in the ball / balls in 36 hours at 200 g.
Bake 1 minute 10 seconds.

For the Neapolitan the hydration should be at least 58% with the Caputo pizzeria you can go easily to 65%

Tell me, please, why when using flour blue Caputo Pizza and hydration of 60% and higher, my dough get very sticky!
Thank you!

Look at Craig's topic How I make my NP dough

knead a little (5min) 10 min of rest, few stretch and fold, 10 min of rest, and again some stretch and fold....
you do this until  the dough don't stick.

By the way, that's what happened after all modifications "from scratch" new Optima Napoli:

Very good probo, that's a clean job !

The mod of barberini

Offline Don Luigi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #425 on: April 27, 2014, 12:31:03 PM »
Some more experiments with ferment at room temp (21°C) and Caputo Chefs Flour (1kg Red Bags). 63% Hydration. Satisfied today.

Offline ccgus

• Mueller Pizza Lab
« Reply #426 on: May 01, 2014, 01:31:33 PM »
You guys have inspired me to make my own little neo-electric oven.  So I took two weber grills (the little smokey joe), added some ceramic insulation between the two lids, and stuck a 1100 watt stove element on the inside.  It worked out OK as a first run, but I need to add an element below the stone and get a bigger (and hotter) element for the inside.

I'm calling it "Rocket" for the time being.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #427 on: May 02, 2014, 08:44:53 AM »
You guys have inspired me to make my own little neo-electric oven.  So I took two weber grills (the little smokey joe), added some ceramic insulation between the two lids, and stuck a 1100 watt stove element on the inside.  It worked out OK as a first run, but I need to add an element below the stone and get a bigger (and hotter) element for the inside.

I'm calling it "Rocket" for the time being.
Love the two-lid + ceramic idea.  I've thought about that many times.  Also there is nothing better than a cheapskate repurposed stove element, unless you are thinking topside heat which would overly char the cheese, IMO.  I think the custom, open center, upper burner style (as shown in earlier posts is likely better for the top of the pie.  Are you running 120V or 220V?

I've got little experience in the custom electric design that you creating, however, my sense is that the critical issue is oven volume and watts.  I think Smokey Joe has larger volume than G3 and therefore will require more heat input.  The G3 success is based on 220V so you will likely need that voltage and more watts to achieve similar results (in a short bake).

Others here have better design advice, so I would listen to them.

But I've been through your town many times, and I don't think much of the "Rocket" moniker, Mukilteo Madness seems more apt. :-D

Dave

Offline ccgus

• Mueller Pizza Lab
« Reply #428 on: May 02, 2014, 12:03:41 PM »
Are you running 120V or 220V?

I'm running 120 - but I did try putting a 220 burner in there (bought the wrong kind, and just went with it once I realized my mistake).  It got warm, but not warm enough (only plugged it into a 120 outlet).

The G3 success is based on 220V so you will likely need that voltage and more watts to achieve similar results (in a short bake).

Yes, that's my thinking as well, but I'm going to try and stick to 120 if I can.  Maybe a couple of 120 burners in there would help.  I've also added a burner below - but haven't tried baking a pizza in it yet.

But I've been through your town many times, and I don't think much of the "Rocket" moniker, Mukilteo Madness seems more apt. :-D

Ha!

Offline drogus

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #429 on: May 03, 2014, 05:23:02 AM »
The G3 success is based on 220V so you will likely need that voltage and more watts to achieve similar results (in a short bake).

Voltage should not matter much as long as heating element is powerful enough. Chinese version of G3 has 600W/110V heating elements and since they have 600W of power, they should work roughly the same as 220V version. The only difference is that the current will be 2 times bigger ( P = U*I ). I think it may be harder to find a strong heating element for 110V, but if you find for example 1500W/110V, it will have enough power.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #430 on: May 03, 2014, 09:54:43 AM »
The issue in the States is that circuit breakers tend to pop with large electrical loads.  If baking is done in a kitchen with GFIs (for example), which share multiple loads, it is easy to overload a circuit.  Large loads (above 10A/120V/1200W) are generally have a dedicated circuit (20A with unique plug for example) or move to 220V.

I think I've got that mostly right, but I'm not an electrician.  Corrections welcome.

Dave

Offline drogus

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #431 on: May 03, 2014, 11:28:54 AM »
Large loads (above 10A/120V/1200W) are generally have a dedicated circuit (20A with unique plug for example) or move to 220V

It seems it sucks to be in USA for modders! ;)

Although if someone does have a 20A plug, it should be more than enough for pizza ovens. 1500/120V will take 12.5A

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #432 on: May 03, 2014, 02:07:04 PM »
It seems it sucks to be in USA for modders! ;)

Although if someone does have a 20A plug, it should be more than enough for pizza ovens. 1500/120V will take 12.5A
Sure we have our issues over here - that's why we like to hang with y'all. :-D

I'm betting that Smoky Joe can be done with 120V, but you'll need every amp you can draw.  I helps to have no other electrical loads in the baking area (meaning nothing else plugged in on that circuit breaker).  It also helps if the baking area is near the breaker panel (low line loss).  And no GFI.

My breaker panel is in the garage, and the 120V breakers pop at 20A.  I'd put the oven out there, unplug everything on that circuit then bake away.

Dave

Offline drogus

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #433 on: May 05, 2014, 04:04:51 AM »
I finally found some time to try the oven. I used recipe for vera pizza napoletana, although quite possibly I added too much yeast, cause it was ready in 2h in bulk and 2h in balls. I also used rather low quality ingredients for this quick test, cause I wasn't sure if anything good comes out of it (and also I moved to Berlin a few days ago and I didn't have time to find anything better).

Anyways, I attach a photo of one of the pizzas, baking time was ~1m20s. A few things to note:

1. I haven't put aluminium foil on the dome for now, I will probably try it as a next thing to have a comparison
2. I don't have an aluminium "plate" to cover the stone between baking, so I was trying other things, like lowering the power of top element or opening the oven which turned out to not be ideal strategy - first pizza was baked in about 1m10s and the rest needed slightly more time.
3. The heating element has quite a big "dead" area which in result chars part of the pizza much faster. I tried to turn it over, but since I'm not experienced with this oven yet, it was poorly executed.

I think that it turned out quite good for a first quick try, I will probably use dough with longer fermentation for the next try.

Offline sub

Offline sub

« Reply #435 on: May 09, 2014, 01:56:34 PM »

« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 01:59:16 PM by sub »

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #436 on: May 09, 2014, 03:18:39 PM »
Thanks Sub.  Love the videos.  Love the controller setup.  Really nice work.  Thanks for sharing.
Dave

Offline ccgus

• Mueller Pizza Lab
« Reply #437 on: May 09, 2014, 03:45:59 PM »
Yes, that's my thinking as well, but I'm going to try and stick to 120 if I can.  Maybe a couple of 120 burners in there would help.  I've also added a burner below - but haven't tried baking a pizza in it yet.

I'm going to reply to myself here, and eventually start a new thread on my little oven (don't want to clutter this one up too much).

The burner on the bottom helped, and I also ended up hooking a bigger top element up to a 240 / 50a outlet.  It works wonderfully now, and I was pleasantly surprised with the first pie out of it.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #438 on: May 09, 2014, 06:35:04 PM »
I'm going to reply to myself here, and eventually start a new thread on my little oven (don't want to clutter this one up too much).

The burner on the bottom helped, and I also ended up hooking a bigger top element up to a 240 / 50a outlet.  It works wonderfully now, and I was pleasantly surprised with the first pie out of it.
That is quite nice, especially for early results.  Let us know when you start a thread.
Dave

Offline ccgus

• Mueller Pizza Lab
« Reply #439 on: May 10, 2014, 05:32:30 PM »
That is quite nice, especially for early results.  Let us know when you start a thread.

Here's the thread, with more details (and a 45 second bake!):
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=31804.msg315658

pizzapan