Author Topic: Neapolitan Pizza and G3 Ferrari (modified) electric oven.  (Read 82595 times)

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
Re: Neapolitan Pizza and G3 Ferrari (modified) electric oven.
« Reply #520 on: August 04, 2014, 04:30:53 PM »
Lovely pie Sub.  I've eaten a lot of those. :chef:
Dave

Offline mervyn

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #521 on: August 07, 2014, 04:59:07 AM »
And by the way, I've seen round spare  heating elements for G3fERRARI/Optima Napoli on ebay.it
thank you for the link sub, i missed out on that previously. rather than buying a circular 600W and having to drill additional holes in the napoli i should find one that's 1600W and replace my existing pacman/omega heating element with it without needing to drill holes? would you happen to know where Vespa72 got his single circular element and what's the wattage?

Offline sub

« Reply #522 on: August 07, 2014, 06:36:11 AM »
Lovely pie Sub.  I've eaten a lot of those. :chef:
Dave

Thanks Dave

thank you for the link sub, i missed out on that previously. rather than buying a circular 600W and having to drill additional holes in the napoli i should find one that's 1600W and replace my existing pacman/omega heating element with it without needing to drill holes? would you happen to know where Vespa72 got his single circular element and what's the wattage?

Hi mervyn,

Yes one heating element is better in my opinion.

He got his via Darokz / Drogus,  it's a 1650W heating element, One of Darokz exploded the first time he plug it (maybe a faulty one)

Offline mervyn

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #523 on: August 07, 2014, 07:26:54 AM »
He got his via Darokz / Drogus,  it's a 1650W heating element, One of Darokz exploded the first time he plug it (maybe a faulty one)

I see Vespa72's is circular single coil but Drogus' is a circular double coil based on the scheme.pdf he provided previously?

About 30EUR, it was based on this scheme: https://www.dropbox.com/s/iwdf75kntzijj4j/scheme.pdf

Offline sub

« Reply #524 on: August 09, 2014, 04:45:19 AM »
I see Vespa72's is circular single coil but Drogus' is a circular double coil based on the scheme.pdf he provided previously?

My bad they where not from Drogus.

Darokz ask a Chinese factory via Alibaba.com

He paid them 15 USD / piece.

Offline mervyn

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #525 on: August 09, 2014, 09:35:25 PM »
hi sub,

i was actually asking about Vespa72's heating element. but it's okay, i'll try to see if i can find someone on alibaba to do a custom one for me since it's closer to singapore and  probably cheaper to get them to make it in china. thank you for sharing the alibaba link.

Offline sub

« Reply #527 on: August 10, 2014, 01:24:46 PM »
I've bought this:
Mini Plug Blade Style K Type Thermocouple

Cut the two wires of the probe and put the plug  ;)

hi sub,

i was actually asking about Vespa72's heating element. but it's okay, i'll try to see if i can find someone on alibaba to do a custom one for me since it's closer to singapore and  probably cheaper to get them to make it in china. thank you for sharing the alibaba link.

Vespa's  heating element came from alibaba.com (he bought them via Darokz)

Offline mervyn

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #528 on: August 10, 2014, 02:26:19 PM »
I've bought this:
Mini Plug Blade Style K Type Thermocouple

Cut the two wires of the probe and put the plug  ;)
i'm guessing red is negative and blue is positive?

Vespa's  heating element came from alibaba.com (he bought them via Darokz)
so Darokz ordered a few from alibaba.com and Vespa got one from Darokz? Darokz is Drogan on pizzamaking.com? sorry it's a little confusing ;)

Offline mervyn

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #529 on: August 10, 2014, 11:59:23 PM »
i'm guessing red is negative and blue is positive?

it's okay, i got this figured out. doesn't matter if you get it wrong, if you get it wrong the reading on the thermocouple will just go the opposite that's all and you just have to switch the wires around. i took apart the TP-01 (came with the thermocouple) probe's mini plug and use the mini plug with the 0-600℃ Sensor Probe. when i plug it in the temperature seems right but it doesn't fluctuate when i put it near a heat source or in the freezer. i think either the probe is not working or something. can you tell me which part of the probe is the actual sensor? just the tip?

Offline sub

« Reply #530 on: August 11, 2014, 02:47:52 AM »
It's because the probe is inside the stainless steel tip, you can grind it a bit to make an hole and let the air goes inside, It will be much more sensitive after that !

Or remove the stainless steel head with a pair of pliers.

Two pictures of the new Optima with round heating elements sell by rotex-italia on ebay.it. 

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #531 on: August 11, 2014, 07:51:08 AM »
It's because the probe is inside the stainless steel tip, you can grind it a bit to make an hole and let the air goes inside, It will be much more sensitive after that !

Two pictures of the new Optima with round heating elements sell by rotex-italia on ebay.it.
You are a wizard Sub!
Dave

Offline sub

« Reply #532 on: August 11, 2014, 12:12:39 PM »
Nop, just an Handy guy, but thanks.

Offline sub

« Reply #533 on: August 11, 2014, 12:21:22 PM »
The Bestron post nuclear junk oven came out of the Monster Garage   >:D

I've used the lower part of my ML Napoli, the stainless steel dome fits perfectly.

There is now 6cm - 2.36in  between the terracotta stone and the heating element.

Can't wait to bake a pie with the stone at 485C - 900F.

Offline mervyn

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #534 on: August 11, 2014, 12:38:14 PM »

thank you sub. i removed the stainless steel head with a lot of effort and got it to come off. in the process i broke one of the 2 wires. but just need the broken wire to make contact and it'll work fine. how do you attach yours to your oven to measure the air inside the oven

we can't wait to see the results of your terracotta stone bake.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #535 on: August 11, 2014, 02:42:13 PM »
The Bestron post nuclear junk oven came out of the Monster Garage   >:D

I've used the lower part of my ML Napoli, the stainless steel dome fits perfectly.

There is now 6cm - 2.36in  between the terracotta stone and the heating element.

Boy I like that...good luck with it sub!   :pizza:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline mervyn

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #536 on: August 13, 2014, 05:13:56 AM »
i've been wondering, why do we need stronger heating element on the top?

with the original heating element we can reach 460C and with that temperature you should be able to bake pies close to 90 seconds? Is the main reason because we want higher temperature to heat up the air in the oven faster because every time we open the oven to load the pie in we lose a lot of heat and it takes time to re-heat the air? so if there's a way to have an open slot in front of the oven and even with this slot, the air inside maintains at 460C, we can load the pies in without losing heat? this should mimic those WFO where they've an opening for you to slot the pies in and yet still maintain the 485C? The oven as it is doesn't close perfectly and there're already holes in the silver portion of the cover so creating a slot in front to load pies shouldn't affect the temperature that much? even if we lose some heat we can make up with a higher wattage heating element?

just a thought, go easy on me  :P

scott123

« Reply #537 on: August 13, 2014, 10:29:35 AM »
i've been wondering, why do we need stronger heating element on the top?

Mervyn, bottom heat, the heat of the stone, is temperature dependent, but top heat relies almost entirely on infrared radiation.  When you're dealing with IR for pizza, especially IR for Neapolitan, you need intensity- and that only comes with high wattage elements.

Offline mervyn

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #538 on: August 13, 2014, 10:49:17 AM »
Mervyn, bottom heat, the heat of the stone, is temperature dependent, but top heat relies almost entirely on infrared radiation.  When you're dealing with IR for pizza, especially IR for Neapolitan, you need intensity- and that only comes with high wattage elements.

so it's not so much about the temperature of the air in the oven it's the IR radiation? for WFO, the burning wood is on the side not the top, so i'm guessing the IR radiation is bouncing all over the domed shape and bakes the top of the pizza that way?

Offline sub

« Reply #539 on: August 13, 2014, 03:13:09 PM »
It's the radiation but you need hot air to bake a pie quickly.

Today's Pizza:

Divella pizza 66% hydration
45g salt - 0.5g fresh yeast for one liter
8h in bulk and 12h in ball (195g) 
baking time 80sec.

The terracotta stone gives you much more latitude, no need to rush between the pies ! the first one was cooked with the stone deliberately too hot (above 500)
the bottom wasn't badly burnt, still eatable, no bad taste in mouth.