Author Topic: Neapolitan Pizza and G3 Ferrari (modified) electric oven.  (Read 141919 times)

Offline Pab

• Pizza Please.
Re: Neapolitan Pizza and G3 Ferrari (modified) electric oven.
« Reply #500 on: July 29, 2014, 01:44:59 PM »

Had that problem at a right angle.So i went to my local blacksmiths/metal work shop and they
heated the element at the angle and bent it flush straight like the original and also got rid of that bracket (5 happy).
Then i fitted it with no trouble.
The new element was a double ring and cost about 15.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 01:46:58 PM by Pab »

Offline mervyn

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #501 on: July 29, 2014, 02:03:46 PM »
Had that problem at a right angle.So i went to my local blacksmiths/metal work shop and they
heated the element at the angle and bent it flush straight like the original and also got rid of that bracket (5 happy).
Then i fitted it with no trouble.
The new element was a double ring and cost about 15.
thank you. that opens up a lot of options. now to find a place where they can do that in singapore. or maybe espares can do that for me for 5 before they ship it out :P

Offline sub

« Reply #502 on: July 29, 2014, 03:31:01 PM »
looks like you've thought of all ways to make the oven better!

I always want to improve my pies, the next big improvement should be to add a terracotta stone to raise the thermal inertia of the oven and bake the pies with the stone @t 500C - 930F  without burning the bottom like in a real Neapolitan wfo.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to found one locally in a recycled building material store, and those sold by palepizza are quite expensive with the shipping charges, so I've decided to make one myself, even if It's a big fail !

I've buy a 1250C K probe from ebay to control the temperature of the fire.

Vespa72 had done another mod with a new Optima Napoli, you should check it out !

prova nuovo fornetto super moddato
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 03:34:14 PM by sub »

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #503 on: July 29, 2014, 04:46:03 PM »
Good for you, Sub.
Dave

Offline mervyn

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #504 on: July 29, 2014, 05:05:28 PM »
Please let us know how the Terracotta bakes go!

Offline mervyn

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #505 on: July 30, 2014, 11:49:55 AM »
I always want to improve my pies, the next big improvement should be to add a terracotta stone to raise the thermal inertia of the oven and bake the pies with the stone @t 500C - 930F  without burning the bottom like in a real Neapolitan wfo.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to found one locally in a recycled building material store, and those sold by palepizza are quite expensive with the shipping charges, so I've decided to make one myself, even if It's a big fail !

I've buy a 1250C K probe from ebay to control the temperature of the fire.
the stone itself is not considered that expensive? it's the shipping right? 10kg stone?

Vespa72 had done another mod with a new Optima Napoli, you should check it out !

prova nuovo fornetto super moddato
Vespa72's mods are simply on another level to me.

by the way, can you cook many pies without the oven melting down? like if there's a pizza party and you need to make 15 pies, can you just keep going or do you have to wait a long time between each bakes? if the oven's wires have all been changed to high heat resistant ones there's no problem with continuous baking?

Offline sub

« Reply #506 on: July 30, 2014, 01:41:44 PM »
the stone itself is not considered that expensive? it's the shipping right? 10kg stone?

Both ! 

A terracotta stone is cheap, Notturno Italiano paid 5  for his: il biscotto di sorrento l'unico?

Vespa72's mods are simply on another level to me.

Yeah, but in my opinion you don't need  thermostats or fancy pids, with a less conductive stone you don't have to monitor the temperature, no more burned bottom !

by the way, can you cook many pies without the oven melting down? like if there's a pizza party and you need to make 15 pies, can you just keep going or do you have to wait a long time between each bakes? if the oven's wires have all been changed to high heat resistant ones there's no problem with continuous baking?

With the oven well insulated and with heat resistant wires there is no problem to bake a lot of pies.

Today I went to another Used Building Materials shop and luckily I found what i was looking for !

An old hand pressed terracotta slab, 30x30x2cm

judging by the color, it has not been fired too high

price 3  :)

I'll have to mod the oven again, the stone is too close from the heating element (1 inch )

stone dia: 30cm  weight: 2.8kg

« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 01:44:25 PM by sub »

Offline drogus

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #507 on: July 30, 2014, 02:26:35 PM »
would you happen to have the contact information of the company he ordered from?

no, unfortunately not.

and also yours? (...) do you think they'll speak to me in english?

The company is http://elektrotermia.com.pl, I'm not sure if they speak english there and I'm not sure if they send abroad either (probably no, as they usually do orders for bigger amounts).

by the way how much was yours?

About 30EUR, it was based on this scheme: https://www.dropbox.com/s/iwdf75kntzijj4j/scheme.pdf

Offline Hickory.Bill

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #508 on: July 30, 2014, 09:48:29 PM »
Read the whole thread and had a question about using a standard 600W light dimmer to control a 600W elements.

Would this work?

Offline drogus

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #509 on: July 31, 2014, 03:11:35 AM »
Read the whole thread and had a question about using a standard 600W light dimmer to control a 600W elements.

Would this work?

Yes, it should work, but 600W element is rather weak, so I'm not sure why would you like to control it.

Offline Hickory.Bill

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #510 on: July 31, 2014, 10:16:31 AM »
Yes, it should work, but 600W element is rather weak, so I'm not sure why would you like to control it.

This would be in place of the thermostat switch which failed on my Deni 2100.  Or are you guys running your fault out without any control?

Offline drogus

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #511 on: July 31, 2014, 10:52:56 AM »
This would be in place of the thermostat switch which failed on my Deni 2100.  Or are you guys running your fault out without any control?

With 600W I would always run on full power (I run on full power almost all the time on my 1400W), but I guess it depends on what you want to achieve.

It also depends on how you connect the dimmer to the oven, because depending on the version (like 110V vs 220V) you may have different wiring.

Offline Hickory.Bill

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #512 on: July 31, 2014, 12:15:46 PM »
With 600W I would always run on full power (I run on full power almost all the time on my 1400W), but I guess it depends on what you want to achieve.

It also depends on how you connect the dimmer to the oven, because depending on the version (like 110V vs 220V) you may have different wiring.

I was thinking of using it on the bottom  element and running the top flat out

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #513 on: July 31, 2014, 01:20:58 PM »
I was thinking of using it on the bottom  element and running the top flat out
Sounds innovative HickoryBill.  FYI, If I am remembering correctly, IowaMcnabb's creation uses a single top burner.  Here is his thread http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=32855.0

International members are justly rolling their eyes  ::) as U.S. builders tend to stick with 120V and max out the amperage.

Dave

Offline Hickory.Bill

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #514 on: August 02, 2014, 09:05:06 PM »
Has anyone looked at a small kiln?

Here is one for $150 in California that's never been used.  Goes to 1250C or 2300F

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OLYMPIC-149-FLE-KILN-Front-Loader-Never-Fired-/321475857396?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ad9744bf4

You would need to add a shelf.   Inside dimensions: 14 1/2" wide x 9 " deep x 10" high.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #515 on: August 03, 2014, 08:59:33 AM »
Has anyone looked at a small kiln? Inside dimensions: 14 1/2" wide x 9 " deep x 10" high.
I'm not aware of anyone trying this.  Dimensionally, it seems like a small baking area with a lot of heating elements.  One challenge is likely to be getting an even bake (and I think that is a big one).  Also, I would check into the food-safety of those stones & outgassing - I'm not saying it is bad, I'm saying that I don't know.

I'm tempted to write that you would be 'nuts to try it, and if you do, we could be good friends'. :-D  But honestly, I think the modifications required are so major that it would be a wasted effort.

Dave

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #516 on: August 03, 2014, 11:42:16 AM »
Has anyone looked at a small kiln?

Here is one for $150 in California that's never been used.  Goes to 1250C or 2300F

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OLYMPIC-149-FLE-KILN-Front-Loader-Never-Fired-/321475857396?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ad9744bf4

You would need to add a shelf.   Inside dimensions: 14 1/2" wide x 9 " deep x 10" high.
There was a link on this forum to a pizzeria that baked with kiln oven. Wild looking setup...iirc the oven was suspended from the ceiling with a sort of chain pulley system and they would raise and lower the oven over the pizza.  :o
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

scott123

« Reply #517 on: August 03, 2014, 11:49:34 AM »
There was a link on this forum to a pizzeria that baked with kiln oven. Wild looking setup...iirc the oven was suspended from the ceiling with a sort of chain pulley system and they would raise and lower the oven over the pizza.  :o

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2011/09/wild-rise-jay-street-bar-pizza-dumbo-brooklyn-nyc.html

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #518 on: August 03, 2014, 12:25:05 PM »
Thanks C.Bob and Scott.  I do like the innovation in that chap (Steve) and his oven, although 7" and 10" pies, seem a bit limiting.  (Maybe I eat too much.)

Unfortunately the geometry of the front-load ebay kiln and apparent placement of heating elements would likely make for a frustrating conversion.  Maybe I missed something.  If so, speak write up.

Dave

Offline sub

« Reply #519 on: August 04, 2014, 04:12:16 PM »
One of today's pies with the usual stone.

Divela pizza 67% hydration
40g salt - 1.23g yeast / liter
185g dough balls

3h30 in bulk 8h30 in ball @ 24C - 75F

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #520 on: August 04, 2014, 04:30:53 PM »
Lovely pie Sub.  I've eaten a lot of those. :chef:
Dave

Offline mervyn

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #521 on: August 07, 2014, 04:59:07 AM »
And by the way, I've seen round spare  heating elements for G3fERRARI/Optima Napoli on ebay.it
thank you for the link sub, i missed out on that previously. rather than buying a circular 600W and having to drill additional holes in the napoli i should find one that's 1600W and replace my existing pacman/omega heating element with it without needing to drill holes? would you happen to know where Vespa72 got his single circular element and what's the wattage?

Offline sub

« Reply #522 on: August 07, 2014, 06:36:11 AM »
Lovely pie Sub.  I've eaten a lot of those. :chef:
Dave

Thanks Dave

thank you for the link sub, i missed out on that previously. rather than buying a circular 600W and having to drill additional holes in the napoli i should find one that's 1600W and replace my existing pacman/omega heating element with it without needing to drill holes? would you happen to know where Vespa72 got his single circular element and what's the wattage?

Hi mervyn,

Yes one heating element is better in my opinion.

He got his via Darokz / Drogus,  it's a 1650W heating element, One of Darokz exploded the first time he plug it (maybe a faulty one)

Offline mervyn

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #523 on: August 07, 2014, 07:26:54 AM »
He got his via Darokz / Drogus,  it's a 1650W heating element, One of Darokz exploded the first time he plug it (maybe a faulty one)

I see Vespa72's is circular single coil but Drogus' is a circular double coil based on the scheme.pdf he provided previously?

About 30EUR, it was based on this scheme: https://www.dropbox.com/s/iwdf75kntzijj4j/scheme.pdf

Offline sub

« Reply #524 on: August 09, 2014, 04:45:19 AM »
I see Vespa72's is circular single coil but Drogus' is a circular double coil based on the scheme.pdf he provided previously?

My bad they where not from Drogus.

Darokz ask a Chinese factory via Alibaba.com

He paid them 15 USD / piece.

pizzapan