Author Topic: Mario Batali's Pizza Dough  (Read 10389 times)

Offline steverino

• Beer is liquid bread.
Mario Batali's Pizza Dough
« on: December 26, 2005, 10:43:16 PM »
On Friday night, I made a batch of Signor Batali's pizza dough from the "Everybody Loves Pizza" book, with a couple very simple modifications.  It turned out very well.  Tonight, after a 3 night slumber in the fridge, it was even better.  Really good stuff.  I also took some photos, but I need to figure out how to post them.

Anyone else try this recipe yet?

Steve

Offline Christopher

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Mario Batali's Pizza Dough
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2005, 12:54:55 PM »
hey, Steve,
is this the recipe that includes wine in the dough mix? i saw this recipe on the msnbc website:

1/4 cup light red wine or white wine
3/4 cup warm water
1-1/2 packages yeast
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
2 1/2 cups double zero flour and 1/2 cup AP flour, sifted together

DIRECTIONS
Combine the wine, water, and yeast in a large bowl and stir until dissolved. Add the honey, salt, and the olive oil and mix thoroughly. Add 1 cup of the flour and mix with a wooden spoon to make a loose batter. Add 2 more cups of the flour and stir with the spoon for 2-3 minutes to incorporate as much flour as possible.

Bring the dough together by hand and turn out onto a floured board or marble surface. Knead for 6 to 8 minutes, until you have made a smooth, firm dough. Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl and cover with a towel. Set aside to rise in the warmest part of the kitchen for 45 minutes.

Cut the risen dough into 4 equal pieces and knead each portion into a round. Cover again and let rest 15 minutes.

To make the pizzas: Dust a clean work surface lightly with flour. Working one dough round at a time, use your fingers and palms to flatten the dough into a 10 to 12-inch circle, each about 1/8-inch thick.

if so how was it? could you taste the wine?

thanks,
Christopher

Offline steverino

• Beer is liquid bread.
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2005, 12:06:50 PM »
Hey Christopher-

Yes, very similar recipe. In the "Everybody Loves Pizza" book, however, he specifies 1/4c white wine, 1 pkg. yeast, and 3 Cups AP flour.

The modifications I made were that I used Dry Vermouth instead of white wine, and KA bread flour as opposed to AP.

I was a bit concerned about the strong smell of vermouth during the kneading period, but once the dough was separated (I split into 2), and stretched, the smell was not nearly as strong.

I know that vermouth is chock full o' "botanicals" and such, although I'm not sure what.

While eating it, there was no flavor note that shouted wine or vermouth, just a delicate "unusual" flavor, that I found to be outstanding. I would very highly recommend trying it. It had a delicate crunch, and at the same time, a very soft chew.  The pie I made 3 days later was even better.

This will most likely be my "go to" recipe for Neopolitan / New York style crust.

Steve

Offline Christopher

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2005, 12:45:08 PM »
thanks, Steve,
i will definately give this a try. did the wine have any effect upon browning? i will open this question to anyone also using wine or have used it. when i was bulking up on my knowledge of wines i learned that dry had less or no sugar in it. with little or no sugar would it help browning or would a wet wine be better for flavor and coloration, i wonder? isnt vermouth a dry wine?
i am glad to hear it was good! i cant wait to give it a go.
christopher

piroshok

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2005, 07:38:17 AM »
I can only think of acidity that the wine introduces much like lemon juice does or ascorbic acid to make the dough more pliable and extensible but I prefer not to add any of these autoalyse works for me just as well

Offline rxrfrx

• pizza FTW
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2006, 12:18:00 PM »
I tried this recipe at a friend's house, using white wine.  He didn't have a mixer, so I had to knead by hand.  After 20 minutes of kneading, the stuff was still way underkneaded.  I figured it was some strange effect of the wine preventing gluten development, and scrapped it.

Either I've forgotten how to knead dough after months of strictly using the KitchenAid, or there's something strange with this recipe.

Offline Christopher

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2006, 07:38:15 PM »
rxrfrx,
i am sorry to hear the dough did not work out. i wonder if there would be an optimal time to add the wine if not in the beginning? there is nothing worse than putting all that effort in for nothing :'(
it did sound like an interesting twist to pizza dough.
christopher

Offline steverino

• Beer is liquid bread.
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2006, 03:14:33 PM »
I hesitate to mention this, but I used my bread machine, and let it do all the work for me.  I've had good results, and I continually make adjustments, i.e. additonal water, flour, as necessary.
I work the dough (In the machine), until a tiny bit of it sticks to my knuckles when I firmly press on it.  I then let the bread machine do the first rise.

I will leave the forum voluntarily, if necessary.

Steve

Offline steverino

• Beer is liquid bread.
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2006, 08:34:14 PM »
Okay-
I made the Mario recipe again last night.  It was very good.  I have some photos to post, but I can't figure out how to do it on this forum.

Help?
Somebody?

Thanks-

Steve

Offline rxrfrx

• pizza FTW
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2006, 08:54:25 PM »
Use the "attach" function at the bottom of the reply screen.

pizzapan