Author Topic: First Sicilian... Monster...  (Read 1932 times)

Offline patnugent

First Sicilian... Monster...
« on: July 02, 2012, 10:46:52 AM »
After doing pizza at home weekly for the last 6 months or so, I decided it was finally time to go Sicilian.  I remembered from my days working at a pizza place on Long Island that my boss would use the same dough we used for regular pizza, just letting it sit out in a square pan, slowly stretching it over the course of a few hours.  With that knowledge I figured I would just stick with my normal recipe(as seen here http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,19318.0.html ) and go for it.

I used about 1.75 times the amount of dough I would use for a normal pizza, and the only cast iron I had around was a round frying pan...  Well, it turned out that I had a bit to much dough...

The pizza was a bit thicker than intended.  The oven spring was ridiculous.  Aside from the thickness though, it was everything I wanted.  Next week I will be using a normal amount of dough and going for it again.  cooked on a stone at 550 for a little over 10 minutes(with a 2.5min par bake), topped with fresh mozz, 6 in 1 tomatoes and a fresh roasted green and orange pepper (one pepper, crazy freak of a pepper.)

Offline dmcavanagh

Re: First Sicilian... Monster...
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 11:40:31 AM »
Wow, that really does look like a "pie". Doesn't seem like it could've cooked all the way through in the time you specify, I often do Sicilian's in a half sheet pan and they need a much longer cooking time.

Offline patnugent

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 12:08:03 PM »
That time is probably a bit off, just a guess.  Actually pulled it out, cut it, saw it wasn't cooked solid yet and threw it back in for 5 more min...  Probably closer to 20 minutes total.

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 12:08:35 PM »
Oh man,  that looks close to Armands in DC; when I was a kid we stopped there for deepdish and that thing had so much cheese on it I almost choked to death on a mouthful.

Try reducing the yeast, and spreading out the dough more.  If you have to, use a fork in the middle to offgas before parbaking.  Otherwise, looks stellar!

I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline patnugent

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 09:46:29 AM »
Here's this week's.  Pretty happy with it.