Author Topic: Buying a gas BBQ for Pizza making  (Read 1590 times)

Offline JF_Aidan_Pryde

• Supporting Member
Buying a gas BBQ for Pizza making
« on: October 09, 2005, 06:08:22 AM »
While I'd love to get a TEC, they don't sell those in Australia. So I am considering a Weber Gensis (A), probably the best gas BBQ I can buy here.

Here it is:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000659JSI/?tag=pizzamaking-20

My question is, would I be able to coax the weber into a useful Pizza oven? Unlike my oven, it won't switch off once it goes over a certain temp. But how safe is it to close the hood while going beyond 'normal' temperatures? Will all the heat disappear once I open the lid? Maybe I can open it half way and feed in the pizza that way.

There's also the issue of stone placement. If I just put the stone over a burner, it will superconduct and char the base. I could possibly put the stone on one side and turn on only the burner on the other side.

Please post your thoughts. I love barbecues so I'm naturally attracted to the weber. But if I can use it as a pizza oven, then even better! :)

-James.

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
Re: Buying a gas BBQ for Pizza making
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2005, 02:21:09 PM »
I own a Weber Genesis and it will not go above 500 degrees.  :-\
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline JF_Aidan_Pryde

• Supporting Member
Re: Buying a gas BBQ for Pizza making
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2005, 09:54:21 AM »
Steve,

That's a bummer. I went to the store to check it out today -- it had a sticker that clearly said "Do not heat above 280C". It's probably not a good idea anyway. But I do like it as a barbecue, it's got class. :D

I think I will purchase the kettle Weber instead. God I love the smokey flavours...

pizzapan