Author Topic: Where to buy Mondako Flour?  (Read 3101 times)

Offline ju_jubean

Where to buy Mondako Flour?
« on: June 26, 2012, 04:04:42 PM »
I'm trying to find Mondako flour locally...I'm in the Dallas/Ft Worth area. Are there any stores, chains, etc. that carry this flour? If not, what is a good substitute?

Offline scott123

Re: Where to buy Mondako Flour?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 05:15:55 PM »
Ju_jubean, may I ask why you're looking for Mondako?  

You won't find Mondako in any retail store.  Your only hope is a wholesaler, and even then, outside of California (where Pendleton flours are more popular), you could have a hard time.

I'd start with Dawn Foods:

Dawn Food Products Inc
3353 Miller Park S # 100, Garland, TX
(972) 485-8004 ‎ dawnfoods.com

Dawn is a huge national distributor.  The Dawn that I go to in Northern NJ both sells to the public (aka cash and carry) and they have a very large selection of commercial flours. Ask them if they do cash and carry, and, if they do, ask for Mondako.  If they don't carry Mondako, they should have something in that range. I need to look it up, but I think Bay State Milling has something Mondako-ish.

You can find a flour with the same amount of protein at your local supermarket, but the quality may not be as high.  Better for bread flour should have a similar protein profile to Mondako.

It really depends on what you're using the Mondako for, but if you're looking for oven spring, then I highly suggest the commercial bromated route.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 05:17:37 PM by scott123 »

Offline Tory

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 07:15:14 PM »
In my attempt to learn about Mondako flour, I found this link. I hope it helps.

http://www.pfmills.com/mondako-flour-products-2.php
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 07:17:58 PM by Tory »

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 12:56:28 AM »
JuJuBean, any luck getting a hold of this flour? I am interested in this as well.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 02:11:16 AM »
Mondako and Power Flour can be purchased at any Costco Business Centers, Restaurant Depot, and Cash and Carry stores. If you do not have one of these near you, I recommend that you ask a Pizzeria if you can purchase a bag from them. Most places will sell it to you but most place purchase it in a 50 pound bag size. (which is a lot of flour)  Hope this helps.

TomN
PS
As previously stated, you can always call Pendleton Flour directly and ask who sells it in your area of the country.

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 03:22:05 PM »
I have been in communication with Stan Ginsberg the proprietor of www.nybakers.com and he said they will start offering 5# bags of Mondako next week. Fingers crossed!

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 06:04:39 PM »
Mondako is now available on their website.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 06:45:30 PM »
Just a thought. I have found the Pendleton POWER flour to work better than the MONDAKO flour. That's my recommendation.

TomN

http://www2.costco.com/Common/Search.aspx?Browse=1&whse=BD_767&topnav=bdoff&search=power%20flour&N=0&Ntt=power%20flour&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 01:09:52 AM »
I have tried the power flour before and prefer the mighty All Trumps over that if I am going for a strong flour. I have been going down in protein content because it seems to give a more delicate crunch to my laminations. The strong flours produce a more "crispy" bite with a snap to it. The NYBakers.com place also has the power flour.

My issue getting Mondako is I do not have a business nor will Costco deliver to my area. So the PF mills flours are sort of tightly distributed unless you are in the area and find it locally at a cash n' carry.

Offline cnkymnky

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2012, 06:13:48 PM »
I use this flower, I purchase it at Restaraunt Depot in Portland, Oregon. The local cash n carry here in Salem also stocks it although at a higher price than i get it at Restaurant Depot.

Offline cnkymnky

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2012, 06:14:18 PM »
well flour not flower... ;D