Author Topic: A Word to the Wise for Newbies!  (Read 9458 times)

Online Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
Re: A Word to the Wise for Newbies!
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2012, 10:09:28 PM »
As Pete has mentioned, a simple search will generally turn up the first 10 times a question has been answered.  My response is generally to ask them to search and give them the specific words to use, which had they done the minimal research necessary they would have found themselves.  I am not rude about it, but I help those who have already shown a depth of interest instead of every one-post wonder who wants a personal step by step guide.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 10:11:07 PM by Tscarborough »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2012, 10:13:01 PM »
I realise your time is precious, but if you feel someone has not yet "invested the time", then perhaps you could offer links to resources and information relevant to the query?
If the query is so openended or obviously lazy....would you invest your time ?
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Online Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2012, 10:18:18 PM »
And just to be clear, I am not talking about on this board, I am talking about boards dealing with masonry.  Here, I don't even answer general questions, there are simply too many and I am not qualified.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2012, 10:34:41 PM »
I also know how newbies must feel when they first come to the forum and register.  I was a newbie 3 years ago and also had a really hard time navigating the forum, because I was never on a forum before.  I have myself asked a lot of questions and I know now some of them were really stupid, but someone usually came to my rescue.  The forum has even grown a lot in the 3 years I have been here, but I do try to read most of the posts and answer questions when I can, or link to other members posts.  Since Peter has posted so many posts about almost everything I use his screen name to do a lot of searches and most of them are advanced searches.   I can usually recall what I have posted, but not always.  I sometimes even have a hard time finding what I posted.  :-D

I am not always right in what I post to help newbies or even regular members, but Peter usually steps in and corrects me if I am wrong.  I feel since so many members helped me on my pizza making journey, I should try to help when I can.

Sometimes I still even ask stupid questions when I should have done a search first.  There are still many posts on this forum that I haven’t read, or even forgot about them. 

Norma 
Always working and looking for new information!

Online Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2012, 10:48:27 PM »
Norma, there is no stupid question, the issue is questions with no answer because they are too broad.  Any specific question no matter how dumb can and is answered on this board with respect and skill.  How to get forum newbies (are there any of those left in 2012?) to ask the question is really what we are discussing.

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2012, 10:54:10 PM »
Peter, it always amazes me how you come up with links to previous posts when responding to others. I often find it very difficult to find my own posts or specific content using the forum's search feature.

As for locating specific content, I find Google Advanced Search most useful
when I specify it to search pizzamaking.com
http://www.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en

As for helping others, the most efficient way is to refer them to previous threads, the glossary, or sticky posts. If you think further into the future, you could eventually combine the glossary with all the sticky posts to create an electronic publication that you could sell to members on a DVD as a means to finance the forum. 

---pete---

You don't know? Peter isn't a person he's a secret government super computer.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2012, 11:02:23 PM »
You don't know? Peter isn't a person he's a secret government super computer.

David,

LOL. That "super computer" remembered one of your earliest threads and found it in just four seconds: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9616.msg83391.html#msg83391. As they say, you have come a long way, baby Dude, since that thread.

Peter

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2012, 11:13:34 PM »
Peter,

:-D  Wow! You do have Super Computer like speed....are you sure you're not...oh never mind!!   ::)

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #48 on: July 04, 2012, 11:16:49 PM »
David,

LOL. That "super computer" remembered one of your earliest threads and found it in just four seconds: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9616.msg83391.html#msg83391. As they say, you have come a long way, baby Dude, since that thread.

Peter

Thats to funny, I was looking that thread over the other day and realized that you and me were the only ones in there with Matt jumping in time from time. Man my early pizzas looked horrible :-D.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 11:19:04 PM by BrickStoneOven »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #49 on: July 04, 2012, 11:22:44 PM »
Norma, there is no stupid question, the issue is questions with no answer because they are too broad.  Any specific question no matter how dumb can and is answered on this board with respect and skill.  How to get forum newbies (are there any of those left in 2012?) to ask the question is really what we are discussing.

Tom,

Your are right about the questions that are too broad from newbies.  Most of the time I stay away from those posts.

I can understand what we are discussing now.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #50 on: July 04, 2012, 11:37:39 PM »
Thats to funny, I was looking that thread over the other day and realized that you and me were the only ones in there with Matt jumping in time from time. Man my early pizzas looked horrible :-D.
David,

Just wanted to give a 'lil shout out "thank you" for all the good things you bring to the forum. I know there are a few unsung hereos like yourself here that often go unnoticed and I am just happy that people like you are around. Thank you.

Now....how many pounds of dough did you say you needed help with?!!   ;D

Bob

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2012, 08:23:15 AM »
David,

Just wanted to give a 'lil shout out "thank you" for all the good things you bring to the forum. I know there are a few unsung hereos like yourself here that often go unnoticed and I am just happy that people like you are around. Thank you.

Now....how many pounds of dough did you say you needed help with?!!   ;D

Bob

Thanks :-[. I don't think I've helped to many people on here but I'll take the complement anyways. I'm just happy to see what other people can achieve.

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2012, 11:13:48 AM »
As a somewhat newbie to this site, it was difficult to find answers to my questions without yet being comfortable with the forum. It also appears that others have that same difficulty, given this post even existing. When threads go 79 pages, it can be hard to extrapolate answers to certain questions on the topic, especially when things get off topic.

In a perfect world, the information on this forum would be boiled down and compiled into some form of FAQ that touches on all the common problems and mistakes for each style and topic, but that takes a lot of work (hell, you could probably write multiple books with all this information!). Maybe it would help to have stickys of the most helpful and informative posts to some of the more common issues and topics of discussion in each section just to make them more visible and to help eliminate redundancy. Or some kind of "helpful links" section that will point you in the right direction. A section dedicated to using the search options efficiently would probably also be helpful.

Not to create more work for anyone responsible for this site, just brainstorming ideas to a proposed problem. But making it a little bit of work keeps the riff raff out. ;D
Nick Gore - just a dough eyed wanderer

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2012, 12:04:31 PM »
As a somewhat newbie to this site, it was difficult to find answers to my questions without yet being comfortable with the forum. It also appears that others have that same difficulty, given this post even existing. When threads go 79 pages, it can be hard to extrapolate answers to certain questions on the topic, especially when things get off topic.

In a perfect world, the information on this forum would be boiled down and compiled into some form of FAQ that touches on all the common problems and mistakes for each style and topic, but that takes a lot of work (hell, you could probably write multiple books with all this information!). Maybe it would help to have stickys of the most helpful and informative posts to some of the more common issues and topics of discussion in each section just to make them more visible and to help eliminate redundancy. Or some kind of "helpful links" section that will point you in the right direction. A section dedicated to using the search options efficiently would probably also be helpful.

Yes, sometimes things do get off topic, but often threads go many pages because they are documenting learning experiences with valuable insight and input from many people. If someone simply wants a recipe, this might not be the best place for them to start. If they want to learn and improve in a specific style, there is no better forum on the internet.

Reading entire threads is valuable. It gives you insight into what works and what doesn’t and more importantly, why. Because everyone faces a unique situation with their home pizza making equipment and ingredients, a cookie cutter solution will likely never be the best. Any attempt to distill down to the “important” information would be subject to the bias of the person doing the distilling and what they saw as important – not what might be important to the person reading the summary.

IMO, to get better at pizza takes effort – both research and experimentation. There is simply no substitute for either knowledge or experience. You are rarely going to get valuable information by asking very broad questions. They will largely get ignored, and when they do get answered, you will generally not get the detail you need anyway.

It strikes me as silly to think that someone would come here wanting to learn to make better pizza and expect the regulars here to do all the work for them? Heck, how do I know they will even read what I write if they have never shown any effort up to that point?

When someone has done some work, posted some pictures, written some on their experience, etc. and then has specific, focused questions based on what they have learned so far, I’m more than happy to share whatever I know and in as much detail as possible.

CL
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #54 on: July 05, 2012, 12:31:09 PM »
Ditto Craig !
and David  - I was kickin around then I remember you posting that question as well !  I was a newbie lot of help from everyone but I can tell you I read and read and read, then tried  and tried every style I could, Cracker, NY  deep dish, Um even PaPa ginos :) remember that one Peter?  ... and ended up with what is now my Favorite Neapolitan. I also asked alot of questions after reading and allways posted picrtures because they speak volumes !!
I cant tell you how many emails I get now that say where do I buy  the mobile oven? (with little to 0 pizza experience !) I never went into how long that research went on ! I did hear back from a few mobile guys I questioned witbht regard to the business (they all lied!) Jay J, pizza Police, and 3-4 other  sent an email back. I tell em a few ideas and ask they get back to  me when they Narrow it down  a bit
still NO better source of the variety pizza info than this site that I know of?
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #55 on: July 05, 2012, 12:32:46 PM »
+1 on learning from experience.  Now that I have a little, I am even more convinced of my ignorance.  I just know what works for me.  I'm only starting to understand why.

In a perfect world, there would be some genius artificial intelligence that continually sorts and indexes our posts as we type them looking for data, for instance equipment needed, stand mixer, digital scale, IR gun, WFO, LBE, modified home oven, etc.   Then we would be able to more easily find useful information and discussion relevant to our particular situation.  

« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 12:38:36 PM by pizzaneer »
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #56 on: July 05, 2012, 01:08:24 PM »
My suggestions were merely meant to help think of better ways to access the information that is commonly sought out when people first start out here. Having things laid out to help new folk to the forum like stickies of commonly asked questions or a top 10 FAQs would help eliminate the need for new forum users to ask these broad questions that don't get answered anyway and just clutter up all the useful information. But then again, if you're too lazy to use the search features, you're probably skipping the stickies and FAQs, too.

In a perfect world, there would be some genius artificial intelligence that continually sorts and indexes our posts as we type them looking for data, for instance equipment needed, stand mixer, digital scale, IR gun, WFO, LBE, modified home oven, etc.   Then we would be able to more easily find useful information and discussion relevant to our particular situation.  

Indeed! Super Computer Peter, activate continuous sort/index post sequence.
Nick Gore - just a dough eyed wanderer

cornicione54

« Reply #57 on: July 05, 2012, 01:17:46 PM »
For all those criticizing newcomers for asking broad questions, implying it is somehow a sign of "laziness" - you might want to consider whether a large proportion of those newbies don't yet have the requisite knowledge or experience to make more specific enquiries.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 01:22:32 PM by cornicione54 »

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #58 on: July 05, 2012, 01:18:55 PM »
I think we're all pretty much on the same page. I love to help people who are interested in learning and are just stuck with a particular hurdle they can't get over. I never hold back anything as far as techniques I've tried, ingredients I 've used, tools which work or don't work or just about anything that sounds like a reasonable question. When I first came to this site I think i read the "reverse engineering Patsy's thread in it's entirety about three times. All I ask is just put forth a little effort, don't rely on everybody else to do it all for you.

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #59 on: July 05, 2012, 01:23:52 PM »
@cornicione54

@ carter has a question in the "newbies topic" section about dough sticking to the peel. Why haven't you given hin some advice?