Author Topic: flying sponge" / preferments for same day dough?  (Read 261 times)

Offline invertedisdead

flying sponge" / preferments for same day dough?
« on: July 09, 2016, 02:24:29 PM »
Any reason to do a preferment for a same day dough instead of a straight dough? More flavor or just more work? By same day dough I mean 8-12 hour ish emergency dough?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 02:48:55 PM by invertedisdead »
Ryan

Offline CaptBob

• Supporting Member
Re: flying sponge" / preferments for same day dough?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 02:02:03 PM »
Ryan....I did a same day poolish a while back that worked out pretty well....Here's the link:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=34858.msg397567#msg397567
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 02:04:14 PM by CaptBob »
Bob

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 02:36:57 PM »
My guess is that the vast majority of poolishes are used with a same-day dough.

I certainly wouldn't call 8-12 hours an "emergency dough." Frankly, I'm now of the opinion that even 2-3 hours isn't necessarily an emergency dough.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline invertedisdead

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 04:07:06 PM »
I always did a poolish overnight at least 8 hours otherwise I assumed why bother.

Since I'm no bakery with space issues for my small amount of dough, I wonder for a same day dough is it better to ferment all the flour at once as a straight dough or do a few hour preferment before bringing it all together?
Just an average "wake up and should make pizza today" type of deal.

Bob you said that dough had great flavor - I assume you still prefer your longer ferment though?

Craig are you saying you have been content with a 2-3 hour doughs? I've never made one to be honest. You said LDM makes a difference in a same day dough - is it even more important in a 2-3 hour dough? I have yet to mess with LDM yet.
Ryan

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 04:36:51 PM »
Craig are you saying you have been content with a 2-3 hour doughs? I've never made one to be honest. You said LDM makes a difference in a same day dough - is it even more important in a 2-3 hour dough? I have yet to mess with LDM yet.

I think LDM is a valuable tool and probably more valuable in shorter fermentations, however I'm not so sure it's necessary to make great (NYS) pizza dough in a 2-3 hour window given certain other factors such as the ability to bake at higher temperatures or on sufficiently thick steel.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  

Offline invertedisdead

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2016, 05:43:25 PM »
I think LDM is a valuable tool and probably more valuable in shorter fermentations, however I'm not so sure it's necessary to make great (NYS) pizza dough in a 2-3 hour window given certain other factors such as the ability to bake at higher temperatures or on sufficiently thick steel.

You've said flour choice isn't that important - would you say LDM is more beneficial than flour choice?
I believe I read on here DiFara does the 2-3 hour dough; hot oven; etc. When you say higher temperatures for NY, are we talking a 5 minute pie?

I haven't tried steel. My home oven gets pretty hot even with my thin cheap pizza stone. I would probably need to place it higher in the oven and run the broiler to keep the bottom from outrunning the top.
Ryan

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2016, 06:47:26 PM »
You'd have to remind me the context I said flour choice isn't that important.

5 minutes would be about the maximum.

Hot and heat are related but they aren't the same thing. Steel isn't about getting hotter, it's about delivering a lot of heat faster. I doubt you would need to use the broiler. My oven will go 585F and I don't use the broiler.

Offline invertedisdead

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2016, 09:56:34 PM »
You'd have to remind me the context I said flour choice isn't that important.

5 minutes would be about the maximum.

Hot and heat are related but they aren't the same thing. Steel isn't about getting hotter, it's about delivering a lot of heat faster. I doubt you would need to use the broiler. My oven will go 585F and I don't use the broiler.

Something along the lines of flour choice not being all that important for great pizza. A lot of times you recommend KAAP and tell folks to not get hung up on finding 00 or high gluten flour.

This is under 4 minutes with my stone on the bottom rack.
Ryan