Author Topic: Looking for an honest opinion of using a starter vs. IDY/ADY ...  (Read 2747 times)

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: Looking for an honest opinion of using a starter vs. IDY/ADY ...
« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2014, 03:07:18 PM »
Oh i see what you are referring to Craig.  I missed the fact that the Pizza Raquel recipe had IDY.  I DO want to trust my SD ... so would you recommend I just omit that part of the formula?  It IS only a "baker's pinch" but I know that can be a lot in IDY.

No, I would not recommend that formula/workflow, but that's just a reflection of how I think pizza should be made. Pete Taylor makes awesome pizza (http://www.wood-firedpizza.com/), so I would not fault you for trying it.

Things in it I don't agree with include:
- I don't think HG flour is a good choice for NP/Neo-NP/Neo-NY. I'd use KAAP over KASL (or KABF) for this style.
- Baker's yeast and SD
- 7% culture (way too much)
- Autolyse is not bad but it is unnecessary
- Refrigerated fermentation period, but especially with SD.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2014, 03:30:55 PM »
To the best of my knowledge, Pete Taylor uses only a natural leavening system: http://www.wood-firedpizza.com/about.html. I often would speak with Peter whether he would be able to develop a chain of pizzerias that was based on using natural leavening systems. He has two locations but that has been the case for a few years now.

Peter

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2014, 03:54:12 PM »
[quote author=Pete-zza link=topic=33235.msg often would speak with Peter whether he would be able to develop a chain of pizzerias that was based on using natural leavening systems. He has two locations but that has been the case for a few years now.

Peter
[/quote]$10 for a cored tomato filled with pesto sauce....$16 for a 10in. pizza.....man, I am in the wrong business.   :-\
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline jvp123

• Learning and loving it!
« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2014, 04:01:55 PM »
No, I would not recommend that formula/workflow, but that's just a reflection of how I think pizza should be made. Pete Taylor makes awesome pizza (http://www.wood-firedpizza.com/), so I would not fault you for trying it.

Things in it I don't agree with include:
- I don't think HG flour is a good choice for NP/Neo-NP/Neo-NY. I'd use KAAP over KASL (or KABF) for this style.
- Baker's yeast and SD
- 7% culture (way too much)
- Autolyse is not bad but it is unnecessary
- Refrigerated fermentation period, but especially with SD.

I said to myself .. I thought Craig did a 48 hour refrigerator fermentation so I went back to the "garage" and re read your method.  I realized you were very far from that.  Very far!  I also now understand the difference between "refrigerated" fermentation at the 35-40 degree level vs. 60-77 degree "room temp" fermentations as you use.  I never mentally processed the distinction in those temps but now I get it.  Seems obvious now - duh!  After devouring all the info on this forum sometimes the wires and methods can get mixed up.  :-\ 
I appreciate your input Craig and will incorporate accordingly as I create my method.
Jeff
Jeff

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2014, 04:09:56 PM »
One or maybe 2 days a year my actual room temp is 64F.  :-D  That is my absolutely favorite time to make pizza.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline David Esq.

• Making pizza since 2013
    • Eating With David
« Reply #55 on: October 15, 2014, 10:17:37 PM »
Sourdough is a super stable super difficult culture to kill once it is established.  Mine lives in the fridge, in a 1/2 pint mason jar, and it is fed every week or two.  If I scooped out the entire 30-40 grams leaving a residue on it, I could add a bit of water, wipe the sides with my finger to get the residue to cloud the water, feed it some flour and have a thriving culture by the end of the day.

When I want to bake, I can take 18-20 grams of it, feed it some water and flour in the morning, and that evening, I take the recently fed starter and add enough flour and water to make my levain, which is ready the following morning to be mixed with the dough.

The window is flexible enough so that I could use my levain 12 hours later or 24 hours later (if refrigerated) and get a great bread.

Been making pizza with yeast lately and have really enjoyed it. But I will be trying sourdough in the near future (I had some great success using the Tartine country loaf dough for pizza but want to branch out to get a good idea of what I like working with and eating best.