Author Topic: Reviving Camaldoni/Ischia starter & 00 flour = FAIL?  (Read 121 times)

Online raphaels

• I Love Pizza!
Reviving Camaldoni/Ischia starter & 00 flour = FAIL?
« on: June 26, 2016, 12:16:51 PM »
Hi all,

I have to say I am a bit depressed with all this sourdo thing..

Back 6 months ago I tried to make my own sourdough culture with 00 flour. It was a fail, after 2 weeks, it was still not doubling in size. I gave up.

Now i built a proofing box with termstat and bough two italian cultures from sourdo.

Last week, I started reviving the Camaldoni culture. Again i use 00 flour, and follow all the instructions. However, after 7 days still no significant changes. There are few bubbles and foam from time to time but thats it..

I turn to you guys caus I dont really understand what do i do wrong. I feed twice a day, 120gr flour, 80water for a base of 100gr sourdough,as i understand 00 flour absorbs less water.

My goal is to make a sourdough pizza using 00 flour thats why I am stubborned to use the same flour in the sourdough starter...

Thank you for your help.. i am scared to revive the other Ischia culture and f..k it up as well as it took nearly a month and a half to arrive by post...

Than you
Raphael

Online TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: Reviving Camaldoni/Ischia starter & 00 flour = FAIL?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 12:18:45 PM »
I never thought about it before because I've never used '00' flour in my SD culture, but it may not be the best choice for starting a culture. Since it has no malt, there is going to be a lot less sugars available to the yeast and bacteria.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Online raphaels

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 12:25:52 PM »
Then if i use some bread flour for the sourdough but 00 flour to make a sourdough pizza? Isnt it an issue?

Online TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2016, 12:32:51 PM »
Then if i use some bread flour for the sourdough but 00 flour to make a sourdough pizza? Isnt it an issue?

No. Not unless you are using a very large quantity of starter in the formula, and only then if your baking temp is 800F+.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  

Online TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2016, 12:34:01 PM »
I pretty much only feed my culture KAAP. Not for any particular reason other than I always have it around, and I try to be generally consistent with my feeding.

Offline bradtri

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2016, 01:54:50 PM »
For what it's worth, the Camaldoni culture I got from sourdo.com earlier this year failed to start too. 

Followed the exact same method with Ischia and it started right up.

Online raphaels

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2016, 03:42:19 PM »
Which flour did you use?

Offline bradtri

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2016, 04:13:22 PM »
I believe it was King Arthur All Purpose

Online raphaels

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2016, 04:03:53 PM »
All right, I am starting to revive the Ischia culture.. again following instructions... lets see if i have more luck with strong bread flour..

wordpress