Author Topic: Ischia starter?  (Read 3851 times)

Offline Tory

Ischia starter?
« on: June 28, 2012, 11:21:09 AM »
Can someone here please explain to me what an Ischia culture/starter is, and maybe how to make one?

I've seen info about it, but never heard of it before that. I've tried googling it, but searching just bring me back to this forum.

I did find a video on youtube, but it seems like they're starting in the middle of the process and adding to it without explaining what they've done or what they're doing.
Kind of annoying. :(

Thanks in advance for any help.

Tory

Offline anton-luigi

Re: Ischia starter?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 11:33:23 AM »
the "Ischia" starter is a dry packet sourdough starter that is purchased from Sourdo.com as a part of their Italian starters along with the Camaldoli starter( a natural yeast that was wild-caught on Camaldoli hill),  it is a specific starter that comes from the Ischia Islands off the coast of Italy.  You cannot make or create one of these.  This particular yeast(Ischia) is a culture that has been in use there for 250 years as I understand it,  so you are buying a piece of history as well.  :)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 11:35:26 AM by anton-luigi »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 11:50:11 AM »
Tory,

I tried to detail as much as I could of the process when I was learning how to activate the Ischia starter.  This is the thread where I activated the Ischia starter if you are interested.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11578.0.html

Other members helped me in the process of understanding.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline dwighttsharpe

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 07:27:49 PM »
With a short search, this is the only source I could find:

http://www.culturesforhealth.com/ischia-sourdough-starter.html
Dwight

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 08:17:05 PM »
I think most folks get it here: www.sourdo.com.

It's one of the two you get when you buy the Italian cultures.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Tory

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 09:23:03 AM »
Thank you, everyone who answered my question. I've gone ahead and ordered some of that Ischia culture.

Does anyone know about that "Revised Classic Sourdough" book that is advertised on that same sourdo site?  Is it a good book?

-Tory

Offline akuban

• Supporting Member
  • Crusty, saucy, cheesy
    • Margot's Pizza
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 09:51:30 PM »
I'm in the same boat OP was. I have always just cultured my own starter. But now I am curious about the sourdo.com Italian pack. For those of you who have done both, what advantages, if any, do you feel you've gotten from Ischia and/or Camaldoli?
¡Hasta la pizza!

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 10:32:20 PM »
I'm in the same boat OP was. I have always just cultured my own starter. But now I am curious about the sourdo.com Italian pack. For those of you who have done both, what advantages, if any, do you feel you've gotten from Ischia and/or Camaldoli?

Adam,

Are you asking about advantages of sourdo.com vs. captured cultures or are you asking about Ischia vs. Camaldoli?

Offline carl333

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2014, 12:57:53 PM »
Bill, looks like Adam disapeared. I'd like to hear from you egarding the difference in the 2 if you habe an opinion. I am looking to use a starter but don't know what direction to take

tks