Author Topic: High gluten flour, where to find.  (Read 2964 times)

Offline Pennino

High gluten flour, where to find.
« on: June 28, 2012, 02:08:32 PM »
 I'm in NE Georgia. Does anyone know of places I can purchase it? I want to try making NY style pies. I recently got a Silicon Carbide kiln shelf. All my pies in the past have been made with AP and BF. When I do it I wanna get it as right as I can.

Offline scott123

Re: High gluten flour, where to find.
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 04:40:35 PM »
Goal: 12.7%-13.5% protein bromated flour

Option 1 (Ideal)

Dawn Food Products Inc
2100 Thornton Road # 300, Lithia Springs, GA
(770) 577-4144 ‎ dawnfoods.com

Call Dawn and see if they'll do 'Cash & Carry.' Some Dawns will sell to the public, some won't.  Get the name of the person you're talking to.

Dawn is ideal, because they have the widest variety of flours.  The flour you're looking for here is Spring King.

Option 2

Sam's Club Baker's & Chef's HI GLUTEN FLOUR

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=10630.0

This is bleached and bromated, and should be in the right range of protein, but not all Sam's Clubs carry it. Call before you go. If your local Sam's doesn't carry it, see if they can special order it for you.

Option 3

http://www.restaurantdepot.com/locations

Restaurant Depot
Atlanta, GA 1455 Ellsworth Industrial Blvd. Atlanta,  GA
Phone: 404-351-2501

Norcross, GA 6655 Crescent Drive Norcross,  GA 30071
Phone: Phone: 770-416-6490

Call and see if you can get a one day pass or find someone with a business and use their tax id.

The downside to RD is that they probably won't carry a 13%ish protein flour and you'll have to go with a 14% flour like All Trumps and blend it with all purpose. This will still be better than anything you can get in the supermarket, it just won't be as good as Spring King.

Option 4

Befriend a local bakery.  Call around and see if a bakery will sell you flour. You should be looking for any of these brands

Here are the brands to look for:

Full Strength
Spring King
Occident
Pillsbury xxxx patent flour
King Midas Special
Superlative
Commander
Majestic
Springup
Perfect Diamond (I think this is 12.5%ish, but not sure)

If you have to take a 14% flour (and blend it)

All Trumps
Hummer
Bouncer

as I said, 14% is not the end of the world, as long as it's bromated.

Edit: I found two more flour wholesalers to call and see if they'll sell to the public

Sutherland's Foodservice , Forest Park, GA, 404-366-8550
Sysco Atlanta, College Park, GA, 800-366-4454

Btw, if you can score a tax id for RD, see if you can use if for Dawn instead.  Dawn is better than RD.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 04:58:13 PM by scott123 »

Offline Pennino

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 06:02:03 PM »
Cool. Samsclub is the closest to me. My membership expired, but my son has one. I'll try to get together with him and getsome. Thanks  Scott.

Offline scott123

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 06:07:46 PM »
You're welcome, Pennino.

Bear in mind, while I think, if you're  willing to travel to Atlanta, your odds are decent of finding bromated flour, there's a chance that none of these options will bear fruit.  If you do strike out completely, keep trying, but, in the mean time, King Arthur Bread Flour will be better than White Lily. It will be a lot harder to achieve bromated flour results with KA, but it can be done.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 12:06:38 AM »
Some time ago, I called Dawn Food Products out of Atlanta and was told that they did not do any cash and carry, as I noted at Reply 4 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1953.msg17266/topicseen.html#msg17266. Also, some Dawn locations have a minimum purchase requirement that can be pretty steep for home pizza makers. So, it is wise to call to see what their present policies are on cash and carry.

Peter

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 11:36:38 AM »
Dawn's website is far from user friendly. I was just looking and it didn't provide any info as to the brands they carry. Maybe I'm doing something wrong! ???

Offline scott123

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 01:06:36 AM »
Dave, Dawn is a massive company. When you get into big corporations like this, the websites are generally very hard to navigate.

I've called my local Dawn (Edison, NJ) a few times looking for different flours, and, while they didn't carry unbromated Bouncer (nobody uses unbromated flour), everything else they did have.

Now, there could be a regional component to this.  Edison serves Northern NJ and possibly Staten Island as well, so there's going to be hundreds of bakeries and pizzerias ordering flour from them, so that's going to drive diversity. In a less populated area, you might find few flours available.

Give your local distributor call.  You'll be able to get much further with a live person than trying to navigate the website.

pizzapan