Author Topic: Gluten Free + Paleo Pizza  (Read 2878 times)

Offline iamrook85

Gluten Free + Paleo Pizza
« on: June 28, 2012, 02:32:13 PM »
Was wondering if anyone has had any luck with a pizza dough following the Paleo diet?  Main principle being that you can't even use rice flour, which many gluten-free crusts do.  I have seen some made with cornmeal, flax meal, coconut flour, almond flour, and even cauliflower.  It seems like some of the better looking ones use almond flour and coconut flour but I am allergic to both.  Anyone have any luck with a Paleo diet gluten free dough/crust?  Thanks!

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
Re: Gluten Free + Paleo Pizza
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 06:21:23 PM »
I am on Paleo as well. I have tried almond and coconut flours with literally no success at all. My wife and I agreed that once a week pizza would be a cheat meal, and it has worked out well. We make our own dough and use alot of paleo ingredients, including vegetables we grow ourselves. It is hard to replace a food item that is so closely associated with grains and fermentation.

That being said, I believe that fully hydrated flour with a long, natural fermentation (ie, dough made at home) is not as detrimental to the body as a Dominos pizza might be.

I believe that Caputo came out with a gluten free flour which might be interesting to try.

John

buceriasdon

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 06:58:28 PM »
I assume you are looking for recipes from the Upper Paleolithic Period where some harvesting of vegetables may have take place, so  I would look at zucchini doughs. This may have also been the time that pizza on a stick was invented.

Phar Lap

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 09:27:52 PM »
John,

I missed your post in June...this thread is not very active.  

I have been following the Primal blueprint/diet--(Mark Sisson's "version" of ancestral/paleo eating)--for about 8  months now, and the results have been impossible to argue with: lost 40 pounds, gained 15 pounds of lean muscle mass, to overall 12% body fat, and continuing to drop--(not bad for 36 year-old with 50-70 hour a week sedentary managerial job).  My blood work has improved across the board, although my M.D.  cannot grasp the Primal concept, and still maintains I should watch my fat/cholesterol intake...haaa...80-85 percent of my daily calories are now from fat/protein, with my average carbohydrate intake below 100grams per day.  The most interesting/best experience to date has been my new-found freedom from the daily blood sugar roller-coaster necessitating 6+ meals per day...I now eat 1 or 2 meals a day with little to no hunger/cravings...truly liberating.

The irony is that just as I started to learn how to make really good pizza, with multiple sources of help including your "Keste Clone" thread, I recognized the need to figure out how to improve and maximize my health around the same time.  I have a 5-year old and 2-year old boys, and the most important thing is too set the best example for them.          

I live in New London NH, and we are fortunate enough up here to have regular/economical access to grass-fed beef, pastured animals, local vegetables, and seasonal fruits...I am thinking of starting a weekly meeting/workout group for Primal/Paleo enthusiasts.  You would/will be more than welcome.    

Adam        
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 10:01:25 AM by Phar Lap »

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 11:54:15 PM »
Adam - yes, I have been on Marks plan. I also love the Cordain books, the most recent was an eye opener - The Paleo Answer.

I have cut back on fat and replaced it with more lean meats and more fish.

When we have pizza it is Neapolitan - light, airy, naturally fermented. I have no digestion issues. When I eat NY style with thick crusts and heavy topping my stomach turns into a volcano.

I have added rice back into the mix with no ill effects - those days I only eat two meals. And I still only cheat 3 times a week (usually Sunday breakfast).

Overall I have improved my high cholestrerol and no longer need meds. I have also lost around 20 pounds. And I work out about 3 times per week.

Let me know about any get togethers you put on.

John