Author Topic: question about using broiler  (Read 1032 times)

Offline patnx2

question about using broiler
« on: June 29, 2012, 01:22:09 AM »
Trying to maximize oven heating. Now heating is done by preheating oven for 1 hour with stone 6 inch's from broiler. After an hour I put on the broiler for about 10 minutes,turn off broiler and put oven back on and put pizza in for 4 mins and put on broiler for 1 to 2 minutes. Question is  does the broiler heat  stone more then just oven?? By the way I'm enjoying my 5-6 min bakes. Patrick from Modesto
Patrick

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
Re: question about using broiler
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 03:09:53 AM »
Seems like more of timing and direction thing than overall heat.  The stone will hold the heat from the preheat, then you put the pizza on it and hit the broiler to get the top heat.  Please post some pics, it's hard to get more specific without that.
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline scott123

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 02:03:51 AM »
Patrick, you're going to find some different opinions on this, but I believe that using the broiler to pre-heat the stone is a lost cause and that it only heats up the top of the stone, and, unlike the bake pre-heat, the heat doesn't really penetrate/saturate the stone- which is where you want it.

When members have taken temperatures of stones being pre-heated by the broiler, the top of the stone would get hotter, but the bottom of the stone would get proportionately cooler.  You're only as good as the heat store throughout the stone, not just the temp of the surface.

The other downside to heating the stone with the broiler is that, if you've got the broiler on close to the bake, once you start baking the pizza and need the broiler, the oven will be too hot and the broiler won't kick in.

As Brian pointed out, you generally want to use the broiler during the bake, not for pre-heat.

Offline patnx2

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 02:59:15 AM »
Thanks guys that answers my question. I have had good results with this method and as you know tweeking is fun and sometimes very productive. Tonight I baked two extra pizzas for neighbors and got good feedback. Thanks again Patrick
Patrick

pizzapan