Author Topic: Weber Performer Grill  (Read 2151 times)

Offline Jackitup

Weber Performer Grill
« on: June 29, 2012, 01:35:37 AM »
Soooo......Just got one for a HECK of a deal. I checked about 20 websites and stores and they ALL go for 329....except the one I got. My brother's buddy, now mine too, sold us 2, in the box, WITH the gas charcoal starter for 250 apiece. What was really nice, his store is less than a mile from my house. Saved 80 bucks and didn't break 2 miles there and back! Now I can justify it to the Warden, she understands sales!! Got the red one. Also looking to get the Kettle Pizza insert too. Now tomorrow, beer and assembly day. I have a few ideas to increase the performance of that kettle insert and for the price I got a great charcoal grill and a pizza grill for a lot less than 3-4 thousand for the WFO. I'll keep you all posted on how things go. For now I think it's worth a shot, was in the market for the grill anyway, why not give it a shot!
Jon

http://www.steingg.com/pc/catalog/378192-weber-performer-red-_931_detail.jpg
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
Re: Weber Performer Grill
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 01:57:20 AM »
That looks exactly like what I have.  I made an LBE out of it, and I'm extremely pleased with it.  As far as I know, no one has combined a LBE with the Pizza Kettle insert.  Maybe you could be the first!  The brave explorer, the groundbreaking pioneer, the champion... you get it.  :)

I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 02:17:29 AM »
The insert will allow me to still use it as a grill and give me a 2 dimensional cooker. I think this is going go pretty well, fingers crossed ;-)

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 03:04:04 AM »
Jon,
  it's not an either-or proposition.  Even if you mod your grill to hold a propane burner, you can still use it with charcoal only.  It's a simple mod.  All it takes is cutting out the propeller thingy, and bolting in the burner.  You can remove the burner from the ashcatcher in 5 minutes, but I don't even bother.  Just turn it upside down, knock the crap out of it, it's fine.

Personally, I would like to try the pizza insert, but no one is handing me $160 at this point. 

Congrats on your new grills(s?). They look great!

I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline TRRH

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 09:34:00 AM »
Greetings,
Here are a few pics of my recent DIY Weber kettle brick wood fired pizza oven.  Basically split and full firebrick arranged with angle iron to provide a small fire chamber. I used a charcoal fire below the floor...heat goes up around floor to help heat chamber then a wood fire at 9 o'clock. I put pizza on a perforated pizza tray and rotated it frequently with tongs. Preheated for 1.5 hrs...Took about 2-3 minutes to cook a 9" pizza.

Have cooked 5 pizzas on it and was ok .....will do another run in a few days.

Cheers,
Terry