Author Topic: Philadelphia’s 9th Street Italian Market, any member ever visited the market?  (Read 6986 times)

Offline communist

Nice pics and write up for the Italian Market Norma!  I was at a graduation just outside of Philly today and the only pizza they were talking about was Taconelli's - which I have never had. - I have to get back to the market real soon.  It is a unique experience.  As my past experience indicated, there does not seem to be a premier pizza parlor in the Italian Market, but a whole lot of good food and shops.  Thanks again for the pics!  Mark

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
What a trip! Thanks for all the pics too. I'd be interested to hear what you think of the foods you bought as you work your way throu it-specifically the sausage, and fresh mozz.

I've always wanted to visit, but haven't had the chance.

I wish I talked like that just once!  :-D Jeff

Jeff,

Glad you enjoyed the pictures that were taken at the Italian Market today.  I sure could have taken a lot more.  Some of those businesses had so many things that I would have liked to try.  All those cheeses, Italian meats and all that other stuff was really neat.  

I will let you know how the sausage and fresh mozzarella are.  That sausage place sure was cool.  The Riserva Prosciutto tastes great, but that had so many varieties of Prosciutto that it had me confused.  The man that was waiting on me was trying to get me to try so many samples.  If I made more Neapolitan pies, I would have purchased a lot more stuff.

Hope you get to visit the Italian market someday.  :)

Just once is one of my Pa. Dutch sayings.  :-D

Norma  
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Nice pics and write up for the Italian Market Norma!  I was at a graduation just outside of Philly today and the only pizza they were talking about was Taconelli's - which I have never had. - I have to get back to the market real soon.  It is a unique experience.  As my past experience indicated, there does not seem to be a premier pizza parlor in the Italian Market, but a whole lot of good food and shops.  Thanks again for the pics!  Mark

Mark,

I never tried Taconelli’s pizza either, but if everyone was talking about that pizza it must be good.   ;D

You are so right, that the market is a unique experience.  Thanks for your help too!  :) I really liked all the good food shops.  If I could have, I would have come home with a car full of items from the market.  :-D  Many items I can’t purchase near me. 

Norma

parallei

Thanks for the photo tour Norma. Here in Denver, I need to travel all over town to find 1/8th that many goodies!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Thanks for the photo tour Norma. Here in Denver, I need to travel all over town to find 1/8th that many goodies!

Paul,

I also have the same problem.  I can't find much of any of those goodies where I live either.  :'( There were many things I didn't take pictures of.  Many kinds of olives and lots of other goodies.   

Norma

Offline sajata

sorry this is after the fact but Sarcones Bakery http://www.sarconesbakery.com/ has the best bread ont he planet, it is a block or two north of the market on 9th.  when i met my wife i told her that she need to adapt to two things a commercial stove in the kitchen and second sarcones bread.  she agrees with the sarcones part.    Also the south end of the market is Cheese Steak heaven.  i know i am going to start a religious war here but i am a Pats fan for steaks and a Geno’s fan for cheese fries.  "Cheese wit!"

Also for a sit down place to eat is Sabrina's http://sabrinascafe.com/

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
sorry this is after the fact but Sarcones Bakery http://www.sarconesbakery.com/ has the best bread ont he planet, it is a block or two north of the market on 9th.  when i met my wife i told her that she need to adapt to two things a commercial stove in the kitchen and second sarcones bread.  she agrees with the sarcones part.    Also the south end of the market is Cheese Steak heaven.  i know i am going to start a religious war here but i am a Pats fan for steaks and a Geno’s fan for cheese fries.  "Cheese wit!"

Also for a sit down place to eat is Sabrina's http://sabrinascafe.com/

sajata,

I posted at Reply 12  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,19792.msg194185.html#msg194185 the picture of Sarcones Bakery right next to Ralph’s Italian Resturant.  I didn’t purchase any of Sarcones  bread, but did purchase the pepperoni roll I posted the picture of the second picture down in that above post.  My daughter and I did eat some of that pepperoni roll and it is the best thing I ever tasted.  ;D I took pictures and am going to start a new thread to see if anyone might know how to make those pepperoni rolls.  The roll part is so soft and the taste of the crust is great.  I do want to purchase some of Sarcones bread on my next visit to the market.

Thanks for posting about Pat’s for steaks and Geno’s for cheese fries.  Sound great to me!  ;D

Norma

Offline Trinity

• Extra cheese please!
Great pictures Norma! :)

But now I crave about 20 different things... :-D

I wonder what rabbit tastes like. >:D  They are taking over my yard, and whole neighborhood. :-D
It's an Earth food. They are called Swedish meatballs. It's a strange thing, but every sentient race has its own version of these Swedish meatballs! I suspect it's one of those great universal mysteries which will either never be explained, or which would drive you mad if you ever learned the truth.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Great pictures Norma! :)

But now I crave about 20 different things... :-D

I wonder what rabbit tastes like. >:D  They are taking over my yard, and whole neighborhood. :-D

Trinity,

Lol, about you craving 20 different things now!  :-D  I used to eat wild rabbit that my dad killed during hunting season and thought it was okay, but guess the rabbits they sell at market would be better.  Maybe you should try rabbit.  ;D

The one thing that kind of grossed me out was that animal hanging up with the eyeball staring at me.   :o

They had so many fresh fish and seafood stands at market also.  Loads of customers were there from Philly.  I could tell by the way they talked and they did know the vendors by name.

Norma

Offline Meatballs

Norma,

Thank you so much for the photo tour of 9th street.  Your pictures bring back so many memories for me when I was growing up.  My father used to take me down to 9th street when he went down to pick up some of his favorites.  I remember going into the cheese store and the sausage store with him and just watching.  First he would say hello in English and catch up for a minute, with I am assuming, must have been one of his old high school friends.  Soon every other word was Italian and then in another minute the English would disappear and it was all in Italian.  Although he never taught me Italian, I knew the deal was being made and I would soon be breaking my back carrying out a big box of something really tasty.  I remember taking my (now wife) girlfriend from Alabama there and showing her around Dad's old haunts and buying from the street vendors.  I think it was a major piece of the Italian charm I laid on her that eventually persuaded her to marry me.  I took her to Fanta's to show her the tools she would need to keep me.  I still order from Fanta's to this day on-line but the experience is just not the same.

Again, thanks for the photos, seems the place is timeless.

Ron

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Norma,

Thank you so much for the photo tour of 9th street.  Your pictures bring back so many memories for me when I was growing up.  My father used to take me down to 9th street when he went down to pick up some of his favorites.  I remember going into the cheese store and the sausage store with him and just watching.  First he would say hello in English and catch up for a minute, with I am assuming, must have been one of his old high school friends.  Soon every other word was Italian and then in another minute the English would disappear and it was all in Italian.  Although he never taught me Italian, I knew the deal was being made and I would soon be breaking my back carrying out a big box of something really tasty.  I remember taking my (now wife) girlfriend from Alabama there and showing her around Dad's old haunts and buying from the street vendors.  I think it was a major piece of the Italian charm I laid on her that eventually persuaded her to marry me.  I took her to Fanta's to show her the tools she would need to keep me.  I still order from Fanta's to this day on-line but the experience is just not the same.

Again, thanks for the photos, seems the place is timeless.

Ron

Ron,

You’re welcome anytime.  I am glad the pictures brought back memories for you when you were growing up.  :)  It is interesting that you father used to take you to 9th street and you also went to the same businesses.  I like the part of your story about your father speaking in Italian and you knowing when the deal was done.  There sure were a lot of Italians there yesterday.  Good to hear your girlfriend became your wife from the Italian charm you laid on her.   ;D

I had never been to the 9th street market before, but think this was once place that has stood the test of time.  When we went to park in a lot, we asked if we were right at the 9th st. market and the parking lot attendant said what is left of it.  I guess at one time the market was even bigger, but I enjoyed it like it was yesterday.

Norma

Offline Meatballs

I haven't been in probably 20 years but your pictures are what I remember, maybe minus a bunch of street carts.  The Italian culture is what I miss most about the North but I've found a few Italian communities in the south, New Orleans, and some in Tampa Florida, but nothing like the Neapolitan community in Philadelphia and New Jersey.  I currently live in South Alabama where the only Italian influence is in my kitchen, We're known as one of the best dinner invites in the county.

Ron

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
I haven't been in probably 20 years but your pictures are what I remember, maybe minus a bunch of street carts.  The Italian culture is what I miss most about the North but I've found a few Italian communities in the south, New Orleans, and some in Tampa Florida, but nothing like the Neapolitan community in Philadelphia and New Jersey.  I currently live in South Alabama where the only Italian influence is in my kitchen, We're known as one of the best dinner invites in the county.

Ron

Ron,

I didn’t see any street carts, but there were many vegetable vendors along the one side of 9th. St.  If anyone cares to visit 9th St. Italian Market, I think it should be mentioned that all of these businesses I went to aren‘t right on 9th St.  Some are off on the side streets about a block away from 9th St.  It looked to us that there was some kind of Mexican market the other way on 9th. St. and also some kind of Asian market on another street when we were leaving, but it was getting too warm to try to see what they were.  Maybe next time we will visit them.  I also purchased a Venus Fly Trap plant.  That thing is funny, how it eats stuff.   :-D

I can see how you miss the large Italian communities around Philly and in New Jersey.  I think South Philly was largely an Italian community years ago.  I remember going to South Philly years ago and about all you saw were Italians.  That sure has changed now, but in no way did we feel unsafe in either of the South Philly neighborhoods I was in. 

I can only imagine what a great Italian cook you are and am sure your do serve the best dinners in your neighborhood.  :chef: I sure would like to try some of your meals, because I do love Italian foods. 

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
I tried some of the products that I purchased at 9th. St. Italian Market yesterday on two Papa Gino’s pizzas.  The fresh mozzarella was very good, the Pancetta was delicious and the homemade pepperoni was delicious eaten plain or baked on a pizza.  The homemade pepperoni did taste like Vermont smoked pepperoni and also had the cupping action even when baked in the deck oven.   Pictures of the pizzas I used the ingredients on.  The grated Parmigiano-Reggiano also was very tasty.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Norma

Offline johnnydoubleu

• Thrill junkie. Baker. Cook. Coder. Aesthete.
    • johnwozniak.com
There is a whole lotta parbaking going on...for shame.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
There is a whole lotta parbaking going on...for shame.

John,

I don't understand what you mean by "there is a lotta parbaking going on..for shame".  Do you mean the Joey Mack's pizza?

Norma

Offline petef

Norma, that was a great presentation of the 9th Street Italian Market and surrounding stores. Your pics did a much better job of presenting the market than their entire website. Bravo!!!

One more question; What's the parking situation? Can you park relatively close to the market in a secured parking lot?

Thanks again for thinking of us here at pizzamaking.com

---pete---

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Norma, that was a great presentation of the 9th Street Italian Market and surrounding stores. Your pics did a much better job of presenting the market than their entire website. Bravo!!!

One more question; What's the parking situation? Can you park relatively close to the market in a secured parking lot?

Thanks again for thinking of us here at pizzamaking.com

---pete---

---pete---,

I am glad you liked the pictures of 9th St. Italian Market and surrounding stores.  I could have taken a lot more pictures like I posted before, but it takes me too much time to resize and then post them.  You really can’t appreciate all the food products, other items and how the atmosphere is until you are there. 

The parking is fine, or at least it was for us.  We could pay 2.00 for 2 hours, or 5.00 for all day.  A parking lot attendant was on duty the whole time we were there.  We paid the 5.00 since we didn’t know how long we would be there.  We were there about 3 hrs.  This is the link for parking at 9th St. Italian Market.  http://www.phillyitalianmarket.com/market/9thstreet.htm under maps and directions.

I just made some of the sausage Florentine tonight and it was the best sausage I have ever eaten and I live in homemade sausage country.  The sausage just melted in my mouth.  My daughter also said it was the best sausage she has ever eaten.  I still have the other sausage to try.  I will post the picture of the sausage tomorrow.  I sure wished I would have purchased more of the sausage to freeze, but will the next time I go to the 9th St. Market.

If you decide to go, let us know what you think.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
This was the sausage Florentine (spinach and cheese) from Fiorella’s Sausage that the picture of Fiorella’s Sausage was posted at Reply 14  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,19792.msg194187.html#msg194187   The Florentine sausage was very flavorful and was the best sausage I have ever eaten.  The corn was fresh picked today and was sweet "bread and butter” corn.  The corn was also delicious in my opinion.

Norma

pizzapan