Author Topic: Philadelphia’s 9th Street Italian Market, any member ever visited the market?  (Read 9517 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
My daughter said we might go to Philadelphia’s 9th Street Italian Market tomorrow.  http://www.phillyitalianmarket.com/market/9thstreet.htm  It looks like a nice array of shops with many things that might be purchased.  I was wondering if any member was there before to tell me if it is a good place to visit and what they like there, if they went.  I am particularly looking for cheeses, Italian meats, Pasta and anything that might be unique.  I see there are two pizzerias there.  Are any of them any good?

http://www.phillyitalianmarket.com/index.html

If we don’t visit this week, it might be another week.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline communist

Norma, I have been to the Philadelphia Italian Market many times, but have not gone recently.  It is an exceptional market, and I have seen it referred to as one of the finest cultural treasures of our country.  I would strongly agree with that.  I have to get back down soon.  It has been over 5 years.  There are several favorites of mine:  DiBruno House of Cheese, with fresh, homemade mozarella, homemade ricotta, and an amazing selection of imported cheese and other products.  Ralph's Italian Restaurant - I think it may be the oldest family run restaurant in the country or something like that.  But the food is great, the service excellent, prices not too bad and the ambiance like old country.  I had my wedding reception at Le Bec Fin in Philly, at the time possibly the best restaurant in the country ( 22 years ago ) and had a great time, but my sweetest memories are from Ralph's for a late dinner on my wedding day.  Check it out if you get the chance.  For the cook, and I know you are a cook thru and thru, Fantes cooking supplies is a fantastic store to walk through.  A must see.  The bake shops are great, and just a bit away is Termini's bake shop, an old world shop that is a jewel.  The Italian breads are marvelous.  As far as pizza is concerned in the Italian market, I do not have much to report.  I have had some pretty good street slices there but nothing to talk about.  I have had your pizza and none at the market was anywhere as good as yours.  Good Luck!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Norma, I have been to the Philadelphia Italian Market many times, but have not gone recently.  It is an exceptional market, and I have seen it referred to as one of the finest cultural treasures of our country.  I would strongly agree with that.  I have to get back down soon.  It has been over 5 years.  There are several favorites of mine:  DiBruno House of Cheese, with fresh, homemade mozarella, homemade ricotta, and an amazing selection of imported cheese and other products.  Ralph's Italian Restaurant - I think it may be the oldest family run restaurant in the country or something like that.  But the food is great, the service excellent, prices not too bad and the ambiance like old country.  I had my wedding reception at Le Bec Fin in Philly, at the time possibly the best restaurant in the country ( 22 years ago ) and had a great time, but my sweetest memories are from Ralph's for a late dinner on my wedding day.  Check it out if you get the chance.  For the cook, and I know you are a cook thru and thru, Fantes cooking supplies is a fantastic store to walk through.  A must see.  The bake shops are great, and just a bit away is Termini's bake shop, an old world shop that is a jewel.  The Italian breads are marvelous.  As far as pizza is concerned in the Italian market, I do not have much to report.  I have had some pretty good street slices there but nothing to talk about.  I have had your pizza and none at the market was anywhere as good as yours.  Good Luck!

Mark,

Thank you very much for telling me what you like at Philadelphia’s Italian Market.  :) I do want to pick up some different cheeses so I will stop at DiBruno House of Cheese.  I haven’t ever tried fresh made mozzarella from someone other than myself and at some pizzerias.  I appreciate your advice on Ralph’s Italian Restaurant also.  Fantes cooking supplies sounds like a fantastic store too.  I think I will try to stop at the businesses you mentioned. 

I saw on the web that the market is one of the finest cultural treasure in the country and that is what made me want to visit the market, since I am a market person. 

This is another article to add.

http://www.fantes.com/italian-market.html

Thanks for your help!   ;D

Norma

Offline Bob1

Norma,
I used to go down quite often in the early 80's and loved it.  Some people say it is not the same but I do not know.  You should try Termini pastry while you are down there.  It is really interesting on the weekend.  They used to sometimes have a guy in there playing an accordian for ambiance.

http://www.termini.com/

Bob

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Norma,
I used to go down quite often in the early 80's and loved it.  Some people say it is not the same but I do not know.  You should try Termini pastry while you are down there.  It is really interesting on the weekend.  They used to sometimes have a guy in there playing an accordian for ambiance.

http://www.termini.com/

Bob

Bob,

Thanks for telling me to try out Termini pastry when I go to the market.  I looked at your link and all of their products look mouth watering delicious!  :P Thanks for the link.

The guy playing the accordion sounds neat!  It is supposed to be in the high 90’s tomorrow so I will see if we go how much I can see.  I already got the cooler out in case we go tomorrow.  :-D

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
These are some pictures from the visit to Philadelphia’s 9th Street Market today.  I thought the market was interesting and really thought the Italian sausage, cookies, cheeses and everything else was different than at the market I am at.  There are many meat vendors, fresh seafood vendors, poultry, pasta and many vegetable vendors.  I also like that I could go inside at some businesses in the air-conditioning because it was hot today in Philadelphia.  I thought the market was like a step back in time, which is good.  :)

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
The pignoli cookies at Isgro Italian Bakery were 24.95 a lb., but I had to try them.  Are they ever good!  I wonder if anyone has a recipe for pignoli cookies.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Norma