Author Topic: Philadelphia’s 9th Street Italian Market, any member ever visited the market?  (Read 7104 times)

Offline johnnydoubleu

• Thrill junkie. Baker. Cook. Coder. Aesthete.
    • johnwozniak.com
John,

I don't understand what you mean by "there is a lotta parbaking going on..for shame".  Do you mean the Joey Mack's pizza?

Norma

Yes and elsewhere. It is fairly common unfortunately. I guess in some instances parbaking can be considered part of a "style" but as a crust lover I am not a huge fan of giant crackers. :)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Yes and elsewhere. It is fairly common unfortunately. I guess in some instances parbaking can be considered part of a "style" but as a crust lover I am not a huge fan of giant crackers. :)

John,

I didn't know parbaking for a NY style pie was that common.  I know I am not a fan of parbaking for a NY style pizza either.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline franko9752

Thanks for the picture tour of 9th st. They remind me of the Strip District on Penn ave in Pittsburgh, I go there often. Did you ever visit there Norma? My grand dad used to take me and my brothers there for fresh vegies and italian foods early on Sat mornings when we were kids. Penn Mac resides there too.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Thanks for the picture tour of 9th st. They remind me of the Strip District on Penn ave in Pittsburgh, I go there often. Did you ever visit there Norma? My grand dad used to take me and my brothers there for fresh vegies and italian foods early on Sat mornings when we were kids. Penn Mac resides there too.

Frank,

I never visited the Strip District on Penn Ave. in Pittsburgh.  I never heard of the Strip District on Penn Ave in Pittsburgh.  The closest I have been to Pittsburgh is when I visited Erie, Pa different times and bypassed Pittsburgh.  Pittsburgh is a pretty long drive for me from where I live.  9th St. Italian Market only took about 1 hr. 20 minutes to get there, but on the way back we hit accidents and a lot of traffic and the time coming back was about 2 ¼ hrs.  What kind of Italian foods does the Strip District have? Sounds like you have great memories of the Strip District, which is good.  :)

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Spotted this week on the street: Miley Cyrus, Liam Hemsworth and rumors of Richard Dreyfus and Harrison Ford all shooting a new film at 10th and Carpenter! Not bad, 9th Street!

I saw this post on Facebook under 9th St. Italian Market.

Norma
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 09:49:01 AM by norma427 »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
My daughter and I took a road trip today to the 9th St. Italian Market in Philly and also Pizza Brain.  Pizza Brain Museum and Pizzeria pictures are at.  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,20914.0.html

These are the pictures from the 9th St. Italian Market.  I purchased different things today, but some of the things I am looking forward to try are the coffees from Fante’s, the fresh Burrata from Di Bruno Bros and the fresh spinach pasta from Tallato’s. 

I also went to Sarcone’s and the Italian Sausage place I went to before, but the Italian Sausage place was closed today and Sarcone’s was out of the pepperoni rolls my daughter and I liked so much before.  :( I also asked the saleslady at Sarcone’s about purchasing some dough balls.  She said they were out of them for the day.  I had really wanted to try out some dough balls from Sacrone’s.  :'( The saleslady told me in the future to preorder before I come to Sacrone’s again.

The little old lady shopping in the one picture has the Texas Pizza Summit t-shirt on.  I wonder where she came from.  :-D

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
The little old lady shopping in the one picture has the Texas Pizza Summit t-shirt on.  I wonder where she came from.  :-D

Norma,

I know where that old lady came from. She was one of the Occupy Wall Street people, and can be seen in Reply 39 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,16573.msg161740.html#msg161740. My guess that she was driven out of NYC and headed to Philly, with a stolen Craig shirt from the Texas Summit. She perhaps figures that if she can't be one of the 1%-ters, she can at least dress like one.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Norma,

I know where that old lady came from. She was one of the Occupy Wall Street people, and can be seen in Reply 39 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,16573.msg161740.html#msg161740. My guess that she was driven out of NYC and headed to Philly, with a stolen Craig shirt from the Texas Summit. She perhaps figures that if she can't be one of the 1%-ters, she can at least dress like one.

Peter

Yep, Peter you guessed right.  ;D You sure gave me a good laugh.  :-D  Don’t tell Craig about that little old lady that stole a t-shirt from him.  He might get upset.     

You might not have laughed if that little old lady would have gotten a hold of one of some those dough balls from Sacrone’s.  She might have wanted to reverse-engineer those dough balls.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
How to Make Fresh Mozzarella at Talluto's in Philadelphia.  This is where I purchased the fresh pasta.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd2jEPOvyJw&amp;feature=youtu.be" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd2jEPOvyJw&amp;feature=youtu.be</a>

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
I went to Sarcone's Bakery website at http://www.sarconesbakery.com/  because the last time I went to Sarcone's Bakery to try and purchase what I thought were the pepperoni rolls and pizza dough balls they were sold out of both of them.  When looking at what products Sacrone's Bakery sells at http://sarconesbakery.com/?page_id=22 I didn't see what I thought were the pepperoni rolls and only saw pepperoni bread.  I called Sarcone's to see if what I really purchased were pepperoni rolls, or if they were pepperoni bread.  The lady I spoke to said they don't sell any pepperoni rolls and only sell the pepperoni bread in large pieces uncut or single. http://www.sarconesbakery.com/images/pepperoni_bread.jpg  I then asked if the pepperoni bread is made out of pizza dough they sell.  The lady told me no, the pepperoni bread is not make out of the pizza dough balls.  It is now starting to make sense to me why the pepperoni bread I had at Sarcone's was so good and so different.  :-D I have no idea how I would start to make that pepperoni bread, but that is something I am interested in trying to do for market. 

I ordered a pepperoni bread and two pizza dough balls for tomorrow morning.

Norma