Author Topic: Muffaletta Boli  (Read 5292 times)

Offline Chaze215

Muffaletta Boli
« on: June 30, 2012, 10:49:32 PM »
This is a new "sandwich boli" that I made today which was inspired by a New Orleans favorite. The Muffaletta is ham, salami, provolone, mozzarella & olive tapenade. It was very good! Thanks for looking!

Chaz
Chaz

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Muffaletta Boli
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 11:14:53 PM »
Chaz,

Your Muffaletta Boli looks very good!  :) What kind of dough formula did you use?  I have been wanting to try something like you did with just pepperoni or sausage.  You crust looks just right.  ;)

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 01:27:40 PM »
Norma: I have done all sorts of these strombolis with different fillings: pepperoni/mozz, sausage/provolone, spinach/goat cheese and they are all dangerously good! This was the 1st time I did an overnight ferment in the fridge. I have the weight calculations somewhere, but I know the volume calculations off the top of my head. Here is what I used this time: 4 cups BF, 1 1/2 cups water, 2 tsp salt, 2 tablespoons olive oil and 1 teaspoon ADY. It was in the fridge overnight and I took it out about 2 hours prior to using and set it on the counter. I portioned the dough into 4 balls approximately 8oz each. Rolled them out and stuffed them with whatever you heart desires! Have fun and let me know if you make any.
Chaz
The one pictured below is a reuben boli I made last week. Soooo good!
Chaz

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 03:06:45 PM »
Norma: I have done all sorts of these strombolis with different fillings: pepperoni/mozz, sausage/provolone, spinach/goat cheese and they are all dangerously good! This was the 1st time I did an overnight ferment in the fridge. I have the weight calculations somewhere, but I know the volume calculations off the top of my head. Here is what I used this time: 4 cups BF, 1 1/2 cups water, 2 tsp salt, 2 tablespoons olive oil and 1 teaspoon ADY. It was in the fridge overnight and I took it out about 2 hours prior to using and set it on the counter. I portioned the dough into 4 balls approximately 8oz each. Rolled them out and stuffed them with whatever you heart desires! Have fun and let me know if you make any.
Chaz
The one pictured below is a reuben boli I made last week. Soooo good!

Chaz,

Thanks for posting your recipe.  I will try your recipe.  The Reuben boli looks delicious too!  :) Do you use an egg wash before the bake?

Norma

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 04:21:25 PM »
No I dont use any egg wash. I do preheat the oven to 500 to heat up the stone and then turn it down to 425 and bake for about 30-35 minutes.
Enjoy!

Chaz
Chaz

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 07:48:58 PM »
No I dont use any egg wash. I do preheat the oven to 500 to heat up the stone and then turn it down to 425 and bake for about 30-35 minutes.
Enjoy!

Chaz

Chaz,

Thanks again for telling how you bake.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 11:14:27 AM »
Chaz,

I use your recipe to make boli dough and mixed yesterday.  The boli dough was cold bulk fermented after the mix.  I am going to divide and ball today and use the dough balls tomorrow.

Picture of the dough this morning.

Norma

Offline Moondance

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 03:01:01 PM »
Those look so good!  Do you seal them up like you would a calzone?  I just tried my first calzone this weekend. 
Regina

"Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul."
John Muir

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 06:26:44 PM »
Norma: Thats lookin good! What do you plan on stuffing them with?
Moon: I dont seal them like a calzone. I roll them up making sure the seam is down when baking.
Chaz

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 07:25:27 PM »
Hey Chaze,
  do you have a quick DIY tampenade recipe?  I'm dying for some of that NoLa. taste.  The boli looks great, I'm hoping Norma can replicate!
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 07:51:37 PM »
Hey Chaze,
  do you have a quick DIY tampenade recipe?  I'm dying for some of that NoLa. taste.  The boli looks great, I'm hoping Norma can replicate!

pizza: I have never made tapenade from scratch. I bought some tapenade that Cat Cora puts out in Shoprite which is very good.
Chaz

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2012, 10:04:33 PM »

Norma: Thats lookin good! What do you plan on stuffing them with?

Chaz,

Thanks!  I balled into four dough balls today at market and did take a picture, but didn't have time to load the picture on to my computer.  I have no idea of what I might stuff them with.  Will think about it tomorrow.

Norma

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2012, 10:27:29 PM »
Norma: Do you work at a market and sell your breads etc?
Chaz

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2012, 10:42:05 PM »
Norma: Do you work at a market and sell your breads etc?

Chaz,

I own a very small pizza stand at Rootís Market. http://www.rootsmarket.com/   This is my small pizza stand.   http://www.rootsmarket.com/standholders-detail.asp?Image=59

Norma

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2012, 11:05:36 AM »
Norma Knepp
At Root's Since 1928

Wow, Norma! I didn't know you were at the market since 1928 ;) you look marvelous for your age :-D
Nick Gore - just a dough eyed wanderer

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2012, 05:28:15 PM »
Chaz,

I own a very small pizza stand at Rootís Market. http://www.rootsmarket.com/   This is my small pizza stand.   http://www.rootsmarket.com/standholders-detail.asp?Image=59

Norma

That looks like a neat little set up you have there. How is business there? Let me know if you sell any Muffaletta Bolis...lol
Chaz

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2012, 10:41:46 PM »
That looks like a neat little set up you have there. How is business there? Let me know if you sell any Muffaletta Bolis...lol

Chaz,

Thanks for saying that is a neat little set-up at market.  It took me awhile to try and get all that stuff into that little space.  :-D Business is okay, but I only do it one day a week.  I am older so it really doesnít matter to me only making pizzas one day a week.  There are also other days to prepare the dough and clean. 

I will let you know if I decide to sell any of the bolis from your recipe.  :)

Norma

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2012, 05:05:21 AM »
Norma,
  I bet this place would know how to make a muffaletta!  http://www.lostcajunkitchen.com/index.html
Sounds interesting - if I get the chance, I'd like to go there.  It's owned by chef Paul Prudhomme's niece and nephew.
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

scott123

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2012, 05:47:07 AM »
http://www.lostcajunkitchen.com/index.html

With the name 'Prudhome' attached, I doubt this place is inexpensive, but, right now, I would KILL for some good, inexpensive gumbo or jambalaya. OOOO WEE!

Yesterday, I checked the price for okra at my Indian grocer- $1.79/lb. which is pretty good.  Unfortunately, I don't make gumbo without andouille and the andouille here is either crap or heinously expensive, or both, and that's if I can find it at all.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2012, 11:11:40 AM »
Norma,
  I bet this place would know how to make a muffaletta!  http://www.lostcajunkitchen.com/index.html
Sounds interesting - if I get the chance, I'd like to go there.  It's owned by chef Paul Prudhomme's niece and nephew.

Brian,

The link you gave me sure looks interesting, but I never tried that place and even heard of it.  I probably drove by many times and just never saw it.  I really donít go out that much to eat.  I might try it sometime though.  The food looks delicious!  ;D

Norma

pizzapan