Author Topic: Conagra Mills Harvest Bread Flour sold at Costco  (Read 3619 times)

Offline Chaze215

Conagra Mills Harvest Bread Flour sold at Costco
« on: July 01, 2012, 10:53:51 PM »
I saw today that Costco sells a 50# bag for $16 (I think). So I have been doing some research online and have noticed that a lot of people do not like it at all because it does not have a high % of protein. It is very tempting at .32/#. Does anyone have any experience with this flour or can offer some feedback? Thanks in advance!

Chaz
Chaz

Offline scott123

Re: Conagra Mills Harvest Bread Flour sold at Costco
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 12:17:57 AM »
Chaz, Harvest Bread's inferiority has less to do with the protein % and more to do with the fact that it's unbromated.  If you're in NJ, you should be able to find real bromated pizza flour. About where on the shore are you located?

Offline randyjohnsonhve

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 12:18:27 AM »

The protein content is 11.7%...I use it all the time, have for about 5 years...It is bromated, but I like what it produces...

RJelli :chef:
"Pizza Evolves...Our Best Pizza Ever is Not Today." It is 'what' is right, not 'who' is right that matters.

Offline randyjohnsonhve

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 12:24:07 AM »

I stand corrected, it is enriched, not bromated....However, I do like what it does...

RJelli :chef:
"Pizza Evolves...Our Best Pizza Ever is Not Today." It is 'what' is right, not 'who' is right that matters.

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 06:43:05 AM »
Chaz, Harvest Bread's inferiority has less to do with the protein % and more to do with the fact that it's unbromated.  If you're in NJ, you should be able to find real bromated pizza flour. About where on the shore are you located?
Scott: I am in Toms River. What effect does bromated vs unbromated have on the final product?
Chaz

Offline scott123

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 07:53:42 AM »
Chaz, bromate provides better volume.  The end result is puffier. Almost every NY/NJ area pizzeria uses bromated flour.

Do you ever find yourself traveling North?  Edison has a distributor that sells real pizzeria flour.

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 07:54:29 AM »
I often buy a flour from ConAgra called occident flour, which is a "soft" bread flour at 12.4% protein. I love the stuff for pizza or breads, but it is bromated.

Offline Bob1

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 10:56:53 AM »
Savona-Stavola is in thorofare NJ not to far from the Walt Whitman.  It's a bit of a hike from Tom's river but if you re ever in the area they carry a selection of flours including All Trumps bromated.  It is cash and carry by the case or 50# bag.  They also carry Caputo 00 Pizza.

http://www.savonastavola.com/

Bob

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 06:57:43 PM »
Scott: Thanks for the info. I do head up to Edison when I take the train into NYC. Do you know the name of the distributor up there?
dm: Where do you buy that bromated ConAgra flour?

Thanks again!
Chaz

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 07:55:51 PM »
Chaze215

Believe it or not, I buy it in a little country store up in northern NY state, not far from the Canadian boarder. It comes from a supplier in Pennsylvania, @Norma also can get it in PA at a very similar store. It's repackaged from 50# sacks, comes in a clear plastic bag with a twist tie closure. I can't remember the name of the supplier in PA, but if the right person sees this, they will know.

Offline dmcavanagh

Offline scott123

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2012, 12:25:05 AM »
Scott: Thanks for the info. I do head up to Edison when I take the train into NYC. Do you know the name of the distributor up there?

Dawn Foods
30 Corporation Row Edison, NJ 08817‎
(732) 287-1111

Place your order, by phone, at least 90 minutes before you go.  This is a massive warehouse in a very industrial area. Make sure you're clear about the directions because it's easy to get lost. When you get there, you'll go to the office at the end of the road and give them your name.  The person will take your money, give you a receipt and you'll go up a few doors to a ramp where someone will eventually appear. Be prepared to wait a bit.  I waited for a half hour.

They've got one of the largest selection of flours that I've seen in all of NJ.  We haven't talked too much about what style of pizza you prefer, but if you're looking to make NY style at home, you can't do any better than Spring King bleached/bromated, imo.

One thing to bear in mind, pretty much all the flour is in 50# bags.  It will be around $18 for a 50# bag. Even if you only use half the bag and throw the rest out/give it away, you're still spending less than supermarket bread flour- and the product is just night and day superior.

As far as storing the flour goes, I've asked for covered plastic buckets at the bakery in my local supermarket (Shoprite) twice now and both times they had a large air tight covered bucket (4.25 gallon) waiting to be recycled. Offer to wash it out yourself. With some jiggling to get the flour settled, I can squeeze a 50# bag into two 4.25 gallon covered buckets.

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2012, 07:43:40 AM »
Wow, that's a great price. I just bought another forum member a 25# bag of flour for $13.50. What I have done with 50 lb. bags is break it down into manageble sized containers, I like those plastic "shoebox" size that you can buy in any department store, and I will also fill gallon size ziploc bags. The bags can go into an extra refridgerator if need be, the cold will keep the flour fresh. You can go through 50 lbs. pretty quick if you make a lot of pizza and some bread now and then.

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2012, 05:26:20 PM »
Thanks for the info scott! That is a great price and I will have to swing by there my next trip into NYC!

Chaz
Chaz