Author Topic: ALFA Pizza Oven and Other Lower Budget WFOs  (Read 21669 times)

Offline oliverks

Re: ALFA Pizza Oven and Other Lower Budget WFOs
« Reply #80 on: August 25, 2012, 11:15:46 PM »
I got to try the Alfa Minuti 5 today.  The unit we were using was a prototype  that had many hours of use.  The first thing to note is even though it has traveled all around the state, (and been dropped once) it was still in good shape.  

The oven lighted easily and got going quickly.  I would say 5 minutes is a stretch but it was certainly usable in 20 minutes.  

We were not trying to make Neapolitan pizza, but rather cook a mix of stuff to see how it worked.  We did do some pizza, but using a thicker wetter dough than classic Neapolitan.  So bear that in mind.  My previous experience has been using Mugnaini ovens.  You can google them if you don't know them.

The first image below shows the oven floor with the fire pushed over to one side during the warm up.  This was about 30 minutes in.  We already had been cooking mushrooms and veggies in the oven.  Most of the floor is already over 270C with some cooler spots still down at 240C.

The next image show the oven floor after about a 1 hour cool down, with the door open.  We started the cool down from about 270C (500F) floor temp.  Out side temperature was about 30C (86F).  The average temp has fallen to about 180C (360F).  So we are losing about 5C per minute from the oven floor.

The last picture shows the outside of the oven.  Now we had been using this for several hours at this stage so it is hot at around 90C or 195F.  I was finding roof temperatures to be about 50C higher than the floor.  This seemed to be a bit more consistent than Mugnaini ovens where I find the roof temps can change quite a bit quicker than the floor temps.

Overall I was impressed with the results from the oven.  If you wanted to make Neapolitan pizzas, I think you would need to keep moving the fire, bouncing it left and right, between pizzas as I think it is going to be hard to maintain floor temperature with a 5C cool down per minute.  However the amount of fuel in the oven is much less than a conventional oven, so it is not as hard as it sounds.

For other pizzas that like 600-700 degrees, roasts, veggies, and breads this oven will work right out the box.  After due consideration, I have decided to purchase one.

Oliver

« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 12:19:47 AM by oliverks »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #81 on: August 25, 2012, 11:23:26 PM »
Where are the pizza pics gentlemen?
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline scott123

« Reply #82 on: August 26, 2012, 12:19:29 AM »
Oliver, I think your camera's broken. Either that or it's on acid  :-D

Seriously, though, I would kill for one of those cameras. Forget the oven, I'll take the camera  ;D

Offline oliverks

« Reply #83 on: August 26, 2012, 12:35:44 AM »
@ Chicago Bob

I know this might seem retarded, but I forgot my "normal" camera.  However the distributor took a couple snaps.  I will see if he could send me one.

Oliver

Offline oliverks

« Reply #84 on: August 26, 2012, 12:38:06 AM »
@ scott123

I think you are now legally allowed to own these cameras.  I would recommend getting a Fluke Ti25 for your oven.  This will go up to over 700F.

Oliver

Offline scott123

« Reply #85 on: August 26, 2012, 01:06:52 AM »
Oliver, I may be legally allowed to own this camera, but am I legally allowed to steal the money to be able to afford one?  ;D

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #86 on: August 26, 2012, 10:29:08 AM »
No kidding, $5,500 for a used one?  :-\
http://www.nextag.com/fluke-ti25/stores-html
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #87 on: August 26, 2012, 12:30:27 PM »
Oliver, I may be legally allowed to own this camera, but am I legally allowed to steal the money to be able to afford one?  ;D
:-D

Offline GeeKacky

« Reply #88 on: December 22, 2012, 04:40:39 PM »
Re; Alfa Forno 5 Minuti Oven--I have been looking for a nice WFO for quite a while but have space limitations.  I was very happy to find this oven as the size and design seemed very nice (only 190 lbs.)  I have been reading Pizzamaking.com for a couple years now and even though the initial reviews on this web site weren't great, after reviewing the Manufacturer's videos it appears they aren't really making great dough and don't fire the oven to get hot enough so their pizzas have no char and don't really look that good!  Well I pulled the trigger ( Thank You Costco on Cyber Monday) and have made about 8 pizza's so far.  My main concern is that the oven wouldn't get hot enough.  Last night we hit 950 degrees on the fire up...heat is no problem!  Keeping it stable at 800 for enough time to make 5 pizzas one at a time is a little more difficult-but I feel I will get better with practice as I learn the oven.  (The oven can accommodate 2 pizzas but I don't have the expertise to deal with 2 at a time just yet.).  Oven floor averaged about 825 degrees.  I have posted 1 photo in the gallery thus far.  Bottom line is at this point I am thrilled the oven gets to temp (45 minutes kids-not 5 minuti) and am extremely happy with it thus far. Neapolitan pizza's are my quest. This oven makes them in 1-2 minutes.
mi venuto, ho visto, ho mangiato!
(I came, I saw...I ate!)

Offline PN.pizza

« Reply #89 on: February 04, 2013, 08:35:15 PM »

I'm curious to hear more trials and tribulations on the Alfa.  I've been following this thread in addition to the thread on the Millar.  I'm looking at the Fontana Forni which seems to be price wise in the middle between the Alfa and the Millar.  For those who purchased the Alfa, would you do it again?

Thanks, 
 -Paul

Offline GeeKacky

« Reply #90 on: February 04, 2013, 09:15:12 PM »
Looks like the Fortana has a new model "The Margharita" which looks just about the same as the Alpha Forno 5 Minuti!  The video that they show (just like Alpha's videos ) once again show low level temps for cooking (550 or so) and not a very good looking dough -but their fire is VERY small!    At this time, I can get the Alpha Forno 5 Minuti VERY hot ---but the trick is to keep it there while I make 4-6 pizzas!   I have signed up for formal VPN training  next month hoping to learn a little more about oven management.  If I even learn 20% of what I've learned here at Pizzamaking.com from all of my fellow pizzaioli, I will be extremely satisfied!
(I came, I saw...I ate!)

Offline PN.pizza

« Reply #91 on: February 05, 2013, 08:10:51 AM »
Looks like the Fortana has a new model "The Margharita" which looks just about the same as the Alpha Forno 5 Minuti!  The video that they show (just like Alpha's videos ) once again show low level temps for cooking (550 or so) and not a very good looking dough -but their fire is VERY small!    At this time, I can get the Alpha Forno 5 Minuti VERY hot ---but the trick is to keep it there while I make 4-6 pizzas!   I have signed up for formal VPN training  next month hoping to learn a little more about oven management.  If I even learn 20% of what I've learned here at Pizzamaking.com from all of my fellow pizzaioli, I will be extremely satisfied!

What tricks have you learned?  Based on what I've read so far, my plan is to start the fire in the center to heat the tiles and then move it to one side.  Do you find it necessary to bounce the fire back and forth?

I'm looking at the 'The Mangiafucco' oven which is 8" wider - closer to the 10 Minuti, maybe?

Offline GeeKacky

« Reply #92 on: March 22, 2014, 05:54:24 PM »
I can maintain the temp between 800-900 degrees by adding a small pice of wood to the fire after I remove each pizza and also putting the door back partially on while I prepare the next pizza.  Once the wood flames again I am back to temp and put in the next pie.

It's been 1 year with this oven now and it makes GREAT NP pizza's......the key is using the correct sized pieces of wood and adding fuel to the fire throughout a multiple pizza making process.

Pizza making skills come from many areas...I took a 3 day class at AVPN which really helped me get NP down!
(I came, I saw...I ate!)

Offline Gosseni

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #93 on: March 27, 2014, 02:43:45 AM »
I have a new Alfa Forno 4 that I am especially fired up about. I can get interior to over 850 degrees and brick temp to 780 in 90 minutes. Cook a neo in 135 seconds. I was amazed at insulation. Took a very small amount of fuel to sustain temp. Took two days to completely cool down. Still an experimental mode. Looking forward to getting the oven dialed in. Stay tuned.

Offline Gosseni

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #94 on: March 27, 2014, 02:44:07 AM »
I have a new Alfa Forno 4 that I am especially fired up about. I can get interior to over 850 degrees and brick temp to 780 in 90 minutes. Cook a neo in 135 seconds. I was amazed at insulation. Took a very small amount of fuel to sustain temp. Took two days to completely cool down. Still an experimental mode. Looking forward to getting the oven dialed in. Stay tuned.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #95 on: March 29, 2014, 01:45:10 AM »
How does one "un notify" one from a thread?
Please get me outta here man.
Thank you.

CB

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #96 on: March 29, 2014, 07:34:44 AM »
Bob,

If I understand what you want to do, there should be an Unnotify button at the top of this thread.

Peter

Offline Gosseni

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #97 on: March 30, 2014, 03:40:59 PM »
What is the problem now CB?

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #98 on: March 31, 2014, 12:26:12 AM »
What is the problem now CB?
I apologize Gosseni....my girlfriend was getting on my nerves the other night. Plus, my older sister is (finally)wrapping up her 3 week long visit here from Houston TX. I love my girls...don't get me wrong. However....you know what I mean I hope.   8)
I certainly wasn't directing bad vibes from anything you said/posted. Your pizzamaking skills are valued, no doubt about that and...well, like I said...I'm sorry man.

Bob

Offline Gosseni

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #99 on: March 31, 2014, 12:39:56 PM »
Yep. Just messing around.
No worries.

pizzapan