Author Topic: After an overnight ferment in the fridge, how long before you shape the dough?  (Read 1019 times)

Offline Chaze215

I have read many different opinions and was just curious what the concensus is here. How long does it usually take before the dough doesnt fight against you and able to stretch it out without tearing etc...? Thanks in advance!

Chaz
Chaz

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
Chaz.  Most but not all people put the dough in balls to rest in the fridge.  Most people let the balls warm up out of the fridge for an hour or two.

But, without knowing more it is really a crap shoot.  For example, a barely kneaded dough would need more time for the gluten to develope with stretch and folds. An over kneaded dough, maybe needs more time to relax in bulk, with tiny yeast.

If you want to cut the chase, post the recipe.  That is the only way, really.  How do you measure, by weight or volume.  Type of flour?  Hand knead, machine knead?  Spill your guts or else.  Just kiddin'  Just looking to help.  Let us know. :chef: :pizza:
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
I have read many different opinions and was just curious what the concensus is here.

Chaz
Well.if you "read many different opinions" here on this site then you know there isn't really a consensus.   ;)   But I think you can see that most (many) folks seem to like to let the dough balls sit out for 1-2 hrs. at room temp. Remember, it's also gonna depend on your recipe, environment, etc.. You'll be your best judge after a few tries.....good luck!

Ooops! just noticed I'm not sure what you meant by "shaping"....I'm talking here about when to open the ball.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 09:11:54 PM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Chaze215

The general concensus I was talking about wasnt here...it was elsewhere online. So I was looking to see what you guys thought. So it looks like 1-2 hours is the way to go about it.
Thanks again!
Chaz
Chaz

pizzapan