Author Topic: Introducing Mighty Pizza Oven  (Read 15383 times)

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Introducing Mighty Pizza Oven
« Reply #100 on: July 25, 2012, 10:33:18 AM »
 In another thread, there was some discussion of making a very small hole size increase.  Probably only discussed because the regulator in that case allowed it.
On that primer I put up they discuss opening up holes that were furthest away from venturi and not lighting due to weak/too low pressure regulator.Enlarging the hole brought out a flame... ;)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline juniorballoon

• Supporting Member
    • Sirfoodalot
« Reply #101 on: July 25, 2012, 10:36:54 AM »
You have mentioned having to rotate the pizza as it cooks. Do you have to open the MPO to do this? If you can figure out a way to do this without opening you could certainly save some heat loss.

jb

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #102 on: July 25, 2012, 10:51:24 AM »
You have mentioned having to rotate the pizza as it cooks. Do you have to open the MPO to do this? If you can figure out a way to do this without opening you could certainly save some heat loss.

jb

Yes,  I have to open the MPO to rotate, my thoughts, it take less than 10 to 20 seconds to do that, any heat lost is being replaced very quickly, plus even when MPO is lifted, MPO still being heated by the rising heat.

I am working on an ajustable pizza rotating device, which will allow you to rotate stone while baking. I posted a picture of in previous posts.
Bert,

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #103 on: July 25, 2012, 10:56:44 AM »
Yes,  I have to open the MPO to rotate, my thoughts, it take less than 10 to 20 seconds to do that,
That is about one quarter of your NP cooking time...

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #104 on: July 25, 2012, 11:11:38 AM »
That is about one quarter of your NP cooking time...

For NP, I have to have a pizza stone turnning device to avoid ,lifting MPO during NP baking and to get even temperature across bottom stone.  I am waiting on my second protoptype to manufactured. This device not required for baking  within 3 to 4 minutes.
Bert,

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #105 on: July 25, 2012, 11:23:08 AM »
Bert, Don't you think it would be wise/beneficial to get your current oven really dialed in to consistent, pie after pie, 3-4 minute bakes and then see if you can get more out of something you have good control/knowledge of? It seems like you are spinning your wheels trying to put the cart before the horse...

The grill is very attractive and there are plenty of people with higher end grill/outdoor kitchen setups that would be very impressed to see some killer 3-4 min. pies coming out of their rigs...jus another thought.

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #106 on: July 25, 2012, 01:50:02 PM »
Don't you think it would be wise/beneficial to get your current oven really dialed in to consistent, pie after pie, 3-4 minute bakes and then see if you can get more out of something you have good control/knowledge of?

Yes, but I am still concerns, with Scott comment. "This is a 2stone + additional features"
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2012, 06:59:13 PM »

I am not sure what the other device is capable of, I wasn’t able to find anything online to describe it’s performance in heating time,  baking time and heating source rating. So, I don't know if MPO cooks faster, heat faster, just based on the design, I think It does.

I believe my design is unique; otherwise I would have not filed for a patent.

I guess, I am trying to get MPO to do something that the other device is not capable of without any doubts.
Bert,

Offline juniorballoon

• Supporting Member
    • Sirfoodalot
« Reply #107 on: July 25, 2012, 02:34:05 PM »
I really like this idea, but after searching on google, finding and reading this thread here http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=5541.20 , which I'm sure you've also seen, the 2stone seems to be very similar to the MPO. It has a turntable stone, gets to about 700 degrees and seems to cook a nice pizza. My biggest problem is the price. $334 for the 15 1/2 inch version. Too much for me by about half. At $175, I'd be ordering one today.

jb

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #108 on: July 25, 2012, 02:39:39 PM »
Yes, but I am still concerns, with Scott comment. "This is a 2stone + additional features"
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2012, 06:59:13 PM »

I am not sure what the other device is capable of, I wasn’t able to find anything online to describe it’s performance in heating time,  baking time and heating source rating. So, I don't know if MPO cooks faster, heat faster, just based on the design, I think It does.

[color=red]I guess, I am trying to get MPO to do something that the other device is not capable of without any doubts.

O.K. yes, we understand that Bert and that is great.    Now....if you can FIRST achieve at least what the other device does.....THEN it would be easier for you to know what is needed to accomplish NP.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #110 on: July 25, 2012, 03:51:24 PM »
After reading that forum, based on the results I had with MPO, I am positive that MPO can do as good job 2stone grill does, no longer sure if it perform better... I have been using MPO since march... I had different homemade versions of MPO.... Results are greats...

I think I mentioned this before, in my patent, I have two designs to move the upper stone up and down, one uses railing (current prototype) and the other one uses screw gear. I decided to go with railing due to its simplicity for manufacturing and cost. The other design requires more custom tooling which cost more and requires larger minimum order but offer adjustment of top stone as you bake. I don't think anyone would question that design uniqueness. That would be the next model If I ever had success launching 1st version of MPO.

JB, cost wise, it will be difficult to reach your price range ... due to material and fabrication cost
Bert,

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #111 on: July 25, 2012, 05:20:11 PM »
The other design requires more custom tooling which cost more and requires larger minimum order but offer adjustment of top stone as you bake. I don't think anyone would question that design uniqueness.
Just because it is unique does not make it useful.On a sub 2 min. NP bake I doubt anyone will want to play with a crank handle while peel turning and concentrating on the pie.

Offline Kamado Pizza

« Reply #112 on: July 25, 2012, 05:51:13 PM »
You need to find a friend with a green egg or Kamado, and try this bad boy on one of those.  Huge market for that I'd bet.

What about putting it on top of a turkey burner?

I use a Kamado for pizza.  I use a lava stone suspended on a bracket just above the fire bowl.  Then I place a pizza stone on the lowest cooking grate.  There are a few inches all the way around the lava stone and the pizza stone which allows hot air up into the dome of the Kamado which heats the topside of the pie.  It takes less than 5-minutes to make a beautiful pizza.

I don't think the Mighty Pizza Oven would be of any use in a Kamado.  Mine is very thick ceramic and I don't need a device like that.  But, I can't believe there are pizza ovens out there designed for the gas grill.  Google was not my friend when searching or I may have bought one instead of a Kamado and saved myself $800.  On that subject, the price will be important.  There are large sized Kamados out there right now starting at $600.  There are even double wall steel Kamados out there for $300.  These things can easily reach 600F and you get that wood-fired taste.  Kamados burn real lump charcoal, not briquettes.  You can also toss in chunks of the the wood of your choice.  Also, as Alton Brown would say, a Kamado is not a uni-tasker.  But...I love your idea and would have definitely considered buying one.

Love this site!

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #113 on: July 25, 2012, 06:02:46 PM »
Bob,

The screw type design allow you to bring top stone to touch grill grates  during heating and move it up to your desire level , top stone heating will be much faster and  can achieve higher temperature, also it allow top stone to be very close to the food , pizza or bread etc...  My current design you have to set the height before you start heating, once it is hot, you can't change it till it cool down, plus you have limited level setting.  NP would been easier to achieve with the screw gear design . It is definitely harder to manufacture.
Bert,

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #114 on: July 25, 2012, 07:16:15 PM »
 Size, materials, design all play a role in how much heat you are going to get so don't buy a grill simply because it has a high BTU rating. Compare that number to the square inches of primary grilling area to get an idea of how well this grill might heat. As a very general rule of thumb I like to see about 100 BTUs for each square inch, or at least somewhere in that range. For example a grill with 500 square inches and 50,000 BTUs from the main burners probably produces a good amount of heat. If the BTUs where 40,000 under 500 square inches it might not produce enough heat.
Remember that the BTU rating for a grill is the total amount of heat output by all the burners per hour. This is typically measured not by the actual heat output of a grill but by the fuel consumption of the burners. Since propane has a BTU rating of 15,000 BTUs per pound a 30,000 BTU grill would consume 2 pounds per hour. The higher the BTUs the more frequently you will be getting your tank filled.

Gas grill manufacturers are aware that people tend to look at the BTU rating as a sign of power. They can advertise high numbers for a grill that just doesn't get hot and most large grills make a big deal of their BTU number. Manufacturers also try to make sure that their grill can reach a decent temperature. Of course they all have different opinions as to what that temperature should be.

Tthe BTU measurement is related to the size of the burner. Gas grills can range from 5,000 to 200,000 BTU’s, and most 2-burner grills do not exceed 40,000 BTU’s

info taken from Keidel website.

I just don't see how an average American family grill is ever going to give you enough unmodded heat for a NP bake...no matter what you do to the MPO.
I find it quite curious your asking many basic questions. Questions that one would assuse you would already know the answers to given your highacclaims for what the MPO is capable of producing. I don't know Bert...
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 07:31:23 PM by Chicago Bob »

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #115 on: July 25, 2012, 07:34:42 PM »
Thanks Kamado,MPO is not every type of grill, and it will never bake as good as Wfo. But, It is a viable alternative for people like myself, who wants to bake a quality pizza but don't want to invest too much into an oven, don't have space for Wfo, low maintenance, easy to operate, another alternative to pizzakettle, 2stone grill, or DIY

I have have been experimenting with different designs for my own use, this one made most sense for my needs.
Bert,

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #116 on: July 25, 2012, 07:56:20 PM »
Now you're talk'in Bert... ;)

And I wouldn't be too concerned about that $175 price jb mentioned. No way can anyone get that much stainless at that price...it is a very handsome unit.

Offline Kamado Pizza

« Reply #117 on: July 25, 2012, 08:37:12 PM »
I need to bring bottom stone temperature down... I think I can do it cheaply by placing and 13" aluminum disk under stone. I used to use these aluminum disks to prevent ceramic disk from breaking... The smallest disk I have is 14" Need to get a 13" one.

Again, this was a quick test.... Hopefully, one of the well know forum members will be willing to witness next test and help take more readings and documents MPO results...

Cooking over lump charcoal requires a diffuser.  I use a 3/4" thick lava stone diffuser and then a few inches above that is the pizza stone in a kamado.  I tried to post photos using photobucket as I have at other forums, but, for some reason, I get messages telling me the files are too big.

Sorry, I already said the piece about the lava stone diffuser.  Dang.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 08:42:27 PM by Kamado Pizza »

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #118 on: July 25, 2012, 08:48:20 PM »
Bob,

I just don't see how an average American family grill is ever going to give you enough unmodded heat for a NP bake...no matter what you do to the MPO.

I am not claiming it can, I am still experimenting, I have not exhausted all my ideas, so I am still hopeful. May be a lost cause, but I like the challenged.

I find it quite curious your asking many basic questions. Questions that one would assuse you would already know the answers to given your highclaims for what the MPO is capable of producing. I don't know Bert...

I am not sure what which question you are referring to. Believe it or not I don't know everything. Some areas I am stronger at than other. Again, I only claimed what MPO is capable of based on my experience. 
Bert,

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #119 on: July 25, 2012, 08:56:31 PM »
And I wouldn't be too concerned about that $175 price jb mentioned. No way can anyone get that much stainless at that price...it is a very handsome unit.

I was referring to 2stone also, not cheap to produce.. unless you are producing high volume.
Bert,