Author Topic: Introducing Mighty Pizza Oven  (Read 16217 times)

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
Introducing Mighty Pizza Oven
« on: July 06, 2012, 12:22:27 PM »
I like to get feedback on a pizza oven insert for outdoor grills that I just filled a patent for. I have been using a prototype for the past few month. I was able to get 600 deg f in the oven using my gas grill. I have not tested my pizza oven insert using charcoal, I planning to do that in few weeks currently on vacation this week and next week. I am just going to post some pictures, to show how it works. I am working on a facebook page to post more pictures and updates.

Bert
Bert,

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: Introducing Mighty Pizza Oven
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 12:37:19 PM »
I'm not a patent expert, but I think there is quite a bit of prior art. What makes this unique?

Offline italdream

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 12:48:10 PM »
Same here: not a patent expert but I am struggling to see the inventive step and non-obviousness of your invention. Is it a utility patent or a design patent?

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 01:27:31 PM »
My writing is not perfect, I will do my best.

The oven contains two cordierite cooking stones or similar material:

The round bottom stone is placed on the grill grates under the Mighty Pizza Oven.

The square top stone slides inside the Mighty Pizza Oven though a removable back cover and sits above the round stone,
You can adjust the height of the stone. For this prototype I used a pair of rails which allows 2 level setting. More rails can be added for additional level setting. Another option included in my patent application is to use a gear mechanism to move the upper stone up and down.

The heat required to bake is maximized by limiting number of opening.  Even when the oven is tilted up, to place or remove the pizza the heat inside the oven is quickly recovered.

Regardless at what level the upper stone is located , the hot air flow is controlled through the chimney opening, which aid in the baking process.

Bert,

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 01:37:33 PM »
It is a utility patent. and more photos
Bert,

scott123

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 02:01:49 PM »
I can't tell, does the top have anything other than the vent and the temperature gauge?

scott123

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 02:07:13 PM »
Also, from what I can tell, this is extremely similar to a 2stone (bold mine):

http://www.2stonepg.com/2stone-pizza-gril.html

Great pizza is baked with high heat and hot air flow. With the "2stone pizza grill" (patent pending) you get both, along with a rotating 13-5/8" Fibrament stone to ensure even baking. The 2stone pizza grill feature a dual stone chamber where the pizza is baked between two stones spaced 3" apart.

The only difference that I can see is that your ceiling is lifted, while they have an opening in the front for the pizza.  If they do have a patent on the 2stone, I'm not sure your design is unique enough.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 02:11:54 PM by scott123 »

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 02:21:27 PM »
Your missing alot of heat by not covering the grill in the areas not occupied by the insert.  Maybe another 100 degrees.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 02:22:38 PM »
Do you cook with the grill lid up or down ?

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, 02:35:24 PM »
Scott, your design did come up when doing patent search.

In addition to the chimney, what is different in my design than 2stone-pizza-grill the top stone height is adjustable, which provides an adjustable cooking chamber. Plus The front opening is not used to draw air, the air is heated as it flows from the bottom of the grill over the round stone and exit trough the chimney. A chimney cover is used to control the hot air flow.

Basically, My design allow users to control the heat intensity by adjusting the upper stone height and controlling hot air flow.
Bert,

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2012, 02:47:45 PM »
Jet_deck,

I place my pizza oven on the grill and preheat the top stone for 10 to 15 minutes with all the burners on high.

Than I place the bottom stone under the Mighty Pizza Oven, directly on the grill grates and preheat for another 10 to 15 minutes. With my grill heat, my Pizza Oven reaches well over 500 deg F.

Gas grill cover is left open, but during windy days, i did close it. I didn't experiment covering  the grill great in the areas not occupied by the insert. I don't seed the need for more heat.

pizza will take between 3 to 5 minutes maximum to cook, depending on the pizza thickness and number of ingredient I used.

I do need to rotate the pizza while cooking to obtain even browning all around you pizza rim and to prevent over cooking one side.  

In my patent application I included a device that allows turning the pizza stone through the front window. The device is adjustable, it can be used with 8” to 16” round stone.  I should have the prototype by the time I return from vacation. But this not really required, it just gives the user more convenience and prevent heat loss..

The added benefit of my deign, the oven is portable. Two foldable side handles to make it easy to move and store when it is not used. The bottom stone can also be stored inside the oven when it is not used.

Bert,

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2012, 03:18:00 PM »
.... I don't seed the need for more heat....

One of your prospective customers might.  It does look very nice though.

Offline italdream

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2012, 03:49:35 PM »
Actually, for a lot of customers, higher heat is what would set aside this system from a regular home oven. If it cannot provide higher heat, it probably should...

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2012, 04:28:10 PM »
Thanks… The Sure la table is measuring the oven center temperature, I know it can reach 600 deg f. the stone and the cover can handle over 1000 deg f, for my own use at a temperature between 500 and 600 my pizza cooked way faster than when used to home oven.   For me, 3 minutes vs 2 minutes it is not that critical. But you are right for others it might be.

When I started this, I had convenience and controllability in my mind. I have not had the chance to test the oven on a better grill or using coal.  Once I am back from vacation I planning to by a coal grill and tested.  I will also test the oven with covering unused grill space, this should be simple to do.

I did little improvement on the first prototype. The back of the oven was warping when it started to get hot, see attached picture. I think I fixed the problem, will see. I am waiting on my second prototype. Also, I am working on adding a spring to handle, so users may be able to tilt the oven up without using a mitten.

Also, I will be testing the oven using a smaller bottom stone to see if it will allow more heat in the oven, currently I use 14" round and 15" square pizza stones. 

I still have lots of testing to do to know the full potential of the oven.

Bert,

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2012, 04:53:46 PM »
You need to find a friend with a green egg or Kamado, and try this bad boy on one of those.  Huge market for that I'd bet.

What about putting it on top of a turkey burner?

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2012, 06:01:13 PM »
You need to find a friend with a green egg or Kamado, and try this bad boy on one of those.  Huge market for that I'd bet.

What about putting it on top of a turkey burner?

Haha- thats evil, Gene!  He's just figuring out a basic grill!  >:D

The oven setup looks workable to me, just needs some side skirts to funnel the wasted heat, and possibly a larger NY-size form factor.  I think this would appeal, as is, to the backyard grillin NY-makin wannabe chefs.  Just needs to be bigger.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 06:05:46 PM by pizzaneer »
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2012, 06:55:39 PM »
All the oven cover components are made from 304 ss. The oven can handle high temperature, but it would not recommend using the oven on anything other than a grill, no exposed flames like turkey fryer. You need to be close to the oven when loading and removing pizza. It is somthing I like to test.

The oven shape can square, rectangle or round using the same design philosophy.

I don't have any friends with green egg.  The oven temperature is depending on your grill heat source , I don't think covering the unused grill space will make that much difference on gas grill, but I will test.

Bert,

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2012, 07:02:48 PM »
And can be made in different sizes to accomodate different grill sizes, my current prototype is 17 deep x16 wide x5" high
Bert,

Offline rcbaughn

• Supporting Member
  • Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2012, 04:41:04 AM »
Instead of turning the pizza why not devise a plan on actually allowing the bottom stone to spin kind of like a lazy susan? If it had enough resistance it wouldn't spin when loading but would be easy enough to turn with a small tool. I was thinking you could have small notches on the round stone and a little poker that would fit into those notches to turn the bottom stone. I guess that this wouldn't help though if the stone itself was the source of unevenness and the pizza would actually have to change positions on the stone itself. But if the stone just needed turning to change the relation of it on the grates I can see that being a lot easier for a beginner to do than trying to spin the pizza on the stone. Just a thought though.
More is better..... and too much is just right.

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2012, 07:07:23 AM »
Using Mighty Pizza Oven is easier than it looks. but I do have such a device, I just have not tested it yet. I made it adjustable, it will works with any stone size between 8 to 16.5" Diameter. Planning to offer the pizza turning device as an accessory. see below pictures
Bert,

pizzapan