Author Topic: Introducing Mighty Pizza Oven  (Read 15798 times)

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
Re: Introducing Mighty Pizza Oven
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2012, 07:17:18 AM »
The pizza turning device can be used on other oven pizza inserts such KettlePizza. I am not sure if my pizza turning device will add any value to 2stone-pizza-grill owners...
Bert,

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2012, 07:25:14 AM »
In regards to making notches in the stone, I would have to make a custom stone, the stone sizes I am using for my first oven size are available in the market, no custom mold is required. The tools I showed in my previous post, should allow users to turn the stone easily. I will be testing it in couple of weeks.
Bert,

Offline rcbaughn

• Supporting Member
  • Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2012, 07:52:02 PM »
Haha that is awesome that you had the same idea and have already got a prototype in the works! I didn't realize you were using a readily available commercial stone so yeah, the notches would be overkill and drive production costs way higher. Do you think that the stone not touching the grates is going to affect the heat transfer? That may be a good thing since the bottom may cook more evenly with the top stones lower temp.
More is better..... and too much is just right.

Offline Tory

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2012, 09:55:33 PM »
I have never eaten pizza cooked on a grill. Does it taste different than pizzas cooked in a conventional oven?

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2012, 10:06:05 PM »
If the grill is caked with grease from cooking burgers, etc, of course.  If it's clean, not that different.  The real difference comes in the cooking temperatures that are possible in a grill.  Not saying that that has been achieved in this particular instance, but the higher temps are possible depending on configuration.
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2012, 04:08:14 PM »
Probably the pizza turning device will have minimal effect on the heat reaching the stone, the stone will be about 1/2" higher than the grill grates and the pizza turning device surfaces will block some direct heat. I tried to limit the surfaces of the turning device to a minimum. Plus, I will be adding some large holes on the pizza turning device disc to maximize direct heat reaching the stone..
Bert,

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2012, 07:03:25 PM »
Did we mention our consultancy fee?

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2012, 10:05:22 PM »
. In fact, the Mighty Pizza Oven gives you similar results to a brick oven, without any of the drawbacks.

-   The baking quality of the Mighty Pizza Oven is comparable to that of a brick oven.

-   It has the same short baking time as a brick oven but heats up much faster.

-   
If you are able to truly reach these parameters in your upcoming tests then I would be proud to be your first customer sir. I wish you success!

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2012, 07:35:36 AM »
Gene you were correct, I covered unused area of the grill with aluminum foil. The temperature in the oven did go increase by 100 Deg F.

The temperature inside the pizza oven reached 700 Deg F within 1/2 hour using my old grill. I will try to test the oven on a higher end gas grill.
The bottom stone temperature varied between 600 deg. F at front of the stone to 800 deg. F at the back of stone, which will be solved by rotating the stone using my pizza rotating device. I am planning to test the device later this week.

And, I have been looking to buy Member's Mark Gas Fired Ignition Charcoal Grill from Sam's Club to test my oven using charcoal. It is on sale for $100, pretty good deal for all the features included.

Will keep you posted.
Bert,

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2012, 09:14:38 AM »
What do you think your oven will  retail for $$?
Pizza is not bread.

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2012, 10:31:15 AM »
TXCraig1,

Based on the recommendation from the Kitchen Inventors show on the Food Network, the retail price should be 5 time the cost. Which make the unit cost extreemly high. I am still evaluating the basis of this factor, to stay competetive with existing pizza oven inserts in the market, my factor is two time the cost, which I am still evaluating if it is worth the risk, time and efforts, it all depend on the intrest level in my oven. If decided to proceed with the oven, most likely I will use kickstarter.com to generate funding for the minimum order required by the manufacturer.

Bert 
Bert,

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2012, 10:43:32 AM »
5x the cost of production is insane.  A more realistic view for direct sales would be a margin of 40-50% of cost, 20-30 to re-sellers.

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2012, 10:57:28 AM »
5x make sense for items that cost few dollars, still not sure why they refrence this factor on every episod regardless of the procution cost.
Bert,

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2012, 11:03:14 AM »
Because they are a show about dreams?

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2012, 11:14:37 AM »
my wife (the dream popper) keep in check.
Bert,

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2012, 11:22:00 AM »
My older sister an I call it "our gimmick"....we are still looking for it.... ;)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2012, 11:52:44 AM »
Its kind of interesting though, to see how much some the inventors on that show have invested into their product/ dreams... I am not that brave...
Bert,

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2012, 01:05:32 PM »
The other thing I tested last night is the chimney,

notice the temperature guage on top of the oven when the chimney is closed and when it is open. The thermometer temperature increased due to the hot air flowing by and out through the open chimney, which you really need to cook your pizza top in addition to the heat form the top stone.

Note: This thermometer does not reflect the true oven temperature due to its location
Bert,

scott123

« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2012, 06:59:13 PM »
Bert, you seem like a great guy and I'm always appreciative when equipment developers seek out this forum's advice. I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but I really don't see this going anywhere.

The overall design is incredibly sexy, but, with all that stainless, there's no way you're clocking in with a retail below 2stone.  I've made it clear, on many occasions, that the 2stone insert is a waste of money, and that, for someone with minimal DIY skills, it can be built for a fraction of the cost.  The sexy look of the MPO, the adjustable stone height, the chimney and portability are all really nice, but I don't see these features being worth the minimum of $150 difference between this device and making something similar yourself.

And then you've got licensing concerns.  I am by no means an expert in patent law, but, when a person invents something and patents it, doesn't another inventor who invents something similar have to prove the new item's uniqueness?  There's no court in the land that would ever consider this a unique invention.  This is a 2stone + additional features, and, since 2stone has applied for a patent, should you decide to manufacture this device, I don't see how you can avoid paying them a licensing fee (if they even grant you the rights).  Am I missing some aspect of the law here?

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2012, 08:42:39 PM »
Scott, good points on patent law - but you missed the possible infringement lawsuit danger.

Bert, the only way I can see all this hard work and effort bringing you some joy is to sell the concept directly to a high-end grill manufacturer, as an add-on.  Theres grills that sell for obscene amounts of money, marketed to an audience that A: doesn't have a clue how to use them, and B: just likes to be able to say, Yeah my grill can do that.

pizzapan