Author Topic: Introducing Mighty Pizza Oven  (Read 14968 times)

Offline Kamado Pizza

Re: Introducing Mighty Pizza Oven
« Reply #120 on: July 25, 2012, 09:03:21 PM »
MPO,
As a consumer, I really like your design.  I think it is much more attractive than the 2 stone that keeps getting mentioned.  In your reply made earlier to my post, you defined your market a little better.  It is for the average backyard griller who wants to make a good pizza at home.  If it can get up to the temps I've seen during my quick read of the thread, you can make pizza.  I think a diffuser above the intense charcoal heat below is all it needs to stop burning your crust.  Then, you need a one size fits all or almost all grills that can sell for less than the average backyard gas grill.  If you are able to get it manufactured, I think you can sell them online.  I think your biggest competition will not come from a small competitor like 2stone, but someone like Brinkman or Char-Broil or Weber.  Those guys can come up with their own version that does not violate any patent and sell them in big box stores. BTW, if you are selling these online, you'll have to keep an eye on the weight. 

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #121 on: July 25, 2012, 09:03:48 PM »
Cooking over lump charcoal requires a diffuser.  I use a 3/4" thick lava stone diffuser and then a few inches above that is the pizza stone in a kamado.

JB, I have more basic questions: (Bob  ;))

Do you use diffuser because you are using a ceramic pizza stone?

How much coal do you use? and how many pizza do you cook with it?

Bert,

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #122 on: July 25, 2012, 09:17:43 PM »
Bob,

I am not claiming it can, I am still experimenting, I have not exhausted all my ideas, so I am still hopeful. May be a lost cause, but I like the challenged.

I am not sure what which question you are referring to. Believe it or not I don't know everything. Some areas I am stronger at than other. Again, I only claimed what MPO is capable of based on my experience. 

Well, it really doesn't matter about the questions, Bert. As long as you are enjoying the tinkering with this thing then that is all that really matters.....I hope you succeed with your project.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #123 on: July 25, 2012, 09:22:07 PM »
I see your already responded to my question about the defuser.

As a consumer, I really like your design.  

Thanks

Then, you need a one size fits all or almost all grills that can sell for less than the average backyard gas grill.  

That's a big challenge in the beginning ...

you'll have to keep an eye on the weight.  

it is heavy, hence the two handles on the sides... I have not looked into shipping cost.

Bert,

Offline Kamado Pizza

« Reply #124 on: July 25, 2012, 09:23:50 PM »

JB, I have more basic questions: (Bob  ;))

Do you use diffuser because you are using a ceramic pizza stone?

How much coal do you use? and how many pizza do you cook with it?

You addressed JB in your question, but quoted me.  So I'll give an answer:

In a kitchen oven set to bake, the oven gets hot and then the heat source turns off.  On a charcoal grill, the heat is controlled by reducing the air flow.  But the heat source is still there.  The diffuser stone directs the heat up and around the diffuser and then to the top.  It creates convection.  In grills like weber kettles and kamados, this works well because they have domed tops.  Since I use a kamado and lump charcoal, I fill the fire bowl close to full.  Lump can get really hot and the ceramic kamado holds heat extremely well.  When the temp is about 100 away from the desired point, you have to start adjusting the lower intake and upper vents.  Grills like Webers using briquettes can be cooled down easier than a kamado.  If you exceed your temp on a kamado, it takes a looong time to reduce it.  Once I have it going at around 600F, I can bake as many pizzas as I can make.  So in a nutshell, the diffuser radiates the extreme heat below up and around.  In a wood fired oven, the fire is next to the cooking area, not under it.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #125 on: July 25, 2012, 09:24:07 PM »
Kamado, have you seen this site?   http://www.nakedwhiz.com/pizza.htm
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 09:26:02 PM by Chicago Bob »

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #126 on: July 25, 2012, 09:35:13 PM »
Well, it really doesn't matter about the questions, Bert. As long as you are enjoying the tinkering with this thing then that is all that really matters.....I hope you succeed with your project.

Thanks Bob, My profession is engineering, over the years, we became more paper pushers than actually designing stuff... So this something definitely I enjoyed designing, building and using...
Bert,

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #127 on: July 25, 2012, 09:44:15 PM »
You addressed JB in your question, but quoted me.  So I'll give an answer:

Sorry about that...

I am not familiar Kamado, how much coal it takes to fill the fire bowl close to full??
Bert,

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #128 on: August 03, 2012, 07:28:37 AM »
I found this report "2011 State of the Barbecue Industry Report " http://www.hpba.org/media/barbecue-industry/2011-state-of-the-barbecue-industry-report "

Total Gas Grills Shipments (57 percent of sales) 8,553,500
Total Charcoal Grills Shipments (41 percent of sales) 6,232,500
Total Electric Grills Shipments (2 percent of sales) 276,600

Forty percent of consumers have a large moveable grill system on a modest patio/deck, with some outdoor furniture and an informal place to eat.

Meats, including burgers (85 percent), steak (80 percent), hot dogs (79 percent), and chicken (73 percent) top the list of the most popular foods prepared using a grill followed by sausage/bratwurst (55 percent), ribs (53 percent) and pork chops (50 percent).

Will be nice to have pizza added to the list :D

Bert,

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #129 on: August 03, 2012, 07:49:55 AM »
MPO starting point would be to target gas grill consumers with a large moveable grill ... With a retail price of $375 .

I am looking at launching MPO on kickstarter at $299 not including shipping. MPO wieght about 25 LB.

What your thoughts about the launching and retail pricing?

Bert,

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #130 on: August 03, 2012, 07:59:37 AM »
For $289 I can get a 2 stone pizza grill that has a track record and is made in America.  More money for a product with no track record and that is made in china will be a tough sell for me.  Curious what others have to say.
-Jeff

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #131 on: August 03, 2012, 08:07:32 AM »
Yes price needs to come down by at least 50...$229.00 sounds even better. Find out how much it's gonna cost to ship (Fed-X account, etc.) and maybe you'll be able to recoup some of the markdown back in the form of shipping and handling. If the average grill is only $375 then you need to stay away from that $300 figure for your unit.

How much cheaper is black painted steel vs stainless? Maybe you could do the back and sides in black an the top and face in stainless. Or vise-a-versa...would still be a very attractive eyecatching product.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 08:14:07 AM by Chicago Bob »

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #132 on: August 03, 2012, 09:48:41 AM »
Having made two pies in it, I can tell you that as currently configured it is almost a 2 man operation to use.  No complaints about how it cooks, it just needs tweaking on the usability.

First, the instructions need to stress that aluminum foil should cover the areas not covered by the unit itself.  Second, I think that the top and front need to be hinged such that to insert a pizza, you are not lifting the entire unit.  The lifting handle needs to be heatproofed, ie a spring handle or something.  The chimney is not needed (a slot in the ceiling would work as well) as it interferes with the grill lid.

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #133 on: August 03, 2012, 03:29:59 PM »
Thank you Tom for your feedback.

Having made two pies in it, I can tell you that as currently configured it is almost a 2 man operation to use.

I should of wrote few instruction before passing MPO to Craig, with little practice one person should be able to do it. 

Second, I think that the top and front need to be hinged such that to insert a pizza, you are not lifting the entire unit. 

You shouldn't need to lift the entire unit, just lift  the front with one hand and load or remove the pizza with the other hand. A short video definitely would of helped... I will work on making one ... and see if it would of made things easier.

The lifting handle needs to be heatproofed, ie a spring handle or something.

I have made a spring handle sample made, I should have have it soon.

The chimney is not needed (a slot in the ceiling would work as well) as it interferes with the grill lid.

I have not been able to measure air flow out of the chimney, I tried to use an air guage once, the blades melted instantly. Just by observation, the chimney seems to pull air faster..

Did you find that is necessary to close grill lid?  MPO should have enough heat to bake with out the need to close grill lid or put foil. these steps will help getting MPO hot faster, bu it is necessary to do.

Bert,

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #134 on: August 03, 2012, 03:50:44 PM »
I need to be more creative to lower the cost without compromising quality... and still make it profitable .
Bert,

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #135 on: August 03, 2012, 04:12:52 PM »
i enjoyed playing with the MPO last week too.  we cooked two pies, both at about 4 min.  i think it works well.  the point Tom made was correct though  the depth of the MPO was about the same as Craig's grill so to pick up the MPO you had to scoot it away from the back of the grill to make room for the leaning back of the MPO.  then, to close the MPO, it had to be moved back in, which wasn't an easy one hand move.  We all thought that a hinge on the top of the back panel would make this easy.  i don't know about pricing but as an accessory to a high end grill it seems like an attractive unit. 
best luck!
bill

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #136 on: August 03, 2012, 06:31:09 PM »
Did you find that is necessary to close grill lid?  MPO should have enough heat to bake with out the need to close grill lid or put foil. these steps will help getting MPO hot faster, bu it is necessary to do.

I think what Tom was pointing out was that the chimney hits the lid of the grill when the MPO is lifted all the way into an upright position - to the point that the MPO cannot be freestanding in a vertical position without moving it on the grill. 
  Maybe lifting it all the way is not what you do.  Do you lift the MPO just far enough to launch the pie, or do you lift it all the way?
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #137 on: August 03, 2012, 07:21:10 PM »
the chimney just keeps the lid on the grill from closing.  the MPO is right up against the back of the grill.  we didn't have to pick it up very far to launch. 

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #138 on: August 03, 2012, 08:33:16 PM »
Aha!  Nothing like eyewitnesses! 

IMO, if the lid of the grill can't close, ppl won't be very happy.  I know I wouldn't be.  Rain, bugs, critters...

Maybe the chimney could be cut down / slanted / relocated?
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #139 on: August 03, 2012, 08:56:20 PM »
IMO, if the lid of the grill can't close, ppl won't be very happy.  I know I wouldn't be.  Rain, bugs, critters...

It's not ncessary for the grill lid to close. The MPO becomes the lid.
Pizza is not bread.

pizzapan