Author Topic: Introducing Mighty Pizza Oven  (Read 20363 times)

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Introducing Mighty Pizza Oven
« Reply #151 on: August 04, 2012, 01:16:58 PM »
Hopefully Peter can share his emergency NY dough recipe with me... It looked kind of complicated, if it require a calculator... My dough is one hour dough, the only thing I measure is flour and water using measuring cup.

Bert,

The reason I needed the calculator is because I had to do all the calculations by hand the old fashioned way. I had my iPad with me but it does not have Flash functionality, which is needed to use the dough calculating tools.

I think I can reconstruct the emergency dough recipe by memory or at least something close to it. Using the expanded dough calculating tool at http://www.pizzamaking.com/expanded_calculator.html, I would say that the dough formulation I used, for the purpose of making two 13" pizzas, based on a thickness factor of 0.09, was something very close to this:

King Arthur Bread Flour (100%):
Water (62%):
ADY (1%):
Salt (2%):
Olive Oil (2%):
Total (167%):
Single Ball:
405.59 g  |  14.31 oz | 0.89 lbs
251.46 g  |  8.87 oz | 0.55 lbs
4.06 g | 0.14 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.07 tsp | 0.36 tbsp
8.11 g | 0.29 oz | 0.02 lbs | 1.45 tsp | 0.48 tbsp
8.11 g | 0.29 oz | 0.02 lbs | 1.8 tsp | 0.6 tbsp
677.33 g | 23.89 oz | 1.49 lbs | TF = 0.09
338.67 g | 11.95 oz | 0.75 lbs

In making the dough, I took a small part of the total formula water, at around 105 degrees F, and rehydrated the ADY in it for about 10 minutes. I then heated the remaining water to around 120 degrees F and dissolved the salt in it and added the oil. All of the liquids went into a bowl to which I gradually added the flour. I did all the mixing and kneading by hand. Once the dough was done, I divided it into two pieces of around 12 ounces each. To get the dough balls to rise fast, since Craig's home was air-conditioned and cool, I put the two dough balls (coated with oil and placed into separate lightly sealed containers) outside near the grill where it was quite warm. I put a couple of spaced-apart fennel seeds (1") on each dough ball (on the tops of the dough balls) in order to monitor the degree of rise. I didn't note the time that the dough balls spent outside but the spacing of the fennel seeds suggested that the dough balls had increased in size by about 275%. I was looking for something between a doubling and a tripling in volume.

If Craig kept my notes, perhaps to put in a scrapbook for posterity, I can refine the dough formulation if I missed something. For example, I do not think that I added any sugar to the dough, for fear that the high bake temperatures would cause the bottoms of the crusts to darken prematurely or even burn.

Peter

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #152 on: August 04, 2012, 01:26:51 PM »
Why does the oven even need to be lifted? Can you not make the front door the complete width of the face of the oven?
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #153 on: August 04, 2012, 01:36:13 PM »
You gotta get the peel with the skin on it in there and place on the stone.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #154 on: August 04, 2012, 01:52:37 PM »
You gotta get the peel with the skin on it in there and place on the stone.
And notching out the aprox.1in. of material on each side of the door exposing the whole face of the insert, and then making a wider door...this won't work?

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #155 on: August 04, 2012, 02:31:08 PM »
I would think you need a certain amount of height to get the skin to slide off the peel - less chance of unplanned calzone.
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #156 on: August 04, 2012, 02:39:33 PM »
I've long had the same question about LBE's.  Why not just make the front vent big enough to launch the pie? 
-Jeff

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #157 on: August 04, 2012, 02:43:24 PM »
I would think you need a certain amount of height to get the skin to slide off the peel - less chance of unplanned calzone.
Well, I hear what you're saying....I was jus think'in that if Bert's gonna target the high-end grill owners he could maybe also sell those fancy peels (like Craig's)...don't those allow more control/maneuverability?

Offline Michael130207

« Reply #158 on: August 04, 2012, 02:50:04 PM »

I put a couple of spaced-apart fennel seeds (1") on each dough ball (on the tops of the dough balls) in order to monitor the degree of rise. I didn't note the time that the dough balls spent outside but the spacing of the fennel seeds suggested that the dough balls had increased in size by about 275%. I was looking for something between a doubling and a tripling in volume.
Peter

Pete,

That is genius, I always feel I am not properly estimating how much my dough has increased in volume and this is such a simple elegant way to do it. Thank you! How much of an increase in distance between the seeds do you feel corresponds to a doubling? If the volume of a hemisphere is related to the cube of the radius then it seems a 25% increase in circumference corresponds to a doubling of volume. Is that what you use or is it different in practice?
Michael

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #159 on: August 04, 2012, 03:17:50 PM »
Pete,

That is genius, I always feel I am not properly estimating how much my dough has increased in volume and this is such a simple elegant way to do it. Thank you! How much of an increase in distance between the seeds do you feel corresponds to a doubling? If the volume of a hemisphere is related to the cube of the radius then it seems a 25% increase in circumference corresponds to a doubling of volume. Is that what you use or is it different in practice?

Michael,

It was member November who taught me that little trick, and I subsequently started a thread on the subject at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6914.msg59335.html#msg59335. Once the 1" spacing becomes a bit more than 1.25", that represents a doubling (it is about 1.25 cubed).

The method doesn't work in all cases with all kinds of doughs and containers but for the purposes at Craig's place it was good enough.

Peter

buceriasdon

« Reply #160 on: August 04, 2012, 06:12:40 PM »
Jeff, With my LBE, which I have to say upfront is not a Weber grill, I tried that and found the "venturi effect" was seriously negated, I not longer had the superheated air rushing out the vent and my bake time dropped considerably. Maybe others would have better success. I just recently suggested to someone else here they cut the front third to half off creating a door and use two small hinges close together at the top of the dome to be able place the pizza when lifted up. I will also admit :-[ I never posted anything about this idea to the LBE topic. To me it's become a off topic wasteland that is of no interest to me. I am presently working on an upper and lower two burner kettle type oven that will have this front door and will post to a seperate thread.
Don

I've long had the same question about LBE's.  Why not just make the front vent big enough to launch the pie? 

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #161 on: August 04, 2012, 07:19:50 PM »
Don,

Not to go too far off topic, but can you explain the Venturi effect you mention?

-Jeff

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #162 on: August 04, 2012, 09:33:08 PM »
This was getting a little off topic, so I posted my review of the MPO after testing it here: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,20334.msg199996.html#msg199996

CL
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Vendor
    • MightyPizzaOven.com
« Reply #163 on: August 05, 2012, 10:05:07 AM »
Thanks Peter for the detail recipe... I will  create another thread for recipe, I have lot to learn.

I like to move MPO discussion to Craig MPO thread, Just quick comment before doing so, Lifting MPO allow users to have more access and room to pies..

Great feedback every one.