Author Topic: "Vacation" from Pizza?  (Read 3411 times)

Offline dmcavanagh

"Vacation" from Pizza?
« on: July 07, 2012, 08:42:40 AM »
It's been kinda quiet around here lately, everyone is out and about and busy in the summertime. Do you take a little "vacation" from pizza in the summer? Thank God I have an air conditioner in my kitchen so I can still fire up the oven and not fire up the house. Three pies hit the stone last night, two just plain cheese and one with some primo pepperoni. :pizza:

Offline Bob1

Re: "Vacation" from Pizza?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 09:49:42 AM »
It's been kinda quiet around here lately, everyone is out and about and busy in the summertime. Do you take a little "vacation" from pizza in the summer? Thank God I have an air conditioner in my kitchen so I can still fire up the oven and not fire up the house. Three pies hit the stone last night, two just plain cheese and one with some primo pepperoni. :pizza:

Could be the summer, but sometimes I wonder if the scale impacts some of the experimentation.  I would estimate that most people over 35 wake up someday and realize they put on few extra pounds.  That is why I cut back a few years ago.

Bob

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 10:58:03 AM »
Summertime schmummertime.

Pizza & sex. Never too hot for either.  :)
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 11:18:32 AM »
Pizza & sex. Never too hot for either.  :)

Not at the same time, I hope (Seinfeld reference  ;) )

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 11:25:28 AM »
He'still a youngin Bill !  You know how they are...... >:D
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 12:50:10 PM »
I don't take a vacation from making pizza in the summer but I definitely don't make as much. No outdoor oven for me.

Even though my house has A/C, firing the oven up to 550 degrees still heats the kitchen up and makes the A/C work much harder. It is 100 degrees here right now and my A/C is struggling to keep up as it is. I am not looking forward to seeing my electric bill for this month!
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 01:38:37 PM »
In Texas, there is a regulator that governs how often pizza is made, and it is called summer. Last year, we had over 72 days in my part of Texas (outside of Dallas) where the temperature was at or over 100 degrees F We fell shy by two days of the number of consecutive days where the temperature was at or over 100 degrees F. That record was 42 days. I suppose the good news is that the "vacations" away from pizza that Texans takes inherently regulates their waist sizes. Or, as a pundit once said: "A waist is a terrible thing to mind".

Peter

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2012, 02:03:41 PM »
According to my backyard thermometer, it is now 102 degrees. That with 60% humidity. You guys in Texas may be a little more used to it, but here, not so much.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2012, 02:09:55 PM »
Don,

I am at 101 degrees F at the moment. And that is inside the house (just kidding :-D). I think we will be ending up higher by the end of the day.

I might add that sometimes in the summer I will make pizzas but using a pizza screen instead of a preheated pizza stone. It only takes about 15 minutes to get the oven to around 500 degrees F and about 7 minutes to bake the pizza.

Peter

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2012, 02:15:13 PM »
I do the same thing sometimes. I use just a screen and bake using convection. Not my favorite way to do it but it is definitely quicker and creates less heat.

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2012, 02:27:26 PM »
The screen instead of the stone is a smart idea. People frown on screens, but they are a tool which comes in handy in many situations. Good thinking you guys! 8)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2012, 03:08:46 PM »
It is over 100 degrees in my area now in the shade.  Thank goodness I am not at market today.  ;D  When I am there I have to make pizza no matter what temperature it is and also keep the oven on all day.  I said to Steve Tuesday, if I have to open the oven door one more and get that blast of heat, I almost canít stand it.  Of course, I opened the oven many more times.  At least I do get to do some experiments because whether it is hot or not, the oven is on.
 :-D

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2012, 03:20:01 PM »
After a sweltering June, it is warmer inside today than it is outside.  :P

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2012, 03:48:25 PM »
I definitely find myself less inclined to fire up the indoor WFO during the Summer.  Luckily it cools off enough here that I am still occasionally inclined to do so, but I find myself longing for fall already.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2012, 05:23:27 PM »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2012, 05:31:07 PM »
Made 2 LBE 14" NY (575-bake cheese for the kids then 650-bake sausage, ham, portobella for the adults) for relatives on Weds - 99 degrees, 90% humidity... that was a struggle, but they came out great.  Now if my sister will just send the pics from her camera, I'll post them.

One of the biggest problems was keeping the launch peel dry.  Sweat was falling off me like rain.  The first skin was pulled onto the peel and stuck like glue.  Wound up scraping it into the tupperware and throwing it in the freezer.  I'll thaw it sometime and make dough twists out of it.

I've only had the LBE since Christmas - it was my gift to myself  :D   I have to say, I'm looking forward to cooler weather too!
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2012, 01:38:25 AM »
The heat is bad but bearable, but the #@$$%@# flies drive me insane (more so than normal) so I do not cook in the WFO as much in the summer.

Offline Nebula

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2012, 11:28:20 AM »
I just finished building a LBE a couple weeks ago so I could have pizza during the summer. Now if only the dang mosquitoes would go away.

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2012, 12:22:26 PM »
I just finished building a LBE a couple weeks ago so I could have pizza during the summer. Now if only the dang mosquitoes would go away.

Yeah right.  I get mosquitos year round except for below-freezing daytime temps.   This time of year, theres horseflies, black flies, regular-looking-but-biting flies during the day, then huge primodorial (asian) mosquitos at dusk and biting gnats, followed by the smaller anopheles type of mosquito all night long...  The only way its possible to enjoy being outside at night is to either douse everything with bug spray, which tastes terrible, or have some kind of screened enclosure as big as the patio with a mosquito trap inside of it.
  Oh right, this is why I built a bar in the basement.
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2012, 12:27:24 PM »
That's weird. In our area, I don't think that the mosquitoes are nearly as bad this year as they normally are. I was thinking that it was because it has been so dry.

pizzapan