Author Topic: Many Guests here  (Read 781 times)

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Many Guests here
« on: July 07, 2012, 10:20:44 AM »
Everday I notice there's like 100 guests or more.....man, there's a lot of people out there wanting to make pizza and that's just on our site alone.

I wonder how many of them are return guests and I just think it's kinda interesting that a core of around 100 always seem present.....
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
Re: Many Guests here
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 10:28:03 AM »
The forum has spiders!

Many of those guests are likely search spiders. Steve probably has a search engine optimization mod installed.
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 10:48:31 AM »
Don,

Pleas tell me more...
Are these spiders mainly for e-mail harvesting? And with this mod you mentioned the spider hits a wall cause it doesn't become a member?
Any guess at how many human "guests" we get?  Jus curios...thanks!

Bob

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 10:54:09 AM »
Are these spiders mainly for e-mail harvesting?

Spiders do not have access to your email address stored in this site. They are mainly for search engine results. Most of the guests are human pizza lovers.  

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 10:58:00 AM »
Everday I notice there's like 100 guests or more.....man, there's a lot of people out there wanting to make pizza and that's just on our site alone.

I wonder how many of them are return guests and I just think it's kinda interesting that a core of around 100 always seem present.....

Bob,

I have attempted to study the relationship of the number of guests to the number of members. Unfortunately, there is no easy way of doing this from in front of the curtain (maybe Steve, the owner of the forum, can do it from behind the curtain), because the numbers change in real time and also vary depending on the time of day and the time of year (usually related to seasons, with summers being slower than winters). For example, if you look at the ratio of guests to members at 3:00AM, when most of us in the U.S. are asleep, there can be a ratio of guests to members of 50 to 1, with most of those guests being from countries where the people are awake while we in the U.S. are asleep. Normally, however, I would say that the median ratio of members to guests is around 7 to 1. But, that is only a median number, not an average number.

It is also important to keep in mind that guests see a lot less of what is on the forum than members. For example, since guests cannot conduct searches, they have to use the forum indexes to find things, such as recipes. Try logging off sometime and try to find something. It is very difficult and time consuming. I have concluded that many guests decide to register because it is so easy to do and makes their lives so much easier. As a result, if a guest doesn't register, that suggests to me that the guest has only a casual interest in pizza. I would put many of them in the "just looking" category.

I also look at the number of people, both guests and members, who are on the forum at any given time. That number for some while has been around 150. But that number tends to go down in the summer when fewer people are making pizza and to go up in the winter when more people are making pizza. That number can also jump at certain times, as around Super Bowl time or a major holiday or other event where people are more motivated to make pizza.

I think the key number to watch is the number of members, but keep in mind that most of those members remain on the sidelines most of the time, as lurkers or bystanders, not as active participants. At any given time, there is only a small group of active, or core, participants on the forum, and even then they come and go. It is like a repertory theatre with a constantly changing cast of characters.

As Don pointed out, there are also various spiders that regularly comb the forum to collect information for their search engines and maybe to conduct activites that are advertising related. I am not sure whether they are included in the number of "guests".

Peter
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 11:00:04 AM by Pete-zza »

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 11:28:46 AM »
Don,

Pleas tell me more...
Are these spiders mainly for e-mail harvesting? And with this mod you mentioned the spider hits a wall cause it doesn't become a member?
Any guess at how many human "guests" we get?  Jus curios...thanks!

Bob
No e-mail harvesting or other nefarious motives. These "spiders" just comb through the forum to find indexing information for search engines like Google. This is why if you search for something related to making pizza on Google or some other search engine, you will undoubtedly get several hits on this forum. This is a good thing as it brings more people to the forum.

The SEO (Search Engine Optimization) mod that I mentioned makes the forum much more spider friendly so that all of the information gets indexed.

I have been a part of many Internet forums at capacities up to administrator. On one particular forum, when we installed an SEO mod, the number of guests tripled. As for how many of the guests are human vs. bots here, I don't know. I am only familar with the SEO mods for vBulletin and phpBB forums, and not SMF as this forum uses.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 12:03:44 PM by Colonel_Klink »

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 11:39:45 AM »
Thanks Bill & Peter,

I understand the difficulty in trying to navigate for the non member....that's why I found it curious to have so many window shoppers yet so few of them signing up. Although I do feel that ; on average, 5-10 new members per day , every day , is impressive...I do wish they were more of a contributing bunch rather than merely ships passing in the night.

Bob

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2012, 11:54:06 AM »
Thank you Don...very interesting.
I recently saw Peter mention that he was glad that Steve chose an "indexing system". Does the type of indexing program one chooses have a direct correlation to the speed with which information is retrieved and displayed....or do I need to just stop talking about this stuff right now and go open up a book!   :-[     :-D

Thanks!
Bob

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2012, 12:06:14 PM »
Bob,

I donít know if you ever looked at the Alexa ratings for pizzamaking.com, and looked what websites send people here, or see the other stats on Alexa, but I find them interesting.  

This is the link. http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/pizzamaking.com

Sites linking in (5 pages) http://www.alexa.com/site/linksin/pizzamaking.com

You can click on Traffic Stats, Search Analytic, Audience, and other things on the tabs on the first link and see what search traffic is on the rise and decline.  

If you go down in the main page a little more it can be seen what the high impact search queries are for pizzamaking.com each time they are looked at.  They do change.

There is even a link to the Wayback Machine on the sidebar to see what pizza making.com looked like in the past and the Wayback Machine can pull up different posts from the past.

Edit:  The Wayback Machine needs to be clicked on from the first link.
http://wayback.archive.org/web/*/pizzamaking.com

Norma
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 12:07:55 PM by norma427 »
Always working and looking for new information!

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2012, 12:54:49 PM »
Spiders do not have access to your email address stored in this site. They are mainly for search engine results. Most of the guests are human pizza lovers.  
I believe you are right Bill...

At this very moment we have 105 guests and 18 members.....this topic was started only aprox. 2 hours ago yet it has already received over 60 hits. Our guests are very busy bees!   ;)

Bob

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2012, 01:17:55 PM »
At this very moment we have 105 guests and 18 members.....this topic was started only aprox. 2 hours ago yet it has already received over 60 hits. Our guests are very busy bees!   ;)

Bob,

You are being too modest. It is because you are a superstar, and the posts of superstars get more hits than those of members who are mere mortals :-D. You are a magnet.

Peter

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2012, 01:21:34 PM »
It's amazing how much you look like Sinatra too!

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2012, 01:36:24 PM »
It's amazing how much you look like Sinatra too!
Hey baby....I can't help that man!!       8)