So, tonight my mission was to drop the dome (and keep it under a million pounds, removable, etc). So, i went to my metal supplier and got a sheet of 18 gauge sheet metal and set to work. My grill is 20" inside the lid from front to back, so i cut a piece that was 24x28w. That would have dropped the dome to about 5.75" total (1 have 1.25" of deck height). Based on the feedback here, that seemed too high. So, out it came and i trimmed another 2" off, total dims 22 deep 28 wide. I think that works, dropped the dome to about 3.75" at its peak.
So, me being without dough at the moment, I just did a test fire to check heat behavior. I started a small fire with my (endlessly free) oak splits, and waited. Started at 8pm, then by 830 had a good fire going. It's tough to see, but the flames really tracked well down the new low dome, about 2/3 of the way to the chimney side.
In the end, i ran the fire for about an hour without any coals underneath, and only had the fire on the far right fire basket (save for a few minutes where i moved some sticks to the middle of the hearth). Here are the specs:
Dome got much hotter, with some readings coming in 900+ (probably a direct reflection off the flame, but its only 3.5" up, so it won't be far from a pie).
Deck hit about 700 right next to fire, 600 in middle 400 on far left.
I will make some dough tomorrow and do another bake on sunday and let you know how it turns out.
thanks again for all the feedback and support.