Author Topic: bfguilford's Glutenboy progress  (Read 3291 times)

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
bfguilford's Glutenboy progress
« on: July 08, 2012, 08:19:17 PM »
We just devoured tonight's bake. It was a 6 day old Glutenboy dough, made with 1/3 Central Milling Organic Type 85 Malted and 2/3 Central Milling Artisan Bakers Craft Malted. 65% hydration (which made it a little sticky when balling it, but more than made up for that with the beautiful cornicione).

Bianco pie, topped with 1/2 cherry tomatoes and 1/2 sliced tomatoes (to accommodate everyone's taste), fresh garlic and basil. This time I used Dragone part skim mozz (really good cheese, for a part skim), with a liberal spraying of EVOO to help the melting. 5:30 bake (3:00 on bake; 2:30 on convection).

This was astonishingly good tasting dough, with a light, puffy, moist, chewy interior inside a nice crunch... the best pie I've made to date (the family agreed).

Still a long way to go... I'm hoping to get a 16x16 1/2" steel plate in the next little while to reduce my bake time to Scott's magical 4 minute make.

All in all, it was worth the sweating in the kitchen, with a nice bonus of a sunflower flax bread about to go into the oven (only turning that sucker on once this week with this heat and humidity).

I'm hooked. It'll be Glutenboy dough when I can plan ahead, and JerryMac dough when I'm doing it same-day. The best of both worlds.

Barry
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: bfguilford's Glutenboy progress
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 09:25:17 PM »
Barry,

Your Glutenboy pizza sure looks delicious and the crumb structure looks great!  :)

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline scott123

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 03:10:22 PM »
Very nice, Barry. As we've discussed, the steel should kick the pizza up a notch (from your own perspective, but maybe not the entire family's), but other than that, from what I'm seeing, until then, I think this is pretty much where you want to be.

How about a shot of that EVOO assisted cheese next time?

Is it always going to be a white pizza? Don't you have any family members asking you for red?

I'm hooked. It'll be Glutenboy dough when I can plan ahead, and JerryMac dough when I'm doing it same-day. The best of both worlds.

Is this really the 'best of both worlds?'  I'm Goldilocks when it comes to fermentation- same day is too little, 6 is too much, while 3 is juuuuuust right  ;D

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 03:34:57 PM »

How about a shot of that EVOO assisted cheese next time?

Is it always going to be a white pizza? Don't you have any family members asking you for red?

Is this really the 'best of both worlds?'  I'm Goldilocks when it comes to fermentation- same day is too little, 6 is too much, while 3 is juuuuuust right  ;D

I'll post a shot of the cheese next time.

As far as the white/red goes, my son (much to my surprise) asked me for a red pie with garlic, basil and cheese next time. Now to spend the next 2 months in the sauce board of the forum to see if I can find good ground organic tomatoes. Sigh...

As for fermentation, oh Goldilocks (BTW, I've seen your picture... not so much)  ;D, are you talking about a 3 day fermentation using Glutenboy's dough? It was mighty tasty at 6 days.

Barry
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline scott123

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 03:55:04 PM »
Don't sweat the sauce, Barry.

Get a good brand of peeled ground or peeled crushed tomatoes (Pastene, Classico, 6 in 1, etc.), add just enough sugar that it loses a bit of it's acidic bite and salt to taste. That's all you need. I'll sometimes add garlic or fresh basil to my sauce, but if you're topping the pizza with them, you don't need them in the sauce.

A little bit of a quality pecorino romano or reggiano is a nice addition, but far from essential.

You don't think I look like Goldilocks? The photo must have been of my bad side  ;D

No offense to Glutenboy, but I like my own 3 day dough.

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 05:45:35 PM »
Don't sweat the sauce, Barry.

Get a good brand of peeled ground or peeled crushed tomatoes (Pastene, Classico, 6 in 1, etc.), add just enough sugar that it loses a bit of it's acidic bite and salt to taste. That's all you need. I'll sometimes add garlic or fresh basil to my sauce, but if you're topping the pizza with them, you don't need them in the sauce.

A little bit of a quality pecorino romano or reggiano is a nice addition, but far from essential.

You don't think I look like Goldilocks? The photo must have been of my bad side  ;D

Thanks for that Goldi... uh, Scott. I've been adding a little pecorino romano to my pies and like that taste. Care to share your 3 day dough recipe (I did a search and couldn't seem to find it... or are you gonna make me work for it?).

Barry

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza & Sex -- Good? Great! Bad? Still okay.
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 05:53:59 PM »
Them's fightin' words, Pal.  We're headed for a doughdown...  :-D
Quote under my pic excludes Little Caesar's.

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 10:04:00 PM »
After last week's bake (NY using starter), 12 year old critic (turned helper) asked for a Glutenboy dough this week. Breaking with my tradition of using Type 85 flour, I used a 50/50 mix of Central Milling's organic ABC Malted and High Mountain High Protein (which, in combination, gives around a =/- 13% protein level). 61% hydration and a 6 day cold ferment.

First pie was white, with garlic, basil, mozzarella and a little pecorino romano, broccoli plus (on my half) grilled red/yellow/orange peppers left over from last night's dinner. EVOO sprayed on top and convection baked at 550 for 4 minutes plus a minute and a half on low broil.

Second pie was half cheese on a tomato/garlic/basil/oregano sauce sweetened with a little agave (for the critic/helper), and half white with garlic, basil, shitake mushrooms, grilled portabello mushrooms (also let over from last night's dinner), and EVOO. Inspired by our local WFO place, who use fontina cheese one of their mushroom pies, I tried jarlesberg. What a great taste combination (maybe not quite as good as the fontina). I will definitely try that again.

As always, the Glutenboy crust was beautiful... easy to work with... good crumb, and really tasty. Apologies for the half-eaten upskirt shot... I forgot about it until we pretty much devoured the whole pizza. The bottom was a beautiful, deep golden brown.

12 year old critic/helper and I made another batch of GB dough right after finishing for next Sunday (7 day cold ferment coming up).

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 02:15:03 PM »
Tried a 10-day cold ferment this time around. Holy Glutenboy! This was the tastiest crust that I've ever made. A nice crunch, with a very pillow-y internal structure. 12-year old critic and I were in pizza heaven (my wife went out for dinner with a friend, and other than the obligatory slices for 12-year old critic's lunch, there was none left from this bake... we were stuffed).

First pie was cheese with tomato sauce. Second pie was white, with broccoli, garlic, basil and EVOO.

I also tried something new with the part-skim mozz this time around. Rather than putting it into the freezer for an hour and then shredding it in the food processor (which is usually a bit of an adventure), I cubed it (estimated 3/16" cubes). That made a big difference in the excessive browning that can happen with the part-skim when I am trying to brown the crust under the broiler.

50/50 mix of Central Milling Organic ABC Malted and High Mountain High Protein flours
62 % hydration
2.5 % salt
2% IDY

3 minute convection @ 550 degrees
2 minutes on broil (high)

Barry

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 02:40:52 PM »
It sure looks good!
Pizza is not bread.

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 06:20:07 PM »
Wow, those look fantastic!  Great photos, too. 

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2013, 06:30:13 PM »
Thanks, Craig and Robyn! I appreciate the feedback, especially coming from the two of you.

Barry

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2013, 07:03:20 PM »
Barry,

When I assembled the list of non-Lehmann NY style dough formulations at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11860.msg110289.html#msg110289, there was a good reason for putting Glutenboy's NY style dough formulation first in the list. It was the one that the members spoke most highly about. You will also note that I have updated Glutenboy's work several times since the list was created.

Peter

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2013, 07:08:04 PM »
Barry,

When I assembled the list of non-Lehmann NY style dough formulations at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11860.msg110289.html#msg110289, there was a good reason for putting Glutenboy's NY style dough formulation first in the list. It was the one that the members spoke most highly about. You will also note that I have updated Glutenboy's work several times since the list was created.

Peter

That doesn't surprise me in the least, Peter. BTW, if you hadn't done such a great job of putting that thread together, I doubt that I would have ever stumbled on this formulation. Thank you, Obi-Wan.

Barry

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2013, 07:20:14 PM »
Thank you, Obi-Wan.

Barry,

I'm glad the list helped.

Peter

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2013, 07:59:48 PM »
that looks great Barry,  I use part-skim most of the time and sometimes dice the cheese, I find it works well that way

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2013, 09:58:30 PM »
Barry,

That looks fantastic!

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2013, 10:15:32 PM »
Thanks Deb and Norma!

Deb... I figured someone else was doing that already. It's so much better than shredding (more like pulverizing) it in my food processor, even with the french fry blade.

Barry
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 10:19:30 PM by bfguilford »

Offline corkd

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2013, 02:37:31 PM »
Your pies look great Barry, & i was inspired to try this dough for the first time. I mixed  Monday nite, & baked on Saturday. I used a low-protein supermarket AP flour, 62% , 2.5% salt, .28% ADY, hand kneaded.  (My yeast, interestingly,  is about 1yr past the exp date but it works fine). I took the balls out of the fridge on Friday night, which turned out to be just enough time to proof for baking.
I recently bought a steel plate, but the snow melted enough to allow me to use my 2stone grill setup. At 650 these pies came out great.. Very satisfying. I plan to try extending the ferment next time.
~clay

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2013, 02:48:09 PM »
Thanks Carl. My yeast (in the freezer, except for a small quantity kept in the fridge) is also well past expiry date, but I don't think it's really having any negative impact. If you decide to try a higher protein flour (like KABF or similar), I'd be interested in hearing about the differences on the 2stone.

As far as Glutenboy on steel plate goes, check out reply #6 on this thread: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,20304.0.html where Scott123 gave me feedback on the bottom burning issues I was running into.

Barry

pizzapan