Author Topic: Top off exposure?  (Read 814 times)

Offline pbspelly

Top off exposure?
« on: July 16, 2012, 11:16:34 PM »
So I came home today and the Ischia starter, which I had been activating, had pushed the top of the mason jar off.  Which means it sat there uncovered for a few hours.  Possibly three or four.  What is the chance that some local yeast floating around in my kitchen took advantage of the opportunity to set up shop in my uncovered starter and alter the flavor? Is there any way to know, apart from just testing the end product's taste?

parallei

Re: Top off exposure?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 11:37:07 PM »
The huge population of yeast and bacteria in your activated starter should out compete anything else that dares to set up shop.  No worries.....
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 11:55:06 PM by parallei »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 08:44:51 AM »
I agree. No worries. It sounds like you have good activity in your culture if it pushed the top off. A few local bugs can't compete with that. If that was a concern, you'd never be able to open your container, right? Also, there is a lot more yeast and bacteria in the flour you feed your culture than in the air.

Ischia is a strong, stable culture that has been around for a long time. This suggests it is very resistant to invasion.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline pbspelly

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 09:35:22 AM »
Thanks

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 10:48:59 AM »
That's happened to me more than once. No worries mate. --k
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell