Author Topic: Lining a Weber kettle lid with foil  (Read 1552 times)

Offline jimm

Lining a Weber kettle lid with foil
« on: July 10, 2012, 08:54:49 AM »
I'm getting into making pizza on my 22" Weber kettle grill.  On the "introduce yourself" forum, the comment was made that my pizza photos show plenty of heat from my pizza stone but not enough reflected heat baking the cheese & toppings.  I was pointed to the Little Black Egg thread and told I should also consider lining my lid with foil.  Sounds good to me.  Problem is, that thread is some 80 pages long, and the original poster didn't discuss HOW he attached the foil to the lid (or at least didn't in the first post).  It's going to take a LONG time to dig through each page, so I thought I'd ask here:

What methods have you people used to attach foil to the inside lid of a Weber kettle?  I'd like to continue to use it as my steak-and-burger grill, so permanent modifications would be unfortunate.  (Not out of the question, I suppose, as Weber is very good about selling replacement parts.  I could just buy a 2nd lid.)  I though about spraying it with highly reflective paint, but I fear there might be toxins released with high heat, and that would be bad.  Very bad.  Magnets won't work -- aluminum isn't magnetic.

Any thoughts?

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
Re: Lining a Weber kettle lid with foil
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 09:19:41 AM »
Read the 80 pages, you might learn something else new. :chef: :pizza:
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 09:26:40 AM »
Foil is irrelevant to the bake. It was used in the first few iterations of the build, then several people reported it made no difference whether there was foil or not.

Please read the entire thread.  There's so much information and many further advancements to learn about after the first few pages.  Nothing can take the place of you doing your own thorough research and design.

BTW, you will not have an LBE without making some modifications.  Those modifications DO NOT necessarily mean you can't make anything but pizza.  Read it all to find out.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 09:28:57 AM by pizzaneer »
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline jimm

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 09:36:39 AM »
Fair enough, although I have to admit I'm not really interested in an LBE proper.  Maybe after I dig through the thread I'll change my mind.  Thanks!

Offline jimm

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 09:37:36 AM »
That said, if one is cooking on a pizza stone, and the bottom of the crust is nice and black but the top isn't really "performing" as it should, does that just mean the stone is too hot?

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 09:53:21 AM »
No, it means that you don't have enough heat on the top of the pizza.  You could be making perfect pizzas if the top heat balanced with the bottom heat.  But you won't see that kind of top heat without making a few mods.

I mean to say "compared with" the bottom heat.  Hopefully, that made sense... ::)

You sound like you'd be interested in the Kettle Pizza insert.  It's intended for people that want a drop-in gadget that can convert the Weber Kettle to pizza oven, then back to grill.

see this thread for discussion and first-hand accounts (with pictures):  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,18804.0.html
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 10:01:27 AM by pizzaneer »

Offline jimm

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 05:24:22 PM »
So it's better to "sandwich" the pizza between pizza stones?  (Obviously, the pizza shouldn't touch the upper stone.)  Presumably the hot upper stone radiates heat onto the top of the pizza?

I'd be happy to modify the upper lid of my Kettle to add a suspended grate which supports another stone.  I just need to either remove it (cold) or use it as is with enough clearance for steaks and burgers.

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 06:58:25 PM »
Did you check out  the Kettle Pizza Insert thread?

Offline jimm

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 02:10:33 AM »
Looked around . . . not sure which thread you're referring to . . . I'm highly experienced in "web forum" (and UseNet) etiquette, but I gotta say, y'all are pretty unwilling to just answer a few simple "newbie" questions.  What's the point of a "newbie" forum if all you do is suggest people read the other threads?  Some of us don't want to make this a career.  Whatever.  I'm sure I'm now an outcast.

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 07:18:36 AM »
 :-\.... ok.

Click on this link.  Look at the pictures.
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,19973.0.html

buceriasdon

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2012, 04:51:38 PM »
I'm with you jimm, I'd rather have a root canal done than read some of these threads all the way through. Repetitive, off topic half the time, with little real substance or photo after photo of the same looking lump of dough, thanks, I'll pass. Now, on this subject, I  have found even using heavy duty foil to have not that great of a benefit versus hassle of doing it trade off. I didn't see that much improvement.
Don

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2012, 11:11:46 PM »
.....I'll bet you never liked the 'ol "Donnie & Marie Show " either did you!     :-D
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"