Author Topic: BSM Contadino 00  (Read 1317 times)

parallei

BSM Contadino 00
« on: July 10, 2012, 11:45:06 PM »
I recently received a sample of Bay State Milling's Contadino 00 Flour.  This flour is milled in the States and, I believe, is meant to compete with the Italian 00 flours.  From what I understand, it is not in full distribution yet and I'm not sure if it will be distributed in smaller quantities (like 5 lbs) on the retail level.  I'm no Type 00 expert like some, but here are my impressions:

- In hand, the flour feels as finely milled as the two Italian 00 flours I've tried (Caputo and San Felice)
 - The flour readily ad/absorbed the water I added.  Much like Caputo.  Maybe better.
 - A hand mix, followed by a 2 min rest and about 3 min of hand kneading produced avery silky dough, once again like Caputo.
 - The dough I made was 62% HR, 0.40% IDY, and 2.5% Salt.  It was balled immediately and put in the fridge for 24 hrs, then brought to room temp for about       3.5 hrs.
 - The finished dough handled fine.  Very easy to open.  The pie below was a 70 - 80 sec pie on the 2Stone. One of my better NP Pies actually....

I'd buy this flour for sure, if and when it should become readily available.  I like the idea of the wheat staying on this continent!

Here is a link to the Contadino cut sheet (not much tech info I'm afraid):

http://www.baystatemilling.com/Products/ProductInformation/Contadino.pdf

« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 12:10:12 AM by parallei »

Offline PizzaPolice

• Supporting Member
  • WFO-Where Art & Physics meet - Heat is the Arbiter
Contadino 00 Flour
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 12:32:56 PM »
As you all may have read there is a new player in the 00 market.  Bay State Milling has just started rolling out their new product line to the masses.  I spoke to Cathy Salley @ Bay State in Winona MN about 10 days ago.  She is a very nice person who offered to send me a 25 Kg bag, gratis.  It arrived yesterday and the two attached files were included.  Last week, at GFS, while picking up prep stuff for a gig I asked the manager about this flour.  He called me yesterday afternoon with some good news.  Gordon Food Service will handle this flour along with the other great Bay State Milling flours they carry.  Will, the manager told me the order or SKU number is 915924.  It will be shipped just in the 25 Kg. (55 lbs.) bag.  The cost at this time is just under $33.  
BTW, I still have no definitive answer on the whole milk block mozz.  They know it comes from WI.  I'm still on them about it.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
Re: Contadino 00 Flour
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 12:36:09 PM »
I have a 50 lb bag that I am dying to try out. I plan on doing a side by side with Caputo. I really hope this is the flour that can replace Caputo.

John

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
Re: BSM Contadino 00
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 02:05:36 PM »
nice! do you happen to know the "W" and "P/L"? those are really important values to compare to Italian flours.
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 02:14:14 PM »
I baked a batch of pizzas today for crew of 5 using this flour. I simply dropped it into my standard Caputo 00 sourdough process that I have been tweaking for many years. I told no one that I had done anything different - the reaction was unanimous - thumbs down. Too chewy, too dense, not as much flavor. I'm sure this flour has a sweet spot that can turn out great crusts, but I'm not sure I want to go through the effort. Why are people interested in finding a substitute for Caputo. Cost?

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 04:19:12 PM »
I baked a batch of pizzas today for crew of 5 using this flour. I simply dropped it into my standard Caputo 00 sourdough process that I have been tweaking for many years. I told no one that I had done anything different - the reaction was unanimous - thumbs down. Too chewy, too dense, not as much flavor. I'm sure this flour has a sweet spot that can turn out great crusts, but I'm not sure I want to go through the effort. Why are people interested in finding a substitute for Caputo. Cost?

Yikes. I will see what my workflow turns out, but the dense and chewey is not a good sign. But your pizza looks effortless and ethereal.

The only reason I would like to find a different flour is the enormous carbon footprint Caputo has - flying flour from North America to Italy and then shipping it back.

John

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 04:24:22 PM »

The only reason I would like to find a different flour is the enormous carbon footprint Caputo has - flying flour from North America to Italy and then shipping it back.

I wonder how much burning wood in the WFO adds to that footprint?  :)

parallei

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 04:49:49 PM »
Too chewy, too dense, not as much flavor. I'm sure this flour has a sweet spot that can turn out great crusts, but I'm not sure I want to go through the effort. Why are people interested in finding a substitute for Caputo. Cost?

Bill,

Ditto on a bit more chewy (but then I'm a guy that does lot of 50/50 00/KASL doughs!).  I thought it had a bit more "wheat" flavor than the Caputo, at least with the IDY dough I made.  Not sure I picked that up with the 48 hr SD I did; my tastes aren't that refined.  But I agree it does not taste exactly like Caputo.

Not sure about the dense part as I'm not sure what you mean Bill. Not as open a crumb, or just heavier all around somehow?

Wheat from North America to Italy and back - cost wise - energy wise - and the old why can't we do to it here, I guess.  Anyway, I gotta another 20#'s I need to blow through. :-D

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 05:01:22 PM »
Bill,

Not sure about the dense part as I'm not sure what you mean Bill. Not as open a crumb, or just heavier all around somehow?

Not as airy. I aim for a light, airy, soft, tender crust with layers of delicate flavors, something I still struggle to achieve. I'm sure I could find the right combination of ratios and procedures to get that with the BSM 00. But I'd rather spend my time getting more consistent results with Caputo.

Next time I make a NYC crust, I'll try the BSM flour. It may be better suited for that for me.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 06:49:17 PM »
Yikes. I will see what my workflow turns out, but the dense and chewey is not a good sign. But your pizza looks effortless and ethereal.

John

I really doubt much, if any, Caputo ever sees the inside of an airplane.

CL
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

pizzapan