Author Topic: Slice story by Adam Kuban  (Read 576 times)

Online waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
Slice story by Adam Kuban
« on: March 25, 2014, 05:35:12 PM »
Adam contacted me a while back about doing a story on The Smiling With Hope Bakery Program.  In our many exchanges via emails I feel like I have gotten to know Adam and the job he did was absolutely perfect.  I couldn't ask for anything more.  My hope is this article will help to show society that people with disabilities can be great employees.   Thanks Adam!  Walter

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2014/03/smiling-with-hope-high-school-pizzeria-bakery-newark-ohio.html

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
Re: Slice story by Adam Kuban
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 06:43:24 PM »
A wonderful story about your incredible work with these students.
And I dig the music.
Perry

Online waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 07:07:36 PM »
A wonderful story about your incredible work with these students.
And I dig the music.
Perry

Thanks Perry on both counts!  I had to do everything myself with the music because my approach will never fit the music industry box.  They told me this many times over the years and if I would let them guide me I would be famous and as long as I worked 24/7 on my own I would starve.  They were right and luckily I found special needs kids to channel my energy to.  One of the biggest gifts of my musical journey has been promotion.  I learned that well and now I promote a great cause.  The more press I generate the more legitimate the program becomes in educational circles.  I am most likely the only special education program in the country running at the level we do and hopefully the more known/legitimate our program becomes the more inspired other educators will become to start programs that graduate students to real jobs.   Walter
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 07:10:07 PM by waltertore »

Online Chaze215

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 08:35:30 PM »
Congrats Walter! That's a great story and great article by Adam. Keep up the good work!
Chaz

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 11:13:47 PM »
Walter, you're on fire man!  It's a real pleasure to watch you gain more and more well deserved exposure.  Thanks to Adam too, great story.
Bill

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 09:11:58 AM »
Walter, you're on fire man!  It's a real pleasure to watch you gain more and more well deserved exposure.  Thanks to Adam too, great story.
Bill

^^^  Congratulations to you and your students!

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline akuban

• Supporting Member
  • Crusty, saucy, cheesy
    • Margot's Pizza
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 10:14:12 AM »
Happy to be able to highlight the bakery, Walter. And I wouldn't have known about the bakery if it weren't for Pizzamaking.com — which I think I mentioned in a comment on that post. I really enjoyed learning about you and your kids and the bakery. Sorry it took so long to get it posted!
¡Hasta la pizza!

Online waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 12:46:47 PM »
Happy to be able to highlight the bakery, Walter. And I wouldn't have known about the bakery if it weren't for Pizzamaking.com — which I think I mentioned in a comment on that post. I really enjoyed learning about you and your kids and the bakery. Sorry it took so long to get it posted!

Thanks everyone and Adam you are changing the world.  That article will reach untold numbers of people.  My fanstasy is someone will contact me and want to open a larger operation and I get to set it up and run it.  Someday I see a bakery with a pizzeria next door, a coffe shop next to that, and a cool restaurant next to that.  All 4 will be under the smiling with hope name and that would mean lots of special needs people with work.   It will be in a hip town that is safe.  My employees will live within a block or 2 and will be able to walk everywhere safely.  Sadly most of my students go on to group homes and they are usually located in bad parts of towns.   Our society doesn't give out prime happy hopeful realestate to people that can't afford it because they are disabled.   Walter

« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 05:22:42 PM by waltertore »

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2014, 09:38:54 AM »
 walter, this is a wonderful story by adam, about a wonderful thing that you are doing!!!! down the road if you decide to open your dream pizzeria all of your good work at helping others will pay off 1000 times over.

Online waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2014, 05:03:06 PM »
walter, this is a wonderful story by adam, about a wonderful thing that you are doing!!!! down the road if you decide to open your dream pizzeria all of your good work at helping others will pay off 1000 times over.

Thanks Larry!  I will need help with my own place with business end of things. We are planning on moving to Reno, NV in 6 years if all goes well.  We will hire a disabled person or 2.  I know how to run a pizzeria but not a thing about how to set up a business plan or corp, or whatever you have to do to hang your sign :)  Walter