Author Topic: Food and Photography  (Read 454 times)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Food and Photography
« on: June 11, 2015, 10:49:22 AM »
I think that many of our members can relate to the topic of photographing food, including pizza, served at restaurants and pizzerias:

http://www.cheatsheet.com/business/is-instagram-ruining-the-restaurant-experience.html/?a=viewall

Peter

Offline HBolte

• Supporting Member
Re: Food and Photography
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 01:43:54 PM »
I think it gives good exposure, free advertising for the restaurant. I posted this on FB from Momofuku Noodle Bar, it only took a second, my food did not get cold. They will get business from some friends of mine that otherwise would not have know about it.

I even cleaned it up in Photoshop before posting it. Original on bottom.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 04:28:08 PM by HBolte »
Hans

Offline R2-Bayou

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 02:23:35 PM »
I often take photos with a big SLR camera at restaurants when I travel and have never been hassled, the food has never gotten cold, and the employees are usually happy to give me access to whatever if I ask. I think like anything, if you're annoying, your're annoying. If you're friendly, they're happy to accommodate.
"Wretched excess is just barely enough."

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 02:41:22 PM »
I've mentioned this before, but I often ask the server to ask the chef for permission to take a photo of the food. The reaction to this sign of respect is always positive and sometimes the chef has come out of the kitchen to chat with me for a while.

Online Davydd

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 06:05:33 PM »
I photograph restaurant plates all the time and most all the time I use an iPhone 6+ (currently). In fact I created a group called "Pursuing Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches" on Facebook that now has about 2,400 members snapping away at deep-fried breaded pork tenderloin sandwiches. There are well in excess of a thousand sandwich photos.

Getting back to pizza, I took this photo this spring at the Sedona Pizza Company, a restaurant in downtown Sedona that serves wood-fired pizza. I posted it to Twitter and it has been favorited and retweeted by the restaurant. I assume they were happy about it. Often my food photos get that treatment by the subject restaurants. Do I as permission? No. I think it is expected now. If they don't like it they can post signs saying so. I also have no qualms in asking for a table with the best natural light as I never use flash and with experience I can be very quick about taking a shot. In a way I suspect restaurants pay a great deal more attention knowing this goes on just like cops on dash cams. Criminy, Yelp depends on this. Jane and Michael Stern's books and subsequently Roadfood.com with members participating made it popular 15 years ago.
Davydd

Offline 2stone

• Lifetime Member
  • Vendor
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2015, 03:55:05 PM »
This is an interesting topic Peter, a picture is worth a thousand words and there are people who have the unique ability to present food in a desirable way. I sold a GG recently to a new member of the forum who is a food stylist and have seen first hand how she and her colleagues see things in a fresh way that i may have overlooked.

For inspiration you may be interested in this:   https://instagram.com/chefsroll/

pizzapan