Author Topic: 1st Test Drive Of The Red Headed Pizza Kettle  (Read 6674 times)

Offline Jackitup

Re: 1st Test Drive Of The Red Headed Pizza Kettle
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2012, 04:30:11 PM »
Just gotta finger out the new flour and the Neapolitan thing. For my 3rd drive (the 2nd being abysmal) I guess I'm getting there :-D

Jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline PuRowdy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2012, 12:34:24 AM »
What size/type of stone are you using for your bottom stone?

Offline TheRailroadBulls

• Fatboy Style!!
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2014, 05:36:56 PM »
This is the best thread I've seen on here.

I have been thinking about trying to make my own version of a Kettle Pizza grill at home from scratch and I thought to myself "i'll bet you there are some guys on the forum who have already modified this stuff and have some good info.." so I searched "Kettle Pizza", seen this thread.... scrolled down to quickly scan over if it had any useful info, and I seen that melted grate....  :-D haha you guys are the best.

Jackitup when I get my grill and start modifying it would it be alright if I picked your brain a little bit?
"Conveyor ovens make McPizza." - Scott123

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2014, 05:44:04 PM »
Not much there to pick anymore :-D Also, I ditched the Kettle Pizza for the Blackstone. If you haven't pulled the trigger yet you may want to rethink the whole thing. The Blackstone is outstanding!!

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2014, 09:41:39 AM »
Not much there to pick anymore :-D Also, I ditched the Kettle Pizza for the Blackstone. If you haven't pulled the trigger yet you may want to rethink the whole thing. The Blackstone is outstanding!!

jon
This is a big forum and I missed the Redhead topic when you first posted.  Yah, I agree the BS good, but you have some really good innovation in that setup.  Love that.
Dave

Offline TheRailroadBulls

• Fatboy Style!!
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2014, 03:49:59 PM »

jon

From what I've read the Blackstone only has a cooking surface of 16" and with the 22.5" Kettle it seems like the better for me cause I like making big NY style pizza. Is there something like the blackstone that will make bigger stuff? What do you think the max size pie I could get out of a Kettle? I seen the insert thing they have no for the 26" Kettle and I'm even considering that... but I'm not sure how well it would distribute heat...
"Conveyor ovens make McPizza." - Scott123

Offline Gosseni

« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2014, 06:26:09 PM »
I liked my Kettle Pizza. Problem was the Weber was not up to the extreme heat after a dozen firings. It also took an extraordinary amount of fuel to sustain 800 degrees. About an entire bag of charcoal and another bag of mesquite chunks for three pizzas. Temperature was hard to regulate as well because I could not get additional fuel into the right area of the oven without taking off the lid. But it was cheap and the product was good. I still have mine if any if anyone wants a used version. Moved on to a different solution.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2014, 06:37:33 PM »
. Is there something like the blackstone that will make bigger stuff?

TheRailroadBulls,

I don't know if this will give you some ideas of modding something but Steve (Ev) made a neat BBQ mod that makes great pizzas.  If you are interested in seeing it and the pizzas some of them are at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=20006.msg196256#msg196256  Steve also posted more about his portable oven at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=14444.msg144118#msg144118

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline jsperk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2014, 07:22:36 PM »
From what I've read the Blackstone only has a cooking surface of 16" and with the 22.5" Kettle it seems like the better for me cause I like making big NY style pizza. Is there something like the blackstone that will make bigger stuff? What do you think the max size pie I could get out of a Kettle? I seen the insert thing they have no for the 26" Kettle and I'm even considering that... but I'm not sure how well it would distribute heat...

I couldn't make 16 inch pies in my pizza kettle like I can in my Black Stone. Maybe I didn't practice enough but the bigger the pie the more problems I had. I would burn the back end because it was so hot but the front of the pizza wasn't cooked enough to get my peel under and spin the pie. I had to stick with smaller pies for a more even bake. I did get some good pies out of the kettle pizza though.

No regrets in getting rid of it for the Black Stone.

pizzapan