Author Topic: Stone use question  (Read 1217 times)

Offline PizzaDanPizzaMan

• Supporting Member
Stone use question
« on: October 23, 2005, 10:40:47 AM »
I had a baking stone I used for 3 or 4 years until it finally came apart. I am currently baking all my pizzas on my gas (converted propane to natural gas with oversize orifices so it runs pretty hot) BBQ, but I am looking for another stone now that it is cooling off outside, I much prefer the peel to stone approach rather than the perforated aluminum pans I am using on the grill. Anyway my question, I was told a long time ago that the stone should go right on the bottom of the oven. Not the bottom rack but right on the bottom of the oven, closest to the burner. I can't seem to find any current information to back up this idea. I did use my previous stone in this manner as stated above, and it did last many years. I also rarely removed it from the oven so I don't think that this method was the result of the stone finally giving up. Does anyone here also put their stone directly on the bottom of the oven?

Thanks,
BTW this has become my favorite forum. Thanks to all of you knowledgeable folks for sharing this great information.

Dan

Offline JF_Aidan_Pryde

Re: Stone use question
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2005, 04:50:31 AM »
If you managed to use it with good effect before, I see no reason why you shouldn't continue. Every oven has different heating characteristics. The only way to find out what's right for your oven is to experiment. I've been at it for two years and I'm still changing stone placement strategies. It's a lot of fun. :)

Btw, I have a stone that is shattered to *eight* peices. I am still using it to good effect, jig saw style.  ;D