Author Topic: Does BEER really compliment a pizza?  (Read 3737 times)

Offline pizzaoven dot com

Does BEER really compliment a pizza?
« on: July 12, 2012, 11:37:44 PM »
Just so you know; I love beer. I am not a drunk, I really love the tastes. I even homebrew myself, although, I just started. My favorite type of beer are IPA's. I think that an ice cold IPA and a piping hot meat lover pizza with green peppers, onions, hot peppers, and black olives go together like well a freaking good a*s slice of pizza and in ice cold brew! It is what it is but what are some of your favorite beer/pizza combo's? Do you pair your toppings to a specific brew? An all veggie thin crust always comes with a glass of white wine at my house? Share some of your combos and suggestions with me! I am going to complie the information and use it in an article on pizzaoven.com  :chef:

The menu tomorrow Greek Pizza with an olive oil and herb sauce and an English Pale Ale  :pizza:
Christina Koller

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
Re: Does BEER really compliment a pizza?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 02:57:25 AM »
Heck yeah beer compliments pizza!

I couldn't agree more about the IPA. IMO, IPA goes great with pizza or just about any food for that matter. The same goes for an Amber Ale or Red.

With smoked meats I like something darker like a Brown Ale, Porter, or Stout.

I stay away from Hefeweizen (or any wheat beer for that matter) with pizza because the combination gives me terrible gas. :-[  It must be the residual yeast in the wheat beer. I drank a couple Hefeweizens with pizza once and...well lets just say I slept on the couch that night.  :-\  Sorry if that's TMI.

I think that Neapolitan pizza pairs better with wine.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 11:09:25 AM by Colonel_Klink »
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Offline Fire-n-smoke

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 09:05:33 AM »
Just got back from Italy last weekend and while there had both wine and beer with the pizza.  They had peroni and Merratta beers and both were excellant with the pizza; unfortunatley they don't have Merratta here in the states (or at least I cant find it).  Then we also had a good pinot grigio with a prosciutto and mushroom and man was that good!  So I went out yesterday and bought 4 bottles pinot and a case of peroni; tonight i make a prosciutto and mushroom (wish I had some porcini mushrooms) and not sure which we will drink but i figure whatever does not get drunk tonight, ill just have to make another pie tomorrow and drink the other.
tom

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 09:52:20 AM »
I believe a pizza compliments the beer but hey, which came first, the chicken or the egg?   ;D

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 10:55:15 AM »
 :chef:
Christina Koller

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 10:56:29 AM »
I believe a pizza compliments the beer but hey, which came first, the chicken or the egg?   ;D

That is so true, but, you know what really does it for me is two beers with pizza
Christina Koller

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 11:06:04 AM »
Nevermind...Did you ever try to modify one of your posts and end up quoting it by mistake?...Ooops  :-[
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 11:11:25 AM by Colonel_Klink »

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 11:06:50 AM »
Heck yeah beer compliments pizza!

I couldn't agree more about the IPA. IMO, IPA goes great with pizza or just about any food for that matter. The same goes for an Amber Ale or Red.

With smoked meats I like something darker like a Brown Ale, Porter, or Stout.

I stay away from Hefeweizen (or any wheat beer for that matter) with pizza because the combination gives me terrible gas. :-[  It must be the residual yeast in the wheat beer. I drank a couple Hefeweizens with pizza once and...well lets just sat I slept on the couch that night.  :-\

I think that Neapolitan pizza pairs better with wine.

Meat and darker beers are very complimentary to each other. Meats are heavy and the heavy beer coats is really well. You can also get that smoked flavor from your beer which is nice. I will have to say that I do love vegetables and wine, however, red sauce and wine are not my favorite combo's. I have to have beer or a rich red with tomato based sauces. If it has oregano in it the white wines just do not taste right to me.
IPA's are by far my favorite beer. I was in North Carolina a few weeks ago and was able to sample some of their local IPA's... so good. I would move there based on the beer selection alone. The pizza was a also good. We went to one place called the Villiage Inn which is a pizza buffet and I was not impressed. They did serve Yingling which is always good out of a tap.
Christina Koller

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2012, 11:39:11 AM »
Christina, you say that you started homebrewing, have you made an IPA yet?

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2012, 02:12:44 PM »
Beer is no different than wine.....there are many styles and flavor profiles in each and many possible matches that enhance the quality of the meal.

Homebrewing is great fun. Nothing like the smell of a good rolling, boiling wort! --K
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2012, 05:02:21 PM »
Homebrewing is great fun. Nothing like the smell of a good rolling, boiling wort! --K
+1

Offline atom

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2012, 06:28:22 PM »
Leine Summer Shandy + NY Street Slice  ;D

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2012, 12:25:40 PM »
Leine Summer Shandy + NY Street Slice  ;D

= one mouth watering girl!!

That is such a great beer and super affordable too. I had it introduced to me from a gal from Michigan. I had never seen it now it's all over the place. Sooo good!!
Christina Koller

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2012, 10:42:23 PM »
Kiki, the former Harrisburg, PA street dog, seems to prefer Stoudt's American Pale Ale with or without her pizza and so do I...   ;D

Offline Cdragon

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2012, 11:18:53 PM »
You lose some of the flavor with ice cold beer.  That is fine with major brewers since they usually don't have much taste anyway.

Where in NC were you PizzaOven? Asheville? Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill?

I've really cut back on my consumption of beer. And I haven't brewed in a while. I've done Porter's, California Common/Steam Beer. Lager, IPA, Pumpkin Ale, Red Ale and others. For Christmas I've tossed some chocolate into the Porter.  Other than my first batch of swill everything was pretty good and some have been great.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2012, 11:54:34 PM »
Kiki, the former Harrisburg, PA street dog, seems to prefer Stoudt's American Pale Ale with or without her pizza and so do I...   ;D
I'll bet Kiki would eat a "Jacks" too.....once she got her beer buzz on (she looks pretty smart ;) )!
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2012, 12:56:27 AM »
I'll bet Kiki would eat a "Jacks" too.....once she got her beer buzz on (she looks pretty smart ;) )!

Oh, Kiki's definitely a smartie being half-Border Collie and all.  About six or seven years ago now, she somehow found out her previous humans were looking to get rid of her so she took off seeking a new home on her own and ended up here with us, no lie!!!  LOL   :)

I don't know about the Jack's there, Bob.  She has a fairly discriminating palate when it comes to both beer and pizza.   ;D
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 12:58:25 AM by PowerWagonPete »

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2012, 01:04:08 AM »
Now Timmy......it's not fair to Lassie, you getting her drunk all the time....
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2012, 08:03:03 AM »
Now Timmy......it's not fair to Lassie, you getting her drunk all the time....

LOL Bob!!!  When the economy went south a few years back, alcohol was the very first item eliminated from the family budget.  Having grown up in a household where the evil of drink manifested itself quite often, that wasn't a difficult decision to make at all.   :)

Nowadays, I'd rather spend the money on decent dog food and quality pizzamaking ingedients.  Priorities, priorities...   ;D

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2012, 01:24:19 PM »
I wish I liked beer with pizza. I'd save a ton of money.

Actually I do like beer with pizza - just not NP, and I don't eat much other than NP.  :-D

CL
Pizza is not bread.