Author Topic: Does BEER really compliment a pizza?  (Read 3731 times)

Offline Alan23

Re: Does BEER really compliment a pizza?
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2012, 05:26:57 PM »
Well, certainly not wine.  That's just wrong.

Louis Prima had a song called "Pizza and Beer".  You can probably find it on a 78rpm record.

A

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2012, 05:39:19 PM »
Not in Texas it ain't!!     :-D
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2012, 05:42:22 PM »

Ouch, just stick a sharp stick in my eye next time.  :'(
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Fire-n-smoke

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2012, 09:44:16 AM »

Louis Prima had a song called "Pizza and Beer".  You can probably find it on a 78rpm record.

A

I had originally thought the same thing until my trip to Italy.  They serve wine with everything and it really is good.  As for just a NP, then yes I agree just beer,

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2012, 10:02:45 AM »

I had originally thought the same thing until my trip to Italy.  They serve wine with everything and it really is good.  As for just a NP, then yes I agree just beer,
"just" a NP??!! That is the EXACT type of pizza where wine can enhance the true nature of it's experience. Minimal, usually gourmet additions to a brilliant combination/balance of cheese, tomato, and bread/crust.
Reread what you just said above...NP stands for Neapolitan, right?

Maybe you meant to say Pizza Hut?!     :-D

Offline Fire-n-smoke

« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2012, 02:01:18 PM »
"just" a NP??!! That is the EXACT type of pizza where wine can enhance the true nature of it's experience. Minimal, usually gourmet additions to a brilliant combination/balance of cheese, tomato, and bread/crust.
Reread what you just said above...NP stands for Neapolitan, right?

Maybe you meant to say Pizza Hut?!     :-D

I know what NP means.  For me I like a minimal style pizza with beer, no eggplant, zucchini flowers or any other crap, just pizza.  Now when I had prosciutto and mushroom pizza, wine was great with that, both white and red. Also if you have other toppings, wine can compliment the styles of veggie or meats one uses.  But the same goes for beer; it too compliments certain styles of pizza.  I know I am no anthony burdain (nor do I want to be) but in my opinion if I dont try it I cannot make an opinion on it.
As for pizza hut, I usually eat that right before i need to chum for fishing.   :-D :-D

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2012, 02:07:01 PM »
For the Pizza Hut, drink a bunch of beer or wine before the pizza, then it doesn't matter as much.
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Offline Alan23

« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2012, 05:53:54 PM »

A

I have to confess, in light of the responses, that to me "pizza" means Western New York bar pizza.  I suppose that wine would be just right with one of those puffy-rimmed things with fancy toppings.  I could completely go with that.

Offline frankerector

« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2012, 11:02:00 AM »
Just so you know; I love beer. I am not a drunk, I really love the tastes. I even homebrew myself, although, I just started. My favorite type of beer are IPA's. I think that an ice cold IPA and a piping hot meat lover pizza with green peppers, onions, hot peppers, and black olives go together like well a freaking good a*s slice of pizza and in ice cold brew! It is what it is but what are some of your favorite beer/pizza combo's? Do you pair your toppings to a specific brew? An all veggie thin crust always comes with a glass of white wine at my house? Share some of your combos and suggestions with me! I am going to complie the information and use it in an article on pizzaoven.com  :chef:

The menu tomorrow Greek Pizza with an olive oil and herb sauce and an English Pale Ale  :pizza:

I like all Pizza's and almost all Beers..

I do not discriminate choices.

When it comes to Pizza and Beer it's all good...........

8)

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2012, 12:11:19 PM »
I like all Pizza's and almost all Beers..

I do not discriminate choices.

When it comes to Pizza and Beer it's all good...........

8)
Here here....well said!!   Ummm, well....with maybe an exception or 2. Some things just beg for good 'ol hard liquor....definitely before, an prolly after too.   ;)

Offline Giggliato

« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2012, 12:27:25 PM »
An IPA and a spicy pizza sounds good, in fact it is quite good, I eat and drink this combo just about every day  ;D

I usually like stouts and porters with my desserts, so I suppose they would go well with a dessert pizza. I think a belgian style ale with a lot of apple flavor might go well with a neapolitan, I'll have to try that later today.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2012, 09:01:30 PM »
I prefer beer to wine with normal pizza, but for a true Neapolitan, I can't think of anything that would go better than a brisk table red.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2012, 10:43:14 PM »
I prefer beer to wine with normal pizza, but for a true Neapolitan, I can't think of anything that would go better than a brisk table red.

Most anything red.  ;D Amarone tonight - a far cry from my normal fare. - yet very yummy.
Pizza is not bread.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2012, 10:36:50 AM »
Several years ago, I recall reading that Malcomb Forbes, the late billionaire founder and publisher of Forbes magazine, and a wine lover and collector, was fond of drinking Chateau Mouton Rothschild wine (a first growth Bordeaux) with his Big Macs. I don't know if he liked or ate pizza or if he was a beer drinker, but I suspect that if he had one of Craig's Neapolitan pizzas in front of him he would have reached for an old Mouton.

Peter

Offline pizzaoven dot com

« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2012, 03:24:42 PM »
You lose some of the flavor with ice cold beer.  That is fine with major brewers since they usually don't have much taste anyway.

Where in NC were you PizzaOven? Asheville? Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill?

I've really cut back on my consumption of beer. And I haven't brewed in a while. I've done Porter's, California Common/Steam Beer. Lager, IPA, Pumpkin Ale, Red Ale and others. For Christmas I've tossed some chocolate into the Porter.  Other than my first batch of swill everything was pretty good and some have been great.

We were in Hickory for a few days and up in Frank at our cabin.  I did stop in Asheville though that place has some good spots to go to. I really like Boone they have a place there called Macado's that is AMAZING! I had a house brew and pizza it was to die for!
Christina Koller

« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2012, 03:26:30 PM »
Several years ago, I recall reading that Malcomb Forbes, the late billionaire founder and publisher of Forbes magazine, and a wine lover and collector, was fond of drinking Chateau Mouton Rothschild wine (a first growth Bordeaux) with his Big Macs. I don't know if he liked or ate pizza or if he was a beer drinker, but I suspect that if he had one of Craig's Neapolitan pizzas in front of him he would have reached for an old Mouton.

Peter

That is classy! I don't know how I would feel about myself after eating and drinking that combo though  :'( 
Christina Koller

« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2012, 03:28:28 PM »

I agree, would have to be certified... I am not on a  :pizza: mission!!
Christina Koller

« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2012, 12:07:21 AM »
Kiki, the former Harrisburg, PA street dog, seems to prefer Stoudt's American Pale Ale with or without her pizza and so do I...   ;D

Okay so cooking tonight I may have found the best one ever!! I had a Hoppyum IPA straight out of North Carolina WHHHAAATTT with gluten-free pizza dough fresh basil, mozz slices, tomato, and drizzled with extra virgin olive oil. I added some oregano and crushed red pepper to spice it up a bit. It was to DIE for!!!
Christina Koller

parallei

« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2012, 12:16:48 AM »
Most anything red.   Amarone tonight - a far cry from my normal fare. - yet very yummy.

Amaorne in late July.....in Houston!  You're a braver man than I. ;D

I'll go for a crisp light Pils.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2012, 08:41:19 AM »
Amaorne in late July.....in Houston!  You're a braver man than I. ;D

Lots and lots of training my friend... lots and lots of training.
Pizza is not bread.