Attempts 2, 3 & 4 were disasters. If found out that 2 of my 1/2 teaspoons are more than my teaspoon, by quite a bit. I went to half gallon batches just so I could do more experiments, but in doing so, I used the faulty spoon and this process is so sensitive, that it totally screwed me. I have a digital ph meter on order. In the mean time, I'm compensating manually.
Batch 5 was the first that was really mozzarellla. This could be sold in a store. It's not the best in the world, but it was good. I probably made it too salty. It was oddly too buttery (is anything ever TOO buttery?). The unhomogenized milk itself is from Iowa and is very yellow (think corn) and creamy and the cheese is even more yellow. I didn't put it on a pie and ate it all.
I'll make 2 batches tomorrow. These were just citric acid and rennet. I'm going to cut back on the acid even more and see what happens.
I ordered a lot of supplies from leeners.com, which has more stuff and cheaper prices than cheesemaking.com. I'm going to move up to live thermophillic cultures for the acid (instead of the citric acid) and lactobacilli for flavor, along with mild lipase, liquid rennet (instead of the tablets) and possibly some calcium chloride for stabilization. I will post up a lot on all this once I've perfected it. This is much harder to get right than it looks. I think the best way to do this is to commit yourself to making 10 or 15 batches in a short amount of time to work out the kinks.