Author Topic: Pizza Hut pan paydirt?  (Read 2866 times)

Offline BBH

Re: Pizza Hut pan paydirt?
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2013, 08:52:48 AM »
A suggestion?

It's pretty interesting what you are doing....basically, proofing, retarding then proofing again with dough in the pan the whole time.  I'm not sure how consistent the bottom crust would be since it's going to take in the oil during the entire process - no?  So, the dough will take in X amount of oil and leave Y amount and trying to figure out what won't be absorbed might be kinda tough...and to make that consistent....

If you want the dimpled bottom oil is necessary + pan rise.

How about this?

Mix the dough up as you have.  (personally I would put oil in last)
Ball and Refrigerate (no 1 hour proof)
Retard for 12 +
Remove and let warm for 60 to 90 minutes
1.5 to 2 oz oil in Pan (for 12")  - Pure OO, Soy or Peanut
Pan the dough
Let rise for 60 to 90

I think this might be more consistent?  You are taking the oil absorption process from 13 hours or so across room temps + retard down to only 60 to 90 minutes.  This might give you more control.  I suspect with the yeast percentage it would rise in an hour if the room is warm.

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2013, 06:49:44 PM »
Take 3 later tonight.  Increasing ferment time to 20hrs and oil to 3.25TBSP.  Preheat stone at 550 and turn down to 500.  Moving down to 2nd rack as well.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 08:11:44 PM by pythonic »
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2013, 09:15:49 PM »
So here is my 3rd attempt.  Preheated stone at 525 for 30 minutes.  Baked for 12 minutes.  Added a little too much cheese and tried to move top heat down with foil for last 5 minutes but it wasn't enough.  Crust was better but still needs improvement.  Got a little crunch but not quite enough.  Need to get my hands on a Pizza Hut pan though to really nail this.

If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2013, 09:26:02 PM »
Nate,
That is a faaantastic looking pizza pie.....and the blistering on your crust rim is awesome. Looks way better than a PH Pan!  :chef:
What is going on with this crispy bottom crust dealio? Do you really think it's the pan...have you tried a dark anodized DD pan yet?   I have a 9in. one; you got a recipe to recommend, I'll give it a shot tomorrow.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2013, 09:50:09 PM »
what was your stone temp?  My stone generally takes just about an hour to heat up.  A hotter stone would help you achieve more bottom cooking relative to the top.

If you don't want to preheat for an hour, a second option is to preheat the stone as high as the oven goes for 30 minutes, and then reduce the temp to 450 or so just before you put the pie in.  I do this all the time.

pizzapan