Author Topic: What's with the lack of cheese? Also, no chunks in da sauce!  (Read 1508 times)

Offline RSMBob

• I Love Pizza!
What's with the lack of cheese? Also, no chunks in da sauce!
« on: October 05, 2005, 06:12:40 PM »
I've been lurking around here for a few months and posted occasionally. I DO think some of you are nuts with your pizza-obsessivelness, but if you're gonna be nuts, it's a good kinda nuts to be! I share your interests if not your full level of passion.

One thing I have noticed from a lot of the descriptions and pictures here is the large number of pizzas which seemingly have a very small amount of cheese on them, almost like islands of cheese, instead of being fully covered. Any reasoning/jusitification of this and to what category or classification this fits into? I think a pizza CAN have too much cheese (unlike some others) but it appears that a good number of the pizzas I see pictured are mozzarella-challenged.

Also, as a personal taste, I like pizza SAUCE, not tomato chunks. I'm not a big fan of tomato pieces but would like to come up with a great flavorful sauce that does not suffer from oversprocessing and pulverizing fresh or canned tomatoes. FYI, I'm a native Chicagoan in SoCal who likes both thin and deep dish style pizzas.

Offline lilbuddypizza

• Cheesy dude
Re: What's with the lack of cheese? Also, no chunks in da sauce!
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2005, 07:12:54 PM »
You know what? Everybody has different tastes. I LOVE extra extra sauce and well done to the point of brown-ness, but a lot don't. I know people that loathe extra sauce. What can ya do?

Offline chiguy

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2005, 09:06:15 PM »
 Hi, RSMBob
 I understand you may be puzzeld by some of these pizzas being a Chicago native, the example of pizza you are speaking of with the lack of cheese is probably the Neapolitan version, created in Naples, Italy a couple hundred years ago. This is the birthplace of pizza. The Tomatoe,Cheese and Basil that is so popular is the first version ever made and called Margherita after The Queen of Italy. Although this is not my favorite pizza either,WITHOUT IT all the Famous Chicago pizzaeria such as, Lou Malanatis,Gino's,Uno's,
Giordanos,PompeiBakery, Palermos and Home Run Inn would not be possible. I think it's fair to give the Neapoleans that much respect. Are any of the above i named your favorite Chicago Pie??        Understanding Chicagoan, Chiguy

Offline PizzaPirate

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2005, 10:32:04 PM »
Hi RSMBob.  I too have been troubled by the apparent cheese boycott on pizzas.  :( However, I do have to disagree on one point you made.  I feel that if you can lift the pizza off of the screen/stone/tile/asphalt without using a crane, then it does not have enough cheese.   ;D  Sauce can also be good - it helps hold the cheese on the pie, whereas chunks allow it to slide off into the bowels of the oven never to be seen again until as a heap of ash during the cleaning cycle. 

No connection to the dairy industry, just a satisfied customer.

Lance 

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2005, 08:43:24 AM »
My take on the lack of cheese thing: The crust of most American pizzas seems to serve simply as a delivery platform for cheese and other toppings. When you take the Neapolitan approach that the crust is the most important part of the pie and that the toppings just serve to accompany the crust, then you end up with the kind of pizzas you describe: a little sauce, a little basil, a little cheese, maybe a splash of oil. When done correctly so that all of these elements are in perfect balance with a delicious crust, you have true heaven, something that must be tried at least once before you condemn it. The crust for this kind of pizza is a great labor of love requiring a lot of experience to master. On a good day, I get close. As Pete says: still learning.

Bill/SFNM

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2005, 08:59:49 AM »
RSMBob,

I stand guilty of all charges, including the "nuts" part :).

I am also a light user of cheese, although it may not always be evident from the photos I post (I try to spread the cheese out lightly but uniformly). I use less cheese than most mainly because of the calorie count and the high fat content. If you look at page 23 of this link: http://www.pizzamarketplace.com/RightToppings.pdf, you will see that for a 16-inch pizza, a light usage of cheese is considered 7.25 ounces, a medium usage of cheese is considered 10.5 ounces, and a heavy usage of cheese is considered 14 ounces. My usage doesn't even qualify as light.

Peter

Offline buzz

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2005, 10:44:49 AM »
This time of year, I have squirrels outside my door waiting to bury me for the winter.

I like to make lower fat/calories pizzas (except deep dish!), full of veggies and with less oil in the crust and less cheese. The thin crust I've been making lately is wonderfully flavorful without the high oil content, and I can easily control the amount of cheese. I find that by using sweet onions the flavor is enhanced.

As for the sauce--you can make an excellent thin crust sauce with uncooked store-bought tomato sauce (Hunt's is very good, I find) and adding garlic, spices, etc. to your taste. Very quick and easy.