Author Topic: Sheeting techniques  (Read 971 times)

Offline Barry

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza Passion Perserverance
Sheeting techniques
« on: October 16, 2005, 09:58:33 AM »
Hi Pizzaholics,

Elsegundo mentioned in a posting a few days ago, that he had observed an interesting sheeting technique somewhere in Oregon.

This reminded me of what I had observed at, IMHO, probably the best Pizzeria in Johannesburg, South Africa.

The dough is made of a blend of imported 00 and local all-purpose flour. Beer yeast is used, and the dough appears to have a high hydration. The dough is cold fermented in a refrigerator for just over 24 hours and the "large ball" of dough is then brought out and left on the rolling counter (near the oven) to warm up to room temperature.

Smaller ball of about 250 grams are cut from this "large ball" and flattened and dusted before being rolled through a sheeting machine. The base is then dusted again, and FOLDED OVER, before being fed through the sheeting machine again. This process of dusting, folding and sheeting is repeated 3 or 4 times.

Apparently, this adds plenty of air to the dough and resolves the high hydration. Any comments ?

The dough base is, by this time, not quite round, but nice and thin. The shape is cut to a perfect round 12" base, and it is the allowed to REST for at least 10 - 15 minutes before being dressed.

The base is oiled with olive oil (excepting the outer edge/crust) and great toppings are added before the whole thing is cooked at VERY HIGH HEAT in a wood fired oven. The pizzas taste great - light airy bases that are chewey and crisp with great flavour.

I have assumed that sheeting would de-gas dough, and that this folding technique has compensated for this. Any comments ?

Barry in sunny Johannesburg, South Africa

Offline elsegundo

• Shakey's not stirrred
Re: Sheeting techniques
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2005, 11:12:32 AM »
If you read the Round Table postings by ThatOneGuy he describes in detail how one chain does the sheeting process. This is also the method used in cracker making, including cheese crackers as show on the cooking channel.

Usually there is a business letter fold followed by subsequent thinning passes.
You end up with three layers which separate a little during baking. There also is a book fold which produces four layers. The more layers the more dense, the less the more flaky. Learned that from the pastry book writers.

I use my hand cranked pasta maker to approximate the sheeting techniques described. With practice I now produce individual sized (5-6 ounce) crackery pizza that are better than most pizza I buy.

pizzapan